Is a gaming laptop worth it???

Red8

Honorable
Jul 21, 2013
Hello all! So I'm currently stuck in North Carolina for abit (4-9 months) and I have decided to invest in a gaming laptop. I've had my eyes on the msi gt72s dominator pro g-219 with an 8gb 980m and i7 6820hk cpu for 2134$ on new egg. Is that way too much to spend on a laptop for heavy gaming? I come from a pretty powerful rig I had to leave behind so I was looking for a powerful laptop to help diminish the fact that I'll be taking a big performance hit from changing over. I'm having really bad buyers remorse on this purchase and it's not too late to cancel or choose a cheaper laptop that has the same horsepower this one does that anyone could possibly suggest. Would you guys buy this if you were in my shoes?

Ps I'm in barracks awaiting training so a tower is not possible

Solution
That is actually the laptop I recommend the most for heavy gamers. It is one of the best on the market. definitely buy it.

In laptop world, paying $2100 is actually 100% normal. Typically if you want the best of the best, you'd have to pay $3500.
That is actually the laptop I recommend the most for heavy gamers. It is one of the best on the market. definitely buy it.

In laptop world, paying $2100 is actually 100% normal. Typically if you want the best of the best, you'd have to pay $3500.

Solution

Red8

Honorable
Jul 21, 2013
Oh wow okay thanks very much I've done alot of research and comparing and it fit my needs best and a couple others here had good views on it aswell. I just feel so bad spending all that knowing that if I wait 1-2 years I could build another monster tower but I don't wanna sit around for long with nothing but my phone. How long do you think it will last for 50+fps in gaming before it gets obsolete or just older do you think?

Olsnivy100

Estimable
Nov 15, 2014
Personally I don't like "Gaming" Laptops, they usually don't have there laptop use as they always have to be plugged into a wall
They also use the term "gaming" as a money grab as well
I personally recommend doing something like building a small ITX pc and then buying a cheap laptop to do things like word processing or internet searching on the fly (Thats if you have PC building knowledge)
overall it would probably be cheaper

Geekwad

Estimable
Sep 25, 2015
Obviously going into the military a laptop makes the most sense. This is a great one, though is bulky and heavy. It won't last long on battery power when gaming.....but it's performance for 1080p gaming should last several several years.

Good luck!

Red8

Honorable
Jul 21, 2013
Yeah I know it's alot of money but I'll be doing too much moving to carry all that pc goodness around or else I'd just build a small itx rig. Well thankyou all for all the help I feel better knowing you all agree that it's the best decision of them all! I look forward to exploring this side of pc's!

50fps+ gaming should last well technically forever LOL. But if you mean the latest games at high settings, then probably 2 years, maybe 3.

But he doesn't have room for a mini itx rig!!

Plus, gaming laptops are getting pretty close to desktop standards, so it's not like he's going to have to deal with slow speeds.