iPhone 5 to Have Dual-core CPU, 8MP Camera

Status
Not open for further replies.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
People praised Apple for being first to the market with "Innovations" (note the quotes), now they're behind in the hardware department from the get-go.

And when I say behind, I mean only a few months or two, they optimize their OS and software so well it runs great even on old devices (like the iPod touch 2g etc)

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
‘superphone’
What do superphones do? Cure cancer? Bring world peace? Save the worlds from Ming the Merciless?

btw: adding "RUMOUR" to the title of articles like this would be nice.
New processor, new antenna and new camera are a no-brainer for the next iPhone, but these are still just rumours.

G

Apple be leader of Innovations is big fat lie. Apple always try to catch up and use existing techology as innovations. Fireware was the only standard that Mac has while PC doens't and people fail to remember Apple made cpu switch becuase their pround powerpc can no longer compete with PC base.

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]People praised Apple for being first to the market with "Innovations" (note the quotes), now they're behind in the hardware department from the get-go.And when I say behind, I mean only a few months or two, they optimize their OS and software so well it runs great even on old devices (like the iPod touch 2g etc)[/citation]
You're right. Apple has the weird position of being behind in most places and ahead in others (Firewire, DisplayPort, Thonderbolt, etc.).
But, if you ask me, their true "innovation" is not coming up with new ideas, but instead taking old ideas and changing them ever so slightly to the point that everyone wants it. Brilliant really.
I personally have a love-hate relationship with Apple. Love their laptops and software, but hate just about everything else about them. Especially their gadgets. Barf.

In terms of this dual core phone... is the software out there actually designed to run on dual cores? Or are we going to have one of those dual-core phones that actually only uses one core.

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
[citation][nom]pp2k[/nom]people fail to remember Apple made cpu switch becuase their pround powerpc can no longer compete with PC base.[/citation]
Apple made the switch because IBM was failing to keep up with x86 processors in terms of performance/power-use/temperature/etc. with their PowerPC processors, especially in the low-power mobile markets. As to why they picked Intel instead of AMD... it was probably because Intel's mobile line was WAY better than AMD's at the time. Probably still is, but that remains to be seen with AMD's new Fusion chips. I personally hope the Fusion chips do well, and Apple moves to AMD sometime in the future, that would make me and my AMD stock very very happy.

Anyway, I don't think Apple had any pride toward having the PowerPC chip in their computer. I mean, sure they made it a selling point, but every PC manufacture touts having an Intel chip inside their systems, so it really isn't any different. I think it was just a case of "well, PowerPC is falling behind, lets move to Intel." Of course, switching to an x86 processor had the added bonus of being able to run Windows.

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]Ragnar-Kon[/nom]I don't think Apple had any pride toward having the PowerPC chip in their computer.[/citation]

Apple made a lot of adds back in the day about how much faster PowerPC CPUs were compared to Intel Pentiums. (which was actually true AFAIK)
That's why the switch to Intel was so shocking.

Funny thing is that in a few years we might see x86 dying and ARM processors taking over the desktop market.

srgess

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
Apple is behind their concurrent. x86 dying ? lol just wait couple year and cpu will become less electricity requirement and will be in every pocket device.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Superphoone what? I rather get a Samsung's 1.2GHz Galaxy S2 with the supernice amoled+ display or wait a while longer for the 2ghx version that's slated to be released the next year. Now that is a supoerphone!

weefatbob

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009
[citation][nom]rantoc[/nom]Superphoone what? I rather get a Samsung's 1.2GHz Galaxy S2 with the supernice amoled+ display or wait a while longer for the 2ghx version that's slated to be released the next year. Now that is a supoerphone![/citation]

Yeah I am sure it will be "super" for all of 2 months till the next phone comes out, then all these current "super" phones will just be standard smartphones, give it a break on that crap please, it is like reading articles from a 13yr old pre-pubescent nerd. Just call them what they are, smartphones ffs!

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
Hold it. Are you suggesting that Apple is going to update their hardware to the current industry levels, just like all other manufacturers of cell phones? Earthshaking! What's next? Somehow making the casing material white??

becherovka

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
Apple copied Nokia in so many ways, they had the first touch screen prototype. I would be surprised if they didn't put a patent on it. Camera in phone, wifi tethering, phone apps. Like apple copied nokia and improved on it over time so did android copy apple and has finally improved on it.

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
So basically the iPhone 5 will catch up to phones being released right now and will be very behind the imminent Tegra 3 based phones next year?

It's no wonder Apple don't play "the numbers game", they always lose...

rsg22

Distinguished
May 3, 2010
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]People praised Apple for being first to the market with "Innovations" (note the quotes), now they're behind in the hardware department from the get-go.And when I say behind, I mean only a few months or two, they optimize their OS and software so well it runs great even on old devices (like the iPod touch 2g etc)[/citation]

Optimize their OS to run on old devices?

Hell no! My iPhone 3G disagrees with you immensely. Pretty much why I got rid of the platform.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]Ragnar-Kon[/nom]You're right. Apple has the weird position of being behind in most places and ahead in others (Firewire, DisplayPort, Thonderbolt, etc.).But, if you ask me, their true "innovation" is not coming up with new ideas, but instead taking old ideas and changing them ever so slightly to the point that everyone wants it. Brilliant really.I personally have a love-hate relationship with Apple. Love their laptops and software, but hate just about everything else about them. Especially their gadgets. Barf.In terms of this dual core phone... is the software out there actually designed to run on dual cores? Or are we going to have one of those dual-core phones that actually only uses one core.[/citation]

Great question there. Most people talk a bout companies being behind in the hardware department but in order for the hardware to mean anything the software has to be able to use it. Being that IOS's core is based on OSX it would not surprise me if that multi threaded capability is already there. The question is, will the app's actually use it.

Can anyone confirm weather or not Android actually leverages some of the current dual core processors in some of the newer phones? I am not sure there is even a way to validate that unless someone wrote some special app for that.

Apple has a release schedule, they don't just randomly release stuff whenever someone has something they don't. If it is a differentiator they will release it on the next phone but if there is another driving a particular feature then it might not make it in the next release. This does not mean they are behind, it just means that they do not respond with new hardware every other month when a new Android device comes out.

I also have to agree with you, I like Apples products in general, hate some of their business practices and they absolutely suck with their network devices. Timecapsule......... great idea from a backup perspective but as a network devices........terrible. Bridging does not work at all and wireless ranges is not very good. Even the wireless capabilities in the laptops are not that good. Great chipset though (Astheros) but I think they turned the power down so save battery life or something. Just does not have good range.

Status
Not open for further replies.