iPhone 5 Traffic Volume Already Beats Samsung's Galaxy S3

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

frombehind

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
err, this is based on add impressions... safari does not have add-blocker, so every webiste you visit will plaster you with adds. Chrome / firefox have it, the adds would not be displayed, hell they wouldn't even be LOADED... statistic is misleading =)

G

Is anyone going to comment about how Apple devices are by far the largest data hogs, and that Apple customers are by far the most ignorant customers about how much data they use and pay for?

No crap it's using more than half the total bandwidth, the amount of waste by these devices (and again - You foot the bill) borders on criminal negligence.

hotroderx

Distinguished
May 15, 2008
Why is this news? This just screams I wanted to talk about my new phone. I cant find anything ground breaking or compelling about the new Iphone 5, so I will just write some fluff article. How many people really care the Iphone 5 has more web traffic then the Samsung S3.

Then midway thought its like the author decides to try to be a real journalist instead of some high school blogger by writing about something people might care about. People might wanna here how Samsungs flagship phone is still beating Apples flagship phone even after the beating it has taken in courts.

I am not apple fan but this is not a Apple bash either this is basically a Toms hardware needs to start reporting on real news instead of how much web traffic a certain device has seen. I wouldn't wanna sit here read about how much web traffic the Samsung S3 has had either.

shardey

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010
Does this factor in the teenagers use for Facebook and Twitter? Why don't they do a statistic of what type of data for each smart phone is used.

Not to mention that this story is days old.

halcyon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2004
Who cares? The iPeople certainly don't and the savvy Android users are to busy being productive to care, me thinks (as I look approvingly at my SGS3's clean Gorilla Glass 2).

santfu

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010
Halcyon, ur spot on. Studies show that Apple buyers are in it for the "scene". It's pretty bull shit that apple stuff is easier to use or has a more intuitive os. Bought my dad a galaxy S2 a while back and he is frightened of tech usually, but loves it. I admit I did have to get him to add a locking pattern, but then I have to tell all my iPhone friends to add locks to their phones too and show them how where is the intuition there?

Anecdotally you ask iPhone 5 people how is it better and they say the size then just arm wavingly say stuff like everything is just you know a little better, than the 4s that they had.

At the end of the day what we used to call software developers, which thanks to Apple we now call "App developers" would be silly in the extreme to ignore Android as there are so many of them out there, there hardware is mixed so that adds complexity I admit. But I diverse ecosystem is a GOOD thing, there is a reason why governments break up monopolies.

greenmachineiijh

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2005
This is so useless... Sorry Tom's. These comparisons should be taken with a grain of salt by all who view... Even the ones taking the survey.

The iPhone is a gadget that REQUIRES a user to upgrade to the next version if you want the latest and greatest. The Galaxy (Android) is in a different class.Users have options to use several different ANDROID model cellphones and will not always stick to the Galaxy line.

The Galaxy line of phones are really great, but not everyone gets one or even wants one. If you want an apple phone, there is only ONE option. Of course the numbers will be bigger.

A true comparison would be something like Apple iOS vs. Google Android vs. Windows Phone vs. Blakckberry.

I am not a fan-boy of either, I just believe that stuff like this is not really a true comparison.

cnox

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2008
2 things:
1: Does this reflect the bug that had wifi traffic being routed over thier 4g connection even when connected to a local WiFi access point?

2: Is more traffic actually better? I'd want my bandwidth on my smartphone to be as streamlined as possible. So, I'm not sure that this really is anything worth bragging about. I think it all boils down to customer satisfaction. And it's been pretty low where the maps app is concerned...

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]greenmachineiijh[/nom]This is so useless... Sorry Tom's. These comparisons should be taken with a grain of salt by all who view... Even the ones taking the survey.The iPhone is a gadget that REQUIRES a user to upgrade to the next version if you want the latest and greatest. The Galaxy (Android) is in a different class.Users have options to use several different ANDROID model cellphones and will not always stick to the Galaxy line.The Galaxy line of phones are really great, but not everyone gets one or even wants one. If you want an apple phone, there is only ONE option. Of course the numbers will be bigger.A true comparison would be something like Apple iOS vs. Google Android vs. Windows Phone vs. Blakckberry.I am not a fan-boy of either, I just believe that stuff like this is not really a true comparison.[/citation]
Not exactly sure what you mean. EVERY phone, whether it has Windows, Blackberry, Android, etc requires you to upgrade your phone if you want the latest and greatest. Own a Droid Razr but want 2GB of RAM instead of one? Can't upgrade the Razr so have to get the S3.

In fact, in a way you are very wrong. While you can not upgrade hardware with the latest and greatest, since Apple demands to the cell phone carriers that only they will control OS delivery, every iPhone will get the new versions of any iOS upgrade and at the same time. Even my iPod Touch got iOS 6. This is something Google needs to start insisting for with Android.

I have a Droid Bionic, and while I love the phone from a hardware standpoint, we are only now starting to see our upgrade to ICS after waiting for months for Motorola to submit build after build to Verizon for approval.

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]john15v16[/nom]Really?...What kind of data mining statistic is this where only two phones can make up 100% of the traffic data?!? I question the validity of such a study.[/citation]
It didn't say it looked at ALL traffic data. The article says....
results of a study on web traffic volume between the two smartphones
No where does it state how much web traffic in total the 2 models account for, it is merely examining between the 2 models.

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
iHater hateraide. Bring it on Droidsheep!

On serious note both iPhone and Galaxy III are great smartphones. Why people have to bash one or the other is beyond me except for pure interwebz trolling. Be happy for the competition which allows us consumers great options for our cell phone needs :)

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I can see a few glaring issues with this 'study':

1) As mentioned by others, why are they comparing the only current iOS phone against one of many, many new Android phones?

2) How is comparing mobile ad impressions a valid way of measuring web traffic? I have Chrome on my Android phone and I have it set to always request the desktop version of sites. Does that mean that I'm not a mobile user?

3) Are they are only tracking browser traffic, which is a small percentage of even mobile web traffic? The vast majority of my bandwidth usage (and I suspect most people's) is through apps. And if they are counting ads within apps then this could just be showing that Android apps have less advertisements, which after owning an iPhone for a couple of years I can definitely believe.

techcurious

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
Of course they use the internet more.. after being disappointed with their new phone, they start looking up specs for better phones, like the GS3, to see what they are missing out on! ;) ..
or looking for a working map..
obviously I am just kidding.. or am I? hehe..

techcurious

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
[citation][nom]john15v16[/nom]Quote :
56 percent came from the iPhone 5, while Samsung's top-selling device was responsible for 44 percent of the total impressions

Really?...What kind of data mining statistic is this where only two phones can make up 100% of the traffic data?!? I question the validity of such a study.[/citation]
duhh.. Even if common sense didn't help you, reading more carefully should have.. "Online advertising firm Chitika has released its results of a study on web traffic volume between the two smartphones."
That means that when you add up the volume from these two phones only, 56% belonged to the iPhone 5.
I am not arguing in favor of this survey, but I won't find fault on invalid and wrong points.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Online advertising firm Chitika has released its results of a study on web traffic volume between the two smartphones. It found that out of "millions of mobile ad impressions", 56 percent came from the iPhone 5, while Samsung's top-selling device was responsible for 44 percent of the total impressions
All that says to me is iPhone users are subjected to a higher amount of advertising
Is that really a good thing?

john15v16

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
@wildkitten & techcurious
The "study" is prevaricating as well as this articles title very misleading...that's why educated individuals are commenting negatively on it...

Status
Not open for further replies.