iPads (and Other Tablets) are Killing Free Hotel Wi-Fi

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

who uses wifi at a hotel with all the hookers and coke there is not enough time.

ikefu

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
I travel every week for work and don't get reimbursed for internet service at my hotels

Hilton Garden Inn in Kankakee, IL has by far my favorite options

Free = 100Kb/s max

$3/day, $10/week, $30/month plans for Unlimited which usually goes about 1.5Mb/s

Everyone gets free but light fee keeps casual users off highspeed plan, bandwidth hungry me gets great speeds for a reasonable price I can afford when done on the monthly plan.

tbq

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
I think the problem is that hotel wireless networks are being saturated by people streaming Netflix or Amazon Prime on their tablets instead of having people spending $5 to watch an on-demand movie through the hotel TV system.

chuckchurch

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2005
What hotels really need is strict per-user traffic policing. 200kB/sec per user should be plenty for average use. People who want to stream Netflix or run Bittorrent will have to get over it. Between that and totally infected PCs spewing crap out, it's no wonder your average hotel internet is horrible. I've seen at times 5Kb/sec or less in some hotels. Makes getting to your email pretty frustrating.

yzfr1guy

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2002
[citation][nom]rhodenator[/nom] for about $150/month a business can get around 150Mb/sec download with about 15Mb/sec upload.[/citation]

o_0? What are you smoking because I'd love to try that insane stuff that has you thinking this malarkey. I run a business and pay $949/month for 7 T1's which provides approximately 10Mb up/down. The only other options are shared fiber garbage or Metro Ethernet, and the metro here is $1,800/month for 20Mb Up/Down..

viciouz2000

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011
seriously where are people getting these numbers, $150 for 150mb / 15mb up??? I have time warner cable internet for business (but for home/residential area), $60 bucks in garden grove ca. thats 3mb down/0.25mb up. its really not worth it to go any higher if i have to pay more than $100 bucks a month. AT&T uverse not available in my area, only faster option than cable and dsl.

richboyliang

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
[citation][nom]richboyliang[/nom]What about all the people who bring their laptops with them??! iPads aren't THAT much....[/citation]

haha 3 thumb downers are mad. what i meant is that ipads aren't THAT much of the devices that use internet in hotels! Not everyone has an ipad but many people bring their laptops with them!

Status
Not open for further replies.