iPads (and Other Tablets) are Killing Free Hotel Wi-Fi

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gorehound

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
IPADS & the Internet in General has killed more than just Free Wifi.
Lots of Retail Stores have died or are dying and right in your town.
How many empty Storefronts do you see ?

jryan388

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009
All I do with a tablet is browse or Facebook or maybe youtube 480p. Whereas with a real computer its more like 10GB steam games or 1080p streaming

lucky015

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
So basically they are complaining that people using their "Free" service is ruining it for everyone.

They may market it as a free service but it is not by any means Free, It is included in room fee.

ThisIsMe

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
[citation][nom]Camikazi[/nom]You realize that 200kb is still about 10 times faster then dial up yes? Dial up might say 56k but you rarely average near that, it's usually much lower.[/citation]
[citation][nom]AMD X6850[/nom]56k dial up is about 7kb/s (56k = 56 kiloBITS, not kilobytes).So 200kb/s internet is almost 29x faster than 56k dialup.[/citation]

kb = kilobit
KB = kilobyte

kbps or kb/s or Kbps or Kb/s = kilobits per second
KBps or KB/s = kilobytes per second

1(one) kilobyte = 8(eight) kilobits

So if you take the full 56kb/s of a 56K modem that would equal 7KB/s.

Wire speeds and transmission speeds for digital communication are almost always listed using bps or b/s (bits per second). The data storage industry typically uses Bytes to reference the amount of data something can store. However, many popular OS's, web browsers, and download managers will show you the download speed using Bytes per second (KBps) instead of the network transfer rate which would normally use bits per second (Kbps). The reason for this is because people see and expect that they are downloading a file of a given size and that file is measured using Bytes and not Bits. Most people know what the Kilo, Mega, and Giga means, but they would get lost when trying to figure the conversion for Bit to Bytes as well. So if you download a 100MB file using a 56K modem at max speed it will show you that the file is being saved at a rate of about 7KBps and it will take about 3 hours 58 minutes and 6 seconds to complete the download.

So anyways, the point is that 200kb/s is only about 4 times faster than dialup (56kb/s). This obviously is still far better than dialup which is usually also prone to added latency from packet loss caused by numerous external sources.

Also, not sure what Alidan was getting at. With a 45M down/5M up connection a hotel could run 100 devices at 450Kbps down/50Kbps up. Now this is also assuming that they would all be running at that max speed all the time. Since this doesn't happen, you could easily support 200+ devices by limiting the per device transmission rate to 5Mbps down/384Kbps up under most normal conditions. Of course you probably wouldn't even need the limit in a lot of cases. It would only be necessary to keep the few that would abuse it and use all the bandwidth they can the entire time and ruin it for others.

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
i devices are hogging bandwidth, just charge them per 100mb's fees similar to the pay per view movie fees.
would like this to be a major uproar to the point it puts features into devices that remove ads esp video ads instead of having to install 3rd party software there should be a button to disable ads just like pop ups and telemarketer prohibitions to cell phone users.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
connections have gotten a lot faster over the years. They can spend close to $1000 a month for a 1000mbit up/down connection which is more than enough for a hotel.

the reason why hotel internet sucks is because most hotels are run by people who understand very little about technology.

just like with consumer internet your pricing will rarely be updated to market value. Thus their dual T1 connection (3mbit/s up and down) will be shared by all customers and cost more than a gigabjt fiber connection.

(just like how you get the Verizon DSL customer with 768k download and 256k upload that is paying $60 a month because they never redid their internet package from when they originally signed up in 1998)

cpatel1987

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
What kind of Hotels are we talking about here? Because as someone whos in a family of hotel owners, I've NEVER heard about such complaints. I guess what I'm trying to say is the one "opinion", aka Garrison's, in this article is not really a concern for hotel owners. In comparison, paying extra for the next tier is a minor expense.

poxenium

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2009
Today, when even the cheapest Wi-fi routers feature advanced bandwidth management for at least 20-30 heavy downloader clients at a time, I fail to see what the hotels' problem is. If the total internet bandwidth is divided equally, then iPads and "other smartphones" will get the same internet speed. Only iPad users will suffer, if they really do need 4-times more bandwidth than smartphone users.
Cost? Let's say that a hotel room costs 100$/24h, so how much does the Internet connection cost, if the owner is complaining about free Wi-fi? 10-20 dollars/day?
Something is terribly wrong with the internet infrastructure, if rational people start saying things like David W. Garrison did.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
Wanted to also add that proper QOS can solve most saturation issues.

my aunt runs a pizza/ coffee shop and offers free wifi to customers (to keep the signal from spilling out too much, I set up downward facing parabolic antennas above the ceiling.

During times of restivities/ any events that gets many people outside, I showed her how to go about switching to cable "B" (2 sets of wires, 1 set goes to the antennas in the ceiling and the other goes to 2 9dbi antennas positioned for max coverage) (the ssid always advertises the shop)

Doing this causes more people to crowd around the shop which increases business.

During a good day with the expanded coverage, you can have nearly 60 people on the wifi at any given time (especially since the connection can be used by some near by apartments). The total connection speed is 20mbit/s down and 20mbit/s up.

