iPhone Tethering Stalled Over Traffic Woes

Status
Not open for further replies.

killian101

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2007
Im calling BS. iphone is like any other "smart phone." So why is it I can tether with my other HTC Touch Pro and not an iphone? My data connection is always on, like an iphone, i hit the web, download apps, view videos, etc, etc...all like an iphone...whats the difference?

AMW1011

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009
I can just see it now...

Steve Jobs:
"Customers that want tethering can buy Android, or any other smartphone"

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]AMW1011[/nom]I can just see it now...Steve Jobs:"Customers that want tethering can buy Android, or any other smartphone"[/citation]

Not surprised that you didn't read the article but Apple implemented tethering support last June with OS 3.0 and almost every carrier across the world except AT&T supports tethering. It's actively disabled on iPhones here in the US because AT&T won't allow it because they have a crappy network.

It isn't Apple's fault that AT&T is terrible. Well I guess they are partially to blame because they chose them to launch the iPhone and haven't come out with a CDMA version yet.

will_chellam

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
Wow, tethering since Iphone OS 3.0 (June 2009)....

My Qtek S200 had that feature since 2006 when I got it, plus it did copy and paste, multitaksing and could run free/homemade/commercial applications....

Infact the only thing it didn't do was make apple fanboys cream their pants when they stroked it.... well not until I stuck the free apple sticker that came with my daughter's ipod onto the back (meaning it now does pretty much everything an iphone does...)

G

"Ramar
How does AT&T still have customers?"

begins with an i ends with a Phone........

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Just saw a new "Big Red" Verizon commercial the other day (maybe not new, but I hadn't noticed it before). I just don't understand how AT&T is still in denial over this whole situation. It's all the government's fault. If they hadn't broken up the AT&T/Southern Bell Monopoly, AT&T would have the infrastructure necessary to delivery full 1.7Mbps 3G speeds to all its customers. Damn politicians.

Simple11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2009
I had tethering on my phone for a few months, but I didn't use it much. Sure it's good yo have but I don't carry a laptop around everywhere to make it of good use.

G

Here in US, mobile carrier sucks, in Taiwan, you can do tethering without problem and cost only 24 dollars per month without contract sh...t and not 5GB restrictions. now you tell me US is far more advanced than other places.

restatement3dofted

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
You'd think that with the $80-$100/month most of us are shelling out for iPhones, we'd at least enjoy that benefit.

Realistically, how much of a traffic hit is AT&T likely to take from enabling tethering? Most of us already pay for other broadband access at home, which is likely to offer superior quality to a connection from a tethered iPhone anyway, so I don't see that becoming an in-home replacement.

I have to imagine that compared to the total number of iPhone users, those of us that would actually use a tethering feature regularly is quite small. Obviously I could be wrong, but how many people, realistically, would start carting around laptops/netbooks just because their iPhone could provide them wireless access?

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
I can tether very well, wired or wireless, with my phone. And I can assure you, its not a feature one would use a lot. If you have a smartphone, u just dont lug your laptop everywhere. Of course, ATT will not hear this kind of arguments, ever, because they usually dont listen to their customers' feedback.
Oh, I forgot to mention, this is on an Android phone, unlocked and rooted. Talk about mobile OS supremacy...

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]Not surprised that you didn't read the article but Apple implemented tethering support last June with OS 3.0 and almost every carrier across the world except AT&T supports tethering. It's actively disabled on iPhones here in the US because AT&T won't allow it because they have a crappy network. It isn't Apple's fault that AT&T is terrible. Well I guess they are partially to blame because they chose them to launch the iPhone and haven't come out with a CDMA version yet.[/citation]
Whats even more ironic is that Apple went to Verizon first for the iPhone, but Verizon turned them down. So they had to go with either AT&T (which was Cingular at the time they made the contract) or T-Mobile, which wasn't really all that popular in the US back then.
I'm sure Apple would love to make a CDMA version--how could they not? more money for them. But they had to go get themselves in some stupid exclusive contract solely because of the visual voice mail system.

When their exclusive contract ends (which I believe is soon)... well... thats when we start seeing the great downfall of ATT's iPhone empire--assuming Verizon doesn't turn them down a second time.

G

Whenever I'm away from home for an extended time with my iphone and laptop...I never have service. Keeps the desire to tether in check.

opmopadop

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
Get with the times AT&T, I have been using tethering for almost ten years... The only improvement I have soon over this time is the bill (now its $10 a GB over a mobile)

G

Ive had AT&T for years and they do totally suck at times, its just a pain to switch to Verizon. Anyway it is true that AT&T has the worst network ever. Every year I go to the Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival in Indio and every year AT&T puts 2 trucks out with satellite dishes and cell towers to boost signal while my friends on Verizon have full signal and can browse the web with ease. Im stuck trying to make a call and receive constant network busy messages so I dont bother anymore. How can such a large company with so much money not upgrade their network; knowing full well that its necessary but instead placing trucks out only when necessary because its cheaper? AT&T SUCKS! Im going to stop being lazy and go for Verizon.

Status
Not open for further replies.