iPhone 15 may get USB-C, but the rest of the world isn’t ready for USB-C yet

Jan 9, 2023
I am sorry, but this article is extremely dumb! Why on earth owner of Pixel 7 Pro didn't just go and buy official USB-A to USB-C fast charging cable and went into the holidays without any issues, but instead just generated this stupid article after buying some shady third party slow charging extension?

Jan 9, 2023
You mean your editor hasn't got a clue what they're doing. The rest of the world have been using USB-C for many years now and if they done their research before using the Pixel they would have known to purchase a USB-C charger, why would you even get a USB-C to a USB-A adapter, just complicating things for no reason.

Jan 9, 2023
This article just shows that the author made a very poor choice by deciding for some reason to use a poor quality "adapter" instead of a decent quality usb-c to usb-a charging cable (which is very much a standard and extremely common cable). I have traveled the world and have never had an issue charging my usb-c devices. This article is a bit embarrassing for a tech website... In fact I charge my pixel 6 pro using a decent usb-c to usb-a charging cable at home every day and I never have any issues.

Jan 9, 2023
What does the author think an iPhone cable is?

It's the same sort of thing that's common for usb c. Usb a to lightning instead of usb a to usb c.

I've got absolutely no idea why this would be written. It would be like looking at the (complete) lack of lightning charging ports and saying the world isn't ready for lightning.

My wife has USB c to lightning cables btw.

Jan 9, 2023
Oh bore off! Android users have been using USB C for years now. Just because you're obsessed thunder bold and lightning chargers, doesn't mean the rest of the worlds already moved on.
Stupid article.

Reactions: hydekar and iDroidX
Jan 9, 2023
like most Android phones, ships with a USB Type-C to Type-C cable.

Is that true? I've owned a half dozen USB-C phones from Samsung, Motorola, and Sony and they all came with a Type-A charger and an A-to-C cable. I bought a charger that has Qualcomm Quick Charge 3 (type A) for fast charging. I still don't own a C-to-C cable. My work laptop uses USB-C with Power Delivery for charging, but one end of the USB-C cable is built into the hub, and HP still ships a barrel jack charger with the laptop.

Reactions: hydekar and iDroidX
Jan 9, 2023
I can't believe such a stupid article was seriously posted on a "tech" website by a "tech news editor"?:oops: The website lost their credibility with this, big time.

For anyone confused:

1. First of all, the recent laws about USB-C are a challenge for apple's iPhone manufacturing because of the port on the phone, not the port on the adaptor. This article deliberately confuses between the two to make the dumbest point, especially for such a well-known website!

2. Apple already uses cables with USB-C-to-Lightening cables like the others, meaning this news editor's "struggle" would have been the same with any other phone including an iPhone.

3. Not that this is even relevant to the title, but the "8 dollar adaptor" she says she has to use is so DUMB. Usb-A to usb-C cables are more common than the flu. The whole world knows that USB-A to USB-C cables are the norm. This is also the case for Apple who, again, also switched to using usb-c ports on the adaptor's end and stopped using the more common USB-A on the adaptor's end.

4. This literally has nothing to do with the Lightening port system, the one affected by the new policies. It's like she's been living under a rock, or at least pretending to be dumb so she could write this, and clearly nobody proofread it. A tech news editor??? Really???:oops:

Jan 9, 2023
As someone from Europe who works overseas, (mainly in the Middle East and Asia, but occasionally the east coast of the US), this article is incorrect on so many grounds that I have to question the knowledge and experience of the author.

1. USB C does not offer “33% faster data transfer than lightning”, as lighting is USB 2 based and therefore offers a maximum transfer speed of 480Mbps. USB C can offer at least 5Gbps but up to 40Gbps. So lets say USB C offers at least 10x the transfer speed.
  2. The rest of the world is very ready for USB C, as most of Europe and Asia have embraced it due mainly to its proliferation on Android smartphones, MacBooks , iPads, PCs, mice etc. in fact lightning seems to be the much less used standard these days,
  3. Travelling anywhere in the world without a ubiquitous USB A to USB C cable demonstrates a lack of planning, i hope they survived the trip as if this is indicative of the authors preparedness, I’m amazed they can tie their shoes.
  4. We deserve better researched articles than this,

Jan 9, 2023
That's weird. My pixel came with a type-c to type-c cable and a type-c to type-a connector. No need to buy one.

Reactions: hydekar
Jan 9, 2023
Made an account just to comment here. I've often read Tom's Guide articles and found them reasonably respectable. This article calls all of that into question.

All flagship phones, including iPhones, have shipped with cables that use a USB-C charging brick for a few years now. A quick Google seems to indicate that the iPhone 11 Pro was the first one to ship with a USB-C charging brick.

So, clearly any issues using USB-C to charge while traveling have afflicted all flagship phone users for quite some time already. The switch from Lighting to USB-C on the phone will have no impact on that given the issue when traveling is what's on the charger not the phone.

Please research your opinion pieces before you posted them.

Jan 9, 2023
Having a quick look at this writer/editor's article history, this is one of the first articles they've written that required some actual knowledge of how technology works and not just rewording a tech news announcement about some new release or news.
Toms Guide, this editor has fluffed their resume up with absolute falsehoods. The fact they don't know how a charging cable for a phone (iPhone OR android) works and they attempted to use a 50c adapter to fast charge proves they have no idea about technology and just repost news articles that are currently popular.
Won't be trusting anything from Tom's Guide anymore, which is disappointing since I had put them at the top of my list for reliable information. But now I know they hire Instagram influencers (this is literally in the editor's bio) instead of actual tech lovers. Extremely disapponting.

Jan 9, 2023
Long time reader of Tom's Guide. I consider it a respected source for tech news. After reading this article I felt compelled to register for an account just so I could comment and say this is one of the dumbest things I've ever read. What point the writer is trying to push is beyond comprehension. What's the alternative to not having USB-C as a standard? We go backwards to micro-usb? We use a mixture of ports, including proprietary? I'm an iPhone user and even I want USB-C as a standard! All modern high end phones do not come with a USB-A cable. It's a USB-C connector for the charger port. Anyone who uses a modern phone, Lightning or USB-C, already knows about the issues with USB-A ports on older chargers and equipment. Every single "technical difficulty" in this article was due to the mistakes of the writer and no-one else. Maybe the writer needs to read Tom's Guide and learn how tech works.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2023
I'm sorry but who wrote this? A 12 year old with zero knowledge of phone cables?

Any USB a to USB C cable gives you the exact same power the USB port can provide.

The port is the problem there, not the phone or the cord.

And saying USB C is 33% faster than lightning for data transfer is the least accurate thing anyone could say when lightning is USB 2.0 at 480Mb - 0.48Gb and USB-C has 80Gb standards... Most phones are using the 5Gb standard and over 10x faster than apples antique design ...