is 86c dangerous for overheating?

kawaii_sky

Estimable
Jan 19, 2015
I have an asus laptop. I74710hq 8gb ram and gtx 850m 4gb.
I played Civ V, on max (not most demanding game out there) and according to Core Temp my cpu's highest temperature was 86c. is it dangerous or something? this laptop is 3 weeks old I don't want to destroy it just now :c

Solution
no this is a laptop CPU even Intel themselves list the tCASE for the CPU as 100C MAX and the Cores can go even higher before damage is done LOL

Laptop CPUs are different than Desktop CPUs they are designed for extreme Heat

in a nutshell:keep bellow 100C for Daily Usage / avoid degrading the CPU LIFE

holyrage

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2011
no this is a laptop CPU even Intel themselves list the tCASE for the CPU as 100C MAX and the Cores can go even higher before damage is done LOL

Laptop CPUs are different than Desktop CPUs they are designed for extreme Heat

in a nutshell:keep bellow 100C for Daily Usage / avoid degrading the CPU LIFE

Solution

Aidan Rooney

Honorable
Mar 25, 2013
My laptop has been at about 120c and my friend's apparently went to about 200c and they're both fine :p Definitely not recommended, try and put it on a desk or even elevate the 4 corners so air can get below. But it should be ok

holyrage

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2011

there is no way a laptop CPU would take 200C i bet your friend was measuring with Fahrenheit or lying

at that temp the Materials for the CPU would become conductive and the chip would die but before that even happens the CPU would Shutoff/start thermal throttling

also 120C for your CPU u should try reapplying thermal paste / re seating your heatsink Temps Should never go above 100C

i bet your CPU is Throttling at that temp

Aidan Rooney

Honorable
Mar 25, 2013

Haha yea that's why i said apparently, i trust them but that does seem a little extreme xD But mine was actually 120, it was scary and i turned it off :c

And it was my laptop that got to 120 so i can't take it apart and do that, i'll probably break it

Take it to a local repair shop if you are unwilling to get into it. They usually have a nominal fee for service/cleaning. Opening and working in a laptop can be intimidating but, it really isn't that hard in most instances (the people that design laptops really are ingenious at times and serviceability is often a design criteria).
I'll recommend looking up "Disassembly Cleaning for (your model laptop)" on YouTube, if for no other reason, you'll be aware of what is involved

holyrage

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2011
[/quotemsg]

Haha yea that's why i said apparently, i trust them but that does seem a little extreme xD But mine was actually 120, it was scary and i turned it off :c

And it was my laptop that got to 120 so i can't take it apart and do that, i'll probably break it
[/quotemsg]

will it isnt that hard hardest part is to NOT BEND the heat sink u have to be very careful with it other than that it is all easy stuff

TRENDING THREADS