iPhone X vs. Galaxy Note 8: Which Big-Screen Phone Will Win?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbblock1

Prominent
Oct 30, 2017
The Note 8 is the most clever customizable intuitive well-crafted thing I have ever owned. I use it as full computer through the Dex Station. It even supports my network. The spen is not to be trivialized either, It creates a mouse like experience.

Anthony Jatero

Honorable
Aug 21, 2013
After waiting for a few years for Note replacement as an artist I have to say they are still unmatched as the S Pen is not just a stylus the levels of pressure sensitivity allow me much more than simple software added size and angle adjustment. I am also a content Junkie when I'm not using Microsoft Office Word and Excel for work (Netflix instagram)etc and absolutely love my Note8 screen and could not for the life of me get used to or force myself to try to ignore what amounts to a thumb perpetually stuck to one side of a phone which is what the iPhone x looks like to me. And if you look for more than one second at the iPhone x it definitely has Basil's all around the entire phone which makes me wonder why they didn't just have a smaller piece of glass as they're not using all of it? The notch and rounded edges eat into the true screen real estate so what is the actual screen real estate if you want to see all of your content like a movie without chopping off all the edges not 5.8 How is that measured?
I am pretty sure by now that most people that actually use phones ignore the benchmarks that come up each year showing devices 20 or 30 times faster than other phones when in reality and actual use there is no discernible difference between any of them since 2015 unless you like swiping between your notification panel icons back and forth all day games run as fast as they're going to run photos are taken look beautiful and Internet web pages load as fast as your provider will allow.
The iPhone x does look pretty and I am sure that people will love it as if you are a fan of the Apple ecosystem you don't have much choice between the X and the 8th which is essentially a seven or 6. This phone will surely be successful but I am more than happy with my Note8 on every level.

takashilater

Prominent
Nov 2, 2017

How do you find the spen compares to the Apple Pencil on an iPad Pro? Is it as good? I've found the 120hz refresh rate on the iPad Pro to be the major game changer for any decent art. Is the SPen just good in a pinch or have you compared to use on a tablet?

I ask because I've always found even the large phones to be annoying to do anything but the most trivial of work.

takiB

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2015
Obvious - Note 8 is superior productive device.
- Performance on everyday tasks is not measured by processor speed -now many edit videos on a mobile that has < 4K resolution? A youtube test showed Note 8 is smoother.
Note 8 is still 7.1, wait for Android 8 & further optimisation. Exynos is faster, why didn't you use that? Tests where 6GB ram makes difference? (Python code, VR...)
-Price & availability, draw - Really? Note cheaper, extra SD up to 400GB (replaceable) at fraction $, IphoneX waiting increasing to months...

Note 8 is in a different category. iphone X ~ Galaxy S8

brucewayneyip

Prominent
Nov 4, 2017
I have been a Note 1 to 7 owner since coming from the iPhone 4S. I second the above comments from other Note users and I'm perplexed how no reviewer ever mentions Android Home Screen widgets. With 6 gb my Note 8 hoome screens are incredible dynamic screens for all my trading apps, news, Twitter, coursera, gtasks, email, sms, floating books from Google play books And floating post it notes per category from Lecture Notes app etc. I seldom have to select an app over and over again as all my dynamic data is visible on 7 customized home screens.

taurus5569

Prominent
Nov 4, 2017
So after going into the Apple store to check out the new Emoji $2000 iPhone I realised when I got my Samsung Galaxy Note 8 was definitely the right choice whilst saving $400 in the process. This is coming from an iPhone user

mdr21797

Prominent
Nov 5, 2017
The display on the iPhone x is better? Are you serious? How can an OLED be better than a Super AMOLED screen? How naive can iPhone users be? I went to an apple store and placed my note 8 side by side with an iPhone X. There was no comparison. The note 8 display is by far the most beautiful display on a smartphone. Period.

monchwow

Prominent
Nov 5, 2017
Only Samsung users need to justify why their device is better. Most iphone users just seem unbothered.

For Android, I prefer the Pixel line. All these features Samsung crams into their device doesn’t change the fact that after a year, Galaxy devices run all slow and laggy etc. Never again.

ifIwasarichman

Estimable
Jun 18, 2014
Quote - "The Note 8 is the less expensive option, though "less expensive" is relative when you're talking about a $950 phone."

( Please Note - $950 is US dollars and I am quoting Australian below and US$950 = A$1250 and the prices are quoted to buy the phones outright and unlocked from a shop, not as part of a plan)

The Note 8 is significantly cheaper now in Australia, especially when compared to the iphone X.
As always, Apple has decided to place a huge premium on the price of the phone here and this has a huge impact on the final verdict.

OVERALL WINNER -- Samsung Note 8

With the iphone X costing A$1829 (US$1390) for the 128GB or A$1579 (US$1207) for the 64GB.
Whereas the Note 8 can be bought for as chea64GB p as A$993 (US$759).

That is over 50% more for the new iphone 64GB.
And getting close to double the price for the 128GB iphone

I definitely know which one I prefer,
Plus I just happen to have a spare 256GB micro SD card lying around, pity one will not accept a micro SD.

zhiyarzhika

Prominent
Nov 11, 2017
That's what Apple does, it's just business, nothing else. they fool everyone by their "features" and they force you to always buy things that are supposed to be in the phone default. which you never see happens.
@MONCHWOW
slow and laggy? I'm still using Note 5 since it was released, I haven't experienced a small bug yet.

ifIwasarichman

Estimable
Jun 18, 2014

I had the first iphone and hated it.
And I understand apple's business model after I saw the first ipad without a camera, but it had the internals set up to take a camera. So they superseded it with the second ipad having a camera to encourage new sales. Car makers do exactly the same thing.

