iPod Touch Bluetooth Unlocked by OS 3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

icepick314

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2002
paying for something that was already included in the device is shady...even for Apple...

what was the reason behind holding back full bluetooth support?

G

Hehe suckas... now there is no reason to ever buy an iPhone. Get a bluetooth headset and some voip software on your iPod Touch and you are good to go. (for much cheaper too)

The Schnoz

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2008
So let me get this straight. For only $10 I can use a feature in my iPod Touch that I should have been able to use from the beginning? Considering this is Apple thats a deal. I would have expected to pay much more!!!
Maybe Apple was just following a page from Sony's playbook. They're not ripping their loyal customers off, they're simply extending the longevity of their system. One purposely makes a system thats difficult to program for and the other disables a useful feature that everyone would like to use, denies its existence, and then charges $10 a pop to turn the feature on through a software download whle the hardware was sitting dormant the whole time.
Yep, they're both going to hell.

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
hmm... how about 1st generation itouch? out of luck?

by the way " Additionally, it had Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR support and an advanced FM receiver. " FM receiver?!....o_O; .... ugh... iFM @ OS 4.0?...;)

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]Imagine FM in an iPod.Now die. Because it isn't going to happen.[/citation]
I wonder if this was some deal with the RIAA, disabling FM functionality. Imagine listening to FREE music on your iPod, highly unlikely. Forgetting the fact that the record companies get licensing fees from radio stations, the RIAA isn't going to let you listen to that music when you can buy it at 99 cents a song. That said, you can get FM radios at the dollar store, so hopefully no one thinks they're really missing out on a whole lot here.

My old Nokia Music XPress x5300 had an FM receiver, but it used the headphones for the antenna. I never found a whole lotta use for it.

Now, I thought the old iPods had BlueTooth functionality in them, is that not the case, is this the first iPod with BlueTooth?

G

I dont understand the writers attitude towards this kind of treatment towards its customers. This is a bad trend. First Tivo charges people for no service. Already when you purchase the box, it is capable of recording and being used as a media center, but they lock that function. Now Apple starts charging for things that already is expected to be FREE in ALL electric devices. Next, you will be charged a monthly fee for using your purchased steering wheel or the brakes of your new car. This kind of tolerance for consumers must stop. They must exercise their frustration by boycotting these companies.

"However, for a one-time fee of $10, the 3.0 OS upgrade for Apple's iPod Touch seems to be worth every penny"

G

Does anyone know if we will be able to use the IPOD bluetooth to link to the internet via a mobile phone?

For those people that don't want the IPhone, but like using their IPOD for email when they are traveling, this would mean they can still get their email on the move!

G

You can download the OS upgrade for free. Do a google search. Trust me, the update is not worth any penny. Especially considering the touch has less features than the iPhone, it isn't really worth it at all.

G

Anonymous,
No, you can't use the new bluetooth upgrade to link your Touch to the internet. Makes me REALLY peeved. Fortunately, I figured this out before I purchased anything, so Apple is NOT getting any money out of ME for a firmware upgrade for bluetooth HEADPHONES. Geesh. At least my new SiriusXM app works GREAT!

G

ok, so sadly the FM receiver is ~still not functional with the 3.0 upgrade :( I wonder if it even exists... and there are no third party receivers that work (that I've found searching)

G

I've installed the 3.0 upgrade and, in my opinion, the $9.95 upgrade is not "worth every penny." Actually, it's practically worthless, unless you really wanted a landscape keyboard. The Bluetooth support ONLY works with speakers. I've tried pairing it with two different Bluetooth hands-free headsets, a hands-free speakerphone, and keyboards. None of them work. The iPod Touch bound with the Samsung hands-free speakerphone, but only works with the speaker, not the mic. No dice for Skype or other VOIP, which is the only reason I could think of to splurge for the upgrade. Ugh. Huge disappointment, Apple. Waste of money.

G

I've tried to pair 3 different devices to my recently upgraded OS3 Ipod Touch. My PHS-3 headset, my 2005 Toyota Prius, and my Targus USB Bluetooth adapter. Nothing. I've never had good luck with Bluetooth. It's always such a pain.

What I'm looking for is a Bluetooth headset or headphones that will work with the Skype App on the Ipod Touch. I guess I'll have to buy an A2DP Bluetooth device now?? Bluetooth has always been such a sham.

luc

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
On Sat 6-20-09 I went to two Apple stores Palo Alto and Los Gatos, to find out if the Bluetooth enabled ipod touch would work with a mono Bluetooth head set. 7 out of 7 Palo Alto Apple employees didn't know that Ipod touch had Bluetooh, and had no idea if it would work with a mono headset. Went to the Los Gatos Apple store, 5 out of 5 didn't know that Ipod touch had Bluetooh but were able to figure out that it will only support stereo headsets.

Has anyone tried a stereo bluetooth headset that worked with the ipod touch?

Want to use Skype on my 2nd gen Ipod touch without having to be wired to it.

Weirdo0815

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2006
I have a Plantronics Voyager 855 that works with my 2nd gen Ipod Touch. It at least works with listening to music and the mic works too. However, I can't get the headset to control the music playback. It doesn't Pause/Play, move Back or Forward in tracks. I know the headset has the function since it works on my Blackberry Curve 8330 and my wife's LG Voyager. The audio quality from the Ipod Touch actually is much better than my Blackberry.

I am having an issue with this pairing though. Every time I turn off the headset and back on, the iPod can't re-connect without forgetting the device and re-adding it. Its very frustrating.

My conclusion with the Plantronics Voyager 855 + iPod Touch 2nd Gen is its wonderful when it works but once the headset gets turned off, its back to square one each time.

Weirdo0815

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2006
Let me correct something on my earlier post. The Voyager 855's mic does NOT work... it claimed it did but I hadn't actually tested it. I am sorry for the confusion. So the headset is only good for listening to music/audio and nothing else.

I would assume this is because Apple didn't put in the Bluetooth Profiles right on the iPod Touch version of the 3.0 O/S. I would expect an update to be released to fix this... or at least I would hope so. I too would love to use my headset with Skype via my iPod Touch.

G

I installed the 3.0 update. The search feature looks alright. Bluetooth is useless as I was not able to transfer files or anything. I didn't pay for The update so I can't complain. But shame on apple for charging it's loyal customers for software updates.

Status
Not open for further replies.