The QOS shapes the upload and provides certain hard limits on downloads. To avoid using the more CPU intensive l7 filters than needed, more basic filters are applied. Port 80 and 443 have 2 stages of filters, smaller transfers under 500KB have full speed
transfers above 500KB are limited to 1.5mbit/s

L7 skype and other voip services have a higher priority than web traffic.

l7 for flash and other streaming content is limited to 10mbit/s up/down

p2p traffic while not blocked, is limited to a global 1mbit/s (allowing it to still work but it can quickly become useless for anything more than tiny files if many people try to use it at once)

The whole wireless network has a rate limit of 17mbit/s up and down (the extra padding prevents bandwidth saturation that causes pings to skyrocket so even when the network is seemingly packed, ping times are still in the 5-10ms range and web traffic is still very responsive.

The router housing all of the QOS rules is behind another router which is the main router that has it's own QOS. There are 2 routers behind the main router, this allows for both a public network and a private network where people on the public network cant monitor data on the pricate network. Since both secondary routers are connected WAN to LAN, each router gets a DHCP address assigned to it. The main router has a very basic QOS where the public router has an overall low priority and the router for the private network is excluded from all bandwidth shaping so if a worker decided to do something bandwidth intensive, it will quickly take bandwidth from the public network.

this is a simple public -private network that a hotel can implement and provide customers with "free" access that wont slow to a crawl when a ton of ipad users are on it.

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
[citation][nom]ThisIsMe[/nom]kb = kilobitKB = kilobytekbps or kb/s or Kbps or Kb/s = kilobits per secondKBps or KB/s = kilobytes per second1(one) kilobyte = 8(eight) kilobitsSo if you take the full 56kb/s of a 56K modem that would equal 7KB/s.[/citation]
Actually dialup modems used 10 bits per byte (start and stop bit) so a 56k modem would get 5.6KB/s in theory. They usually only connected between 36k and 48k tops with 44k being most common iirc. So you're nearly doubling the average speed of a dialup modem with your math.

twztechman

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010
As soon as I saw the provider (iBahn) I can speak from experience that the "advertised" high speed bandwidth is closer to dial-up. Running the speakeasy bandwidth test routinely gets me results in the 50kbs range (when it even responds).

Unless a bunch of the guests are doing major downloads or streaming high def video, there is a major lack of available bandwidth.

erloas

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2007
Yeah, I don't see the iPads as the biggest issue. I've fount hotel network service horrible for years, long before the iPhone was out, let alone the iPad. I've almost stopped trying to bring my laptop with me because they tend to be almost unusable. Been a few times where it was almost impossible to even check my email.

G

[citation][nom]beayn[/nom]Actually dialup modems used 10 bits per byte (start and stop bit) so a 56k modem would get 5.6KB/s in theory. They usually only connected between 36k and 48k tops with 44k being most common iirc. So you're nearly doubling the average speed of a dialup modem with your math.[/citation]
His math is correct, but you're correct as well. I don't remember ever getting 7 KB/s with dial-up. I was no more than 5 KB/s in most cases.

pedro_mann

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]ok, lets assume what, 20 rooms per floor on a 20 floor building, those numbers are low, but sake of discussion.i pay about 90-100... lets make that 100$ for about a 45mbit down and 5 mbit up. i would say an acceptable internet speed is about 100kb up speed, so divide that up for 5 rooms comes to, about 900kb down and 100kb up. that comes to about 8000$ a month on internet, but im going on buying 80 home lines, most likely you cant do that with a hotel. and again its also not likely that you will get 400 lines that are all decent speed out of the deal.[/citation]
Wow, your math is terrible on this. a 5 mbit up speed would allow 50 connections and allow a constant 100kbit up connection. You average hotel would only need 2 lines of that speed. A mega hotel with 20 floors a a different ballgame. Another thing to consider is that it is common to over provision connections because it is unlikely to all 50 connections are going to be uploading a large g-mail attachment all at the same time. So 2 connections totaling 90mbit down and 10mbit up could certainly do more than 100 connections and still have a passable experience. I guess the problem with over provisioning is when the pipe is too small to start with. Sharing just one slower connection and not using shaping so that one user on bittorent can ruin the entire network speed.

The actual problem most hotels have is weak wifi signal. They will drop in a linksys router or two and think that is sufficient for a large area, when infact they need carrier grade equipment from ubiquity networks or the like. A properly designed network is not going to be brought down by a bunch of ipads. Essentially it is just that most hotel networks are not designed properly in the first place so they are easily over saturated.

jivdis1x

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2006
[citation][nom]richboyliang[/nom]What about all the people who bring their laptops with them??! iPads aren't THAT much....[/citation]

They can't do much either compare to a laptop for less cost.

Sorry to feed the troll.

alyoshka

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
Actually these handhelds were never meant to be such heavy down-loaders, the problem nowadays is that the amount of minimum data being sent to and fro itself is so high that even the smallest of handhelds is capable of showing HD utube videos..... thus the problem.
As long as the provider can distinguish between a handheld and a laptop this problem is going to exist, cos the moment you have free WiFi, the amount of users usually hits the sky, bandwidth is never enough since no one ever expected so many user to get onto it.
On an average a Hotel has a 100 rooms, and caters to 25 to 30 simultaneous users at any given time, that's a little more than there usually are at a given time, but according to calculations that's the average. When the WiFi systems were setup in the Hotels they hadn't thought of unlimited data packs nor did they think about giving it to their clients on an unlimited usage condition. Like say a person going from city to city would check his mails 3 times a day in the hotel, have chat with his wife and kids like once in 3 days, so calculations were made accordingly and at the time speeds weren't that much of an issue since handhelds or laptops weren't that fast either.
But now with the growing crunching power of handhelds and laps, the requirement for faster connections and bigger ones is higher, thereby, the slow equipment users tend to loose out by getting an even slow byte of the bits left :)

Status
Not open for further replies.