Ever since I got rid of the iphone, I have had Samsung phones which have worked exactly as they were supposed to.
Now I also have a Note 5 and the only complaint/problem I can find is that it does not have a micro SD slot. I recently changed the battery which was not as hard as I thought it would be - a bit of time with a heat gun and the right tools and voila. The battery and adhesive sheet were easy to get and not that expensive - cost about $10 all up.
The best thing for me is the stylus, as I have big hands and fingers, so typing is a lot easier, and I can jot down notes so easy.
And then you find out that Samsung is supplying parts and screens for the iphones. :)

But as I like to say, to each his own - although we are all the same, we are also different. If not for companies like Apple pushing along the competition, we would not have phones like the Note 8 now.

dileeps

Prominent
Nov 22, 2017
It is funny that you said Iphone X display is better than Note 8. Not only in technical specs, even in side to side real view, it is crystal clear that Note 8 is the best display ever. I think you want to find some scores for IPhone to make it equalize with Note 8 to save your face. I strongly believe performance is also equally good for Note 8 and I phone X and Camera might have same scores as both phones are equally good in most shooting conditions.
So based on the corrected score board the new score would be Note 8 with 5 scores vs Iphone X with 3 and obviously Note 8 is the WINNER

ifIwasarichman

Estimable
Jun 18, 2014
MONCHWOW 16 days ago said -

Only Samsung users need to justify why their device is better. Most iphone users just seem unbothered.

For Android, I prefer the Pixel line. All these features Samsung crams into their device doesn’t change the fact that after a year, Galaxy devices run all slow and laggy etc. Never again.

As for your first sentence, my sister is the worst. She has an apple and as far as she is concerned, it is by far the best phone. It is so bad that no one talks about phones around her.
I also have some friends with apples and they say bad things about my phone every time I pull it out (eg - oh you still have that phone, when are you going to upgrade to a better phone like ours).

As for the second sentence, My old S3 is still going strong and still seems about as fast as when I got it. I removed all superfluous apps and only added about 6 that I use (eg - navigator). I turned off auto update and only allow the navigator to update occasionally (about twice a year). My new note 5 has been set up the same and does everything about as fast as when I got it.
There is an excellent article explaining why all smartphones slow down over time. This can be alleviated by following certain procedures and fixed by a factory reset. But even the OS proprietary phones like pixel and iphones will suffer the same fate, even faster than a galaxy if you have lots of extra apps. that update all the time.
See - https://www.idropnews.com/news/bit-rot-explains-why-your-iphone-gets-slower-over-time/55988/?utm_source=Newsletter&utm_medium=Newsletter&utm_campaign=11202017&utm_term=Newsletter

bartbuzz

Prominent
Nov 22, 2017
I'm curious how the Note 8 beats the iPhone X in design? The Note 8 finger sensor is on the back and it loses on display, camera, and performance.

phanendar

Prominent
Nov 27, 2017
Do you know the meaning of the word 'Unbiased'??? Look it up in the dictionary it will be an eye opener for you Mr. Philip Michaels
I particularly paid attention to your choice of words, ideas and sentences where Note 8 is leading and even in those you end up praising iphone X as articulately as you can. Good example is the pricing… When you found that Note 8 is $50 less you cleverly broke it down into per month cost (over 24 months) and then tried to paint the picture as if there is no difference – DING DING DING – biased towards iphone. Also, did you for a second consider the fact that Samsung has been offering DeX or Gear 360 FREE along with a Note 8 almost from the day of its release??? Where did that factor into your cost considerations???
Even now the price equation is vastly different. Note 8 is available at major carriers for $820 where as IphoneX is still $999. Where does the price advantage exist now Mr UNBIASED???
What value are you giving to the following aspects of Note 8 which Iphone X lacks?
1. Dual SIM capability
2. Expandable Memory thru Micro SD Card slot
3. IP67 vs IP68
4. Apple Pay – NFC only Vs Samsung Pay – NFC & MST
5. 5.8 inches screen vs 6.3 inches screen
6. 458 ppi vs 521 ppi screen – Better VR experience with lesser screen-door effect
7. 1200 nits brightness in the screen
8. So on… and on…
What value will you penalize Note 8 for these draw backs?
1. Dolby Vision and HDR10 capability while Note 8 has only HDR 10
2. Better processor compared to Note 8
3. More streamlined hardware and software integration than Note 8
4. So on… and on…
I didn’t expect such a half baked, birdbrained, short-sighted article from a senior editor in Tom’s Guide (Which I have always valued a lot (not soo much anymore)).

carlosanquinter0

Prominent
Dec 1, 2017
@PHANENDAR, we are not even taking on consideration all the problems the older Iphone versions get everytime a new phone and software upgrade gets release, it is not a secret tbh i owed Iphones and always have to upgrade to a new one, there are a lot of reports about this all over the net, even a Harvard study. It is just funny how defensive people get with their Iphones when they do not even have all the facts straight, not even know what the real capabilities are on a Samsung, ohh wait I bet they dont even know who the top Iphone supplier was and on top components, oh yes Samsung, and not until the last Iphone 8 release the camaras on the Iphones were a joke compare to Samsung.

fcardoza825

Prominent
Dec 22, 2017
Wow I keep reading about delusional Apple fanboys and can't help but laugh at the most fanboyish comments from Android users. I have a Samsung Galaxy phone but use an Apple tablet, the best of both worlds.

Status
Not open for further replies.