iPhone X vs. Pixel 2 XL Camera Face-Off: It's This Close

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry_111

Prominent
Jun 26, 2017
And when the Pixel Visual Core chip is enabled on the Pixel 2 with the next 8.1 release it's going to obliterate the igarbage X for good. And the Pixel 2 does it all with only one but a much better camera in the back. And it's probably why the best DSLRs still have one camera.

Phoenix-61

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2010
Do you know what, iphone in the last picture of Caitlin, Sherri and Kenneth
The red you can actually see the shapes are smoothed out with the iphone whereas sharpness comes from xl2 but it doesn't always know how to hand it -
Sherri's cap on the left [our left] of the picture ALSO HAS MORE DETAILS IN THE RED - instead of a bright red blob - thanks Google. The only thing their phone is good for is architectural shots.
Iphone wins, and I want to know your knowledge of an iphone, as to how to you adjusted or zoomed, or focuses on your subject matters. Because the colours differences may be there, but you are ALWAYS so much closer when taking photos with the iphone than you were with google's second-rate camera.

Larry_111

Prominent
Jun 26, 2017
BTW, that black notch on the X is absolutely atrocious. And not only that but the Note 8 screen display covers a bigger percentage of the front than the inotch X. So the Note 8 is more ALL SCREEN than the inotch X and does it WITHOUT that hideous notch. "The percentage of surface area occupied by the screen is LESS than that of the Galaxy Note 8, and the screen’s brightness is lower than that of Samsung’s competing handset."

Apple created a problem where none existed. "Apps that have been updated for the iPhone X all have different ways of dealing with the notch that sometimes lead to strange results, especially in apps that play video. Instagram Stories don’t fill the screen; they have large gray borders on the top and bottom. YouTube only has two fullscreen zoom options, so playing the Last Jedi trailer resulted in either a small video window surrounded by letter- and pillar-boxing or a fullscreen view with the notch obscuring the left side of the video. Netflix is slightly better but you’re still stuck choosing between giant black borders around your video or the notch."

Opus Krokus

Estimable
Jan 31, 2016
With some of these, the angle difference between the two photos are different enough to be noticeable and possibly cause the difference mentioned. Using a tripod and switching them out so that they always have the same angle would make those comparisons appear more valid.

citykangaroo

Prominent
Oct 25, 2017
Pixel 2 XL has Dual Pixel Autofocus, so it focuses quicker and more accurately. Unlike iPhone X, Pixel 2 XL allows you to connect external lenses, such as Moment Lenses, and still have portrait mode work with those lenses. And one more thing... Pixel Visual Core will soon be added via a software update, that will allow photography apps to output High Dynamic Range (HDR) images.

jaysh38

Prominent
Nov 1, 2017
I agree on the different angles causing slight differences in the outcome. It's also tough to determine accuracy without viewing the original subjects. However, it's clear that in most photos, the details were more...well, detailed with the pixel 2 xl.

One thing I'd like to see a comparison of is night selfie shots. The Google Pixel 2 xl's screen turns bright white in low light to act as a flash of sorts, and it does a pretty good job. Not sure if the Current has a front flash or similar feature and would be curious to see how each fared.

jzanick

Prominent
Nov 1, 2017
So according to them iPhone 8 beats Pixel 2. So this means iPhone 8 camera is better than Pixel 2????

hoochiemamma

Prominent
Nov 1, 2017
How the hell does the iphone win at the pumkin? The pixel is a clearer/sharper shot with better/truer colour and more lit up as well

Same as the outdoor portrait. You can see more detail in the face from the Pixel shot.

Talk about rigged to show the X being better than what it really is.

mprospero

Senior Editor
Oct 4, 2013
When taking the photos, we used both cameras in the same location, and distance, to the subjects. With the exception of the 2X zoom photos, we did not use zoom on either camera.

pj_boy_89

Prominent
Nov 2, 2017
I agree with the most part of the article. I don't have an iPhone X but I have an iPhone 6S and the Pixel 2. The photos from pixel are more sharp and bright than the photos from the iPhone. But the colours in the pixel are way too much washed out. I don't know if is missing Red!
When I take selfies for example, my skin looks so white in the pixel. Believe me, the colours are far from natural. I also notice this when I make video calls in WhatsApp. Pixel camera is able to show so much detail from my skin, but I look way too white! Anyone has the same opinion as me?

allanwake90

Prominent
Dec 12, 2017
It's not a tie! Pixel wins hands down if you take into account how inconstant iPhone camera is. Pixel was also better at outdoor portraits. It was sharper and exposed properly, unlike iPhone's pic with it's yellow tint.

pistaciyo

Prominent
Dec 13, 2017
agreed, with ALLANWAKE90, Pixel 2 definitely has the better camera than iPhone x, I have seen tons of pictures taken with iPhone x and none of them impress me unlike the Pixel 2. Pixel 2 is simply sharper and crispier. The inconsistent exposure on iPhone is a total joke, I've seen many samples where iPhone x tends to blow out highlights on different occasions.

Status
Not open for further replies.