iPhone 3G Slowness Problems Helped by iOS 4.2?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vant

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
At least the 3G (2008) is still getting updates.

Here is a list of some phones that won't even get Froyo:

Droid Eris (2009)
HTC Hero (2009)
Samsung Behold II (2009)

Can you believe that? Not even a year after you own a device and they stop updating it. I'll take a few months of sluggish performance (which I can choose not to even update to) with constant improving updates over no updates at all.

Go ahead, 'jumpship'. And pray that you don't have a unsupported phone after a mere year.

scuba dave

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
I gotta say, I love the "car" references.. As inaccurate, and rediculous as they are. As much as some of you people may want to ignore it, all products.. ALL, are designed with a "life expectancy in mind. For example:

Most cell phones are designed around a 18-24 month life cycle.
Most computers 2-3 years for an enthusiast, 4-7 years for the normal crowd. 20+ for the baby boomers ;P(however with comps.. this is due to tech advancements, not physical breakdown. I know of 8086's that are still running. :p)
Most cars 7-11 years.
Most dryers, washing machines, and refrigerators 14-20 years.

No company is going to design something to last forever, and outside of that life span, support rapidly deminishes, and becomes exponentally more expensive. Welcome to Capitalism people. They want your money first and foremost, and will balance everything else in whatever way they find to be the cheapest way to get the most money. Your feelings, beyond that, they could care less about. The buck rules, not your tears.

Yes, it appears iOS4 ruined some peoples iPhone 3G's.. That sucks to hear.. definitely.. Then again.. I didn't upgrade to iOS4 until I got my iPhone 4 anyway.. I saw that train wreck coming a mile away.. Running software designed for much better hardware, and expecting the same experience is a little much. The 2G and 3G are the same hardware-wise.. if it can't run on the original.. why expect it on the 3? I'm surprised Apple even allowed people to try!

Now, for anyone that says "Then why offer it for anything below a 3G at all?" True, that's "kinda" valid. They knew it wouldn't work on 2G, so they blocked that out (and of course.. I'm sure we can remember all the anti-apple crap that was said after that decision >.>) and now, with the 3G they had to decide again. And on top of all of that, a consideration that doesn't seem to be remembered is that for the most part.. haven't ALL of our smartphones slowed down with age? The older tech gets, the slower it performs.. It's just the way of things. And a two year old 3g would have not been performing as well, or as quick, as a brand new one. One that had been used on a daily basis, for hours a day, and then to try to upgrade to iOS4 just because it was "allowed"? When considering the short life-span that cell phones are designed around.. that would be the equiv of trying to install win7 on a computer built in 2003. Yes, it might have the "minimum" spec's to run the darn OS.. but you ar
ignorant to think it's going to run it well. (which ties into why I think the car reference is funny.. If you got an optional upgrade for your car.. One that is designed for the current model, and your car is at or nearing the end of its projected life... Why in the world would you even begin to think it would work?!)

Also, this makes me think about how everyone yells at apple for it's "controls". How Apple likes to make the decision on what works with what, and what is is/isn't allowed. Seems like they "loosened" the reins on this area, and the general consumer.. The "know-it-all" consumer.. fudged things up. Which I unfortunately can't say surprises me in the least bit. And as everyone knows, Apple tends to do things aimed from the bottom up, which works out well for everyone (hence the "it just works" mentality.), while the PC crowd tends to aim for the TOP down.. (Which, in my opinion, is why so many people end up screwing up their machines, goofing around with things they really shouldn't be messing with, installing, deleting, etc.)

And in the end, I realize that they were damned if they allowed it, and damned if they didn't. Maybe they tried to see if the reaction from the Apple-Hating PC crowd would be diff this time. It wasn't. Plain and simply, pc users, for the most part, are just going to bash apple without any real reason, or purpose. When they are successful, they are bashed for their tax, business model, and Steve Jobs. When they aren't really doing anything, they are bashed for wasted space, outdated hardware, and Steve Jobs. And when they fail, they are bashed for the failure(whether commercial, HR, PR, Human error, or otherwise), everything they've ever done, and Steve Jobs, Steve Jobs, Steve Jobs. True.. good ol' Steve does like to say some very humorous, and un-PR friendly comments sometimes via email.. but it's still very pathetic behavior from people who claim to be better than then "stuck up" Apple crowd. You'd think some people could just act their age, and shut up and ignore and not purchas
what they don't like, but that, obviously, is too much to expect from some people. The amount of people on the internet that LIVE for this drama is sickening. Nobody is stealing your money/checks/credit cards at night, or selling your children to purchase Apple stuff for you. So grow up, shut up, and move on.

On subject however, I hope it does speed it up..and i hope it also scales uphill. More speed, even if not needed(is there really such a thing? ;P), is always welcome in my book. :D

maverickkcot

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2010
I'm sorry but cannot believe that apple didn't test the iSO4 out on the 3G before it was released. They must have known this was going to happen but they didn't even put on a warning about the slow down. Now most of the people probably posting here are into gadgets and PC's big time. What about poor Mrs Smith that loaded up itunes and thought she was doing the right thing by upgrading because a push came through itunes saying it would upgrade her phone? To compond this she wouldn't know how to downgrade back to 3.1.3 and more over it is against apples draconian rules user agreement.

I feel for the bulk of the populus that do not understand or know a great deal about any tecnology that are taken for a ride by these companys when all they want is something that works. Apple should have told the customers with a warning through iTunes before upggrading and secondly they probably should not have released this update for the 3G.

I have a 3G and an 4G and in the last six months I have had prblems with them both. The 3G slow down and the 4G antenna problem and other issues where the 3G worked fine.

Previously owned a Nokia, Motorola and Sony/Erricsson and have never had any of these difficulties.

G

I did upgrade from iPhone 3G to iPhone 4 after this happened, but only because it worked out dirt cheap to do so (£15).

No more iPhones for me. I'll be looking at WP7 handsets next Summer.

G

Quote: "i thought apple products were meant to be user friendly" , true that mate! my iphone is shit now since 4.2!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.