iPhone 15 may get USB-C, but the rest of the world isn’t ready for USB-C yet

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jan 7, 2023
It's funny. Reading more posts after mine, apparently I'm not the only one to just sign up just to respond to stupidity.

Maybe the author isn't as dumb as he appears. Maybe he doesn't believe a word of what he wrote and truly did it for click bait and to get people to sign up and comment. Because really, could someone who is involved in the tech industry and writing for this site truly be that dumb?

I want to believe he purposely wrote this absurd article strictly for the purpose of traffic to the site because the idea of someone in his position being that stupid just saddens me.

Reactions: tekeeAPHulk and n3e
Jan 10, 2023
Like many others, I created an account on here just to comment on the low quality of this article. I expect better from Tom's guide.

If this article was published a decade ago, I could maybe see the point. Here are a few (chosen at random) historical USB-C products:
2015 (9 years ago) -- Apple releases the MacBook with a single USB-C port
2016 (8 years ago) -- I get my first USB-C phone (Nexus 6p)
2018 (5 years ago) -- Apple releases iPad with USB-C and MacBook pros with USB-C
2021 (1 year ago) -- some guy makes and iPhone with USB-C and sells it for $86,000
Today -- a lot (maybe most?) laptops come with one or more USB-C ports.

It's true between the variable transfer speed and charging speed, the USB-C standard is quite complicated and you're never sure what you're going to get. On the other hand, oftentimes the consumer doesn't need to be concerned about this since things will work, just not as well as they could have. For example, due to the ubiquity and compatibility of USB-C, I only take my laptop charger with me on vacation. It charges my phone, tablet, and laptop and it's great.

Really considering removing Tom's guide from my feed after this article.

n3e

Jan 10, 2023
Maybe the author isn't as dumb as he appears. Maybe he doesn't believe a word of what he wrote and truly did it for click bait and to get people to sign up and comment.

It's what I did along with a bunch of us here in the comments, yeah. Fair point.

Well, I don’t know about the reputable part based on their bio maybe change that to disreputable?
Yeah, I should've worded that better. Reputable site publishes ragebait tech article written by unvetted rookie? lol. I signed up because of this one.

Jan 10, 2023
This article is pathetic. You failed to plan for your trip and act like a child. You write tech articles and you don't have a single USB-A to C cord? I have at least 10. USB-C has been around for years and lately the majority of quality rechargeables come with it. You should also be well aware that C to C is not very common when traveling.

Reactions: tekeeAPHulk
Jan 10, 2023
It's what I did along with a bunch of us here in the comments, yeah. Fair point.

Yeah, I should've worded that better. Reputable site publishes ragebait tech article written by unvetted rookie? lol. I signed up because of this one.
Love it

Jan 10, 2023
They need to either lower the quota, or need to find people who actually know about he tech they're writing about.

USB A-to-C 3.X as well as those "charge cables" that are perplexingly wired to deliver 3.2x2 PD while only capable of USB 2.0 speeds (probably a cost thing) have been gobbled up by techie and layman alike for years now.

And lightning cables aren't exactly mating to "lightning ports in the wall."

The only folk who will have any sort of trouble are those who have genuinley been under a rock for the past 2 decades.

Jan 10, 2023
They need to either lower the quota, or need to find people who actually know about he tech they're writing about.

USB A-to-C 3.X as well as those "charge cables" that are perplexingly wired to deliver 3.2x2 PD while only capable of USB 2.0 speeds (probably a cost thing) have been gobbled up by techie and layman alike for years now.

And lightning cables aren't exactly mating to "lightning ports in the wall."

The only folk who will have any sort of trouble are those who have genuinley been under a rock for the past 2 decades.
Yeah, I’m not sure why Apple never tried lighting ports as a money grabbing scheme maybe they figured that it would annoy people too much or just wouldn’t be popular enough to mess with.

Jan 10, 2023
The power from the USB-A outlet in IFE screens as shown in the picture are notoriously slow. This aircraft should also have had household style electrical outlets, and a charger plugged into that would provide more than enough power during a long flight to watch movies and stay at 100 percent. I call b.s. on this entire article.

