iPhone to Finally Gain Multitasking This Summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Awesome. This will definitely make the iPad suck a lot less though I wonder why it won't be available until the fall. Still doesn't make it a buy for me but that addresses a couple of complaints I had about it. Pretty excited about iPhone OS 4.0. A lot of new features that I've been clamoring for but also some that I still don't see like a unified IM inbox. Oh well.

Now that I've seen this I'm even more curious to see the 4th generation iPhone and the new features it will bring. My one wish is a front facing camera but if even the iPad didn't get it I don't think the iPhone will. Have to wait and see.

kyeana

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
I'm no apple fan, in fact I'm die hard android, but i see this as good news. More competition yields better products, new implementations, lower prices, etc.

chise1

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2008

dan117

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
"iPhone to Finally Gain Multitasking This Summer"
It will be new and revolutionary because Apple is the first to implement it!

tecmo34

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
I guess this allows me to organize my Tom's Hardware Home Screen icons better into one folder, which makes surfing the internet easier while driving and changing the radio station ... [:mousemonkey:5]

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
iPhone to Finally Gain "Multitasking" This Summer

The title was missing some quote marks...

Multitasking is running several programs at once. They are pausing most of the program with an option to let them use a limited set of instructions when they are in the background.

If you want to know what real multitasking is check out WebOS or any desktop OS since DOS.

dannyaa

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2001
[citation][nom]Honis[/nom]If you want to know what real multitasking is check out WebOS or any desktop OS since DOS.[/citation]

Hey genius... the iPhone isn't a desktop OS and doesn't have a massive laptop battery and processor. Question: is it easier to just implement multitasking, or to spend at least over a year developing and brainstorming APIs and an effective solution that (1) eliminates performance and battery issues while (2) providing the vast majority of benefits that multitasking offers? Apple obviously went through the effort for a reason. The goal of the mobile phone is not to be a desktop replacement.

Abrahm

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2007
[citation][nom]dannyaa[/nom]Hey genius... the iPhone isn't a desktop OS and doesn't have a massive laptop battery and processor. Question: is it easier to just implement multitasking, or to spend at least over a year developing and brainstorming APIs and an effective solution that (1) eliminates performance and battery issues while (2) providing the vast majority of benefits that multitasking offers? Apple obviously went through the effort for a reason. The goal of the mobile phone is not to be a desktop replacement.[/citation]
1) You don't know how the battery will be with this multi-tasking, and seeing how the iPhone battery life sucked to begin with, it probably doesn't matter. It doesn't really look like Apple went through a whole lot of extra effort to do this. It's typical Apple to make false accusations at the competition to try and legitimize their lack of features.

"iPhone OS 4 provides multitasking to third party apps while preserving battery life and foreground app performance, which has until now proved elusive on mobile devices. "

As Jobs says, BS. My Droid has been multi-tasking and taking names with excellent battery life.

nukem950

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2009
Sounds like my ipod touch g1 is not supported. How much will apple take off the purchase of a new one so I can get current generation ipod touch?

dopey117

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2010
[citation][nom]dannyaa[/nom]Hey genius... the iPhone isn't a desktop OS and doesn't have a massive laptop battery and processor. Question: is it easier to just implement multitasking, or to spend at least over a year developing and brainstorming APIs and an effective solution that (1) eliminates performance and battery issues while (2) providing the vast majority of benefits that multitasking offers? Apple obviously went through the effort for a reason. The goal of the mobile phone is not to be a desktop replacement.[/citation]

I hardly see this as innovative. My droid runs tons of apps at the same time all day and has great battery life (better than 3GS by a long shot). Effective multitasking has been out for quite some time now (insert blackberry here) and so has copy and paste and changing wallpapers. I think its hilarious that apple tries to sell this stuff off as new tech, the sad part is the vast majority of the people out there believe them

ps12

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
I wonder if the iPad update waiting till September will have anything to do with the rumored Verizon alliance??

nekatreven

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
[citation][nom]soldier37[/nom]I think you dopey117 and the droid are sad, plus verizon is a network for chicks and homos! The Droid really? LOL. I'll put my bigger brighter screen 32Gb 3GS against your garbage droid any day. How much storage does it have again, oh nevermind. I laugh at you apple haters so much, always feeling the need to bash something you know nothing about other than what other apple haters say. So what its not true multitasking, thats why I have a self built quad core desktop that I'm sure drives circles around whatever girly computer you have at home. So take your apple bashing elsewhere and type something productive moron.[/citation]

-1 for being a trolling douche-nozzle.

1. Resorting to personal (and not even brow-raising) insults.
2. Explaining why your phone's battery blows; as if a screen that is only so big and bright because the iphone has no keyboard is a 'feature'. Also...it's called an SD slot buddy.
3. Pointing out that you use your self-built (and therefore obviously not from Apple) PC to handle the stuff your iphone can't currently handle.

awesome...but what damage have you done to Steve Jobs feelings with your comments if dopey117's computer that you're insulting is a Mac. I wouldn't worry though...he/she seems smarter than that.

dopey117

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2010
[citation][nom]nekatreven[/nom]-1 for being a trolling douche-nozzle.1. Resorting to personal (and not even brow-raising) insults.2. Explaining why your phone's battery blows; as if a screen that is only so big and bright because the iphone has no keyboard is a 'feature'. Also...it's called an SD slot buddy.3. Pointing out that you use your self-built (and therefore obviously not from Apple) PC to handle the stuff your iphone can't currently handle.awesome...but what damage have you done to Steve Jobs feelings with your comments if dopey117's computer that you're insulting is a Mac. I wouldn't worry though...he/she seems smarter than that.[/citation]

Hey no fair i wanted to shoot him down! :D Lol yeah and in case you didnt know the iphone has a 3.5 inch screen and the droid has a 3.7 inch screen so im not sure how you call that bigger and the iphone 3GS is 480 x 320 my droid is 854 x 480 resolution. You obviously dont know what your talking about. Also i have a 16gb REMOVABLE micro sd card and i could get a new 32gb for about $30 where as you had to pay like an extra $100 to get you 32gb

dopey117

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2010
^^ also forgot to mention how verizon has *reliable* 3G coverage across its entire network whereas At&t 3G is fairly small and spotty at that

G

dont worry, soldier37 hails from alabama, probably just got electricity and running water yeserday...

Status
Not open for further replies.