Jan 10, 2023
I'm really confused about this article.
Almost all the phones that have usb-c, came with a usb-a, usb-c cable.. I don't even think that it's called adapter.

Almost all devices use usb-c now days: Nintendo switch, playstation 5, modern PCs, tablets (even ipad) uses usb-c and are most likely to come with one usb-c/usb-a cable.. I really didn't get what all that surprise came from
This!

The C-C cable with phones seem to be a somewhat newer phenomena with USB 3.2+, but between it's own brick coming with a type C intake, and most folk having A to C cables lying around, as those aren't exactly mysterious fleeting sacred objects considering that was literally USB 3.0 ~ 3.1..... This person is either meeting a quota or inept.

Reactions: ClemCa

GilmourD

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I'm massively befuddled by the fact that somebody with a byline on a technology site had difficulty finding something my luddite 67-year-old mother has purchased multiple times at a supermarket or convenience store.

Jan 10, 2023
Is this article a joke? The world has been on USB-C for years. Auto manufactures has been putting usb-c outlets in their vehicle. Tech manufactures have added usb-c/thunderbolt ports on their devices for years. Phone manufactures for at least 5-6 years already. What is the editor thinking when creating this article? You can find a USB-C to USB-A cable at your local electronic store.
Just another Apple fan person trying to get the world to see that Apple is the defacto standard. Please. It's not even the #1 smartphone in multiple countries. Sorry to break it to you but Apple is behind the times.

Jan 10, 2023
I can't believe I've wasted my time reading the stupidest article in tech world ever!! Who's the writer? If this person is working for Tom's guide then he/she should be fired!!!

I wonder where was the writer got the idea from to say most android phones come with USB-C to USB-C cable? I've purchased many android phones and none of them came with such cable. Now, I have USB-C to type A cables all over my house and my office.

I think the writer is just a lightning port fanboy who's having a hard time letting it goes and accept the truth that the lightning cable just lost the battle and will become obsolete.

Jan 10, 2023
Dear Tom's Guide,
I used to consider your website a good source for Tech related articles and not sure how you decided to publish this article without any fact check. I personally travel to India every year and I do travel when I'm there. Unlike what author says in her article, I did not have any problems finding USB-C in a farming village close to 60 to 80 miles outside the nearest town (not city) . And not sure if the author knows or has any clue. Most android phones especially pixels come with a USB-C to USB-A adapter and there is no shortage of finding any type of USB cables. Another good thing with most phones unlike apple is, you can do most file transfers using Bluetooth without physically connecting to a computer. I think the author is limited in her knowledge only to Apple eco system and many people outside big cities don't care for Apple phones. That said, finding lightning cables is actually an issue outside big cities and Author is saying the opposite which isn't necessarily true. So, hopefully you guys fact check before letting people publish whatever they feel like when then have time to kill. This is the laziest and useless article like most people in the comments are saying.

Reactions: AlphaSatsuma
Jan 10, 2023
Wow... I needed to comment this article!... It is really stupid or rely fanboy.!! .. Who is letting this guy to say so many stupid things on a supposed technology blog? Is this his first Smart phone?!?!

Reactions: AlphaSatsuma
Jan 10, 2023
I don't normally comment on anything, but I registered specifically to say this is the single-most moronic article I've ever read on "tech". It beggars belief that the "editor" could even get a job writing about technology given both the fundamental inaccuracies contained within, combined with their general ineptitude. I will be removing TG from future news aggregation.

Jan 7, 2023
And that said, he goes from dumb to a loser for resorting to that low brow tactic. Maybe they'd have more traffic if they wrote better quality articles in the first place.

Reactions: n3e
Jan 10, 2023
This article is so inept I can't even begin to describe it. USB-C is so unbelievably common, and compared to the iPhone cable it's not even close. Seeing some of the other comments as well, I can know to check Tom's Guide off the reliable list.

Jan 10, 2023
I don't normally comment on anything, but I registered specifically to say this is the single-most moronic article I've ever read on "tech". It beggars belief that the "editor" could even get a job writing about technology given both the fundamental inaccuracies contained within, combined with their general ineptitude. I will be removing TG from future news aggregation.

Literally, same