Question Is AC adapter really an issue? Dell Precision M6400

Status
Not open for further replies.

xfisthebest

Estimable
Dec 27, 2018
Hi there, my cpu is not giving it's best, i only get 1.20 ghz on a 2.26ghz core 2 duo p8400 processor. What i think is that this issue is because of less power provided to my Dell Precision M6400, which i am using without battery (just like an desktop), my current charger is of Brand: LG Volt: 19.5 Ampere: 5.62 . Which means 110Watt but amazon and other e-commerce websites are selling a 210W AC adapter for my laptop. But that much watt are for charging + using laptop, while i only use i don't have battery installed, i tried disabling speed step but it give 1.70Ghz sometimes. Is there any issue if i provided 210watt? will it damage? or will it give best performance as it should give according to (users reviews).

xfisthebest

Estimable
Dec 27, 2018
check the temperature of your CPU as well
check if the power management driver(ACPI) is installed and for testing set the power management of windows to high performance

run prime or similar to check the frequency under load
First of all, temperature is normal according to softwares i've checked. Secondly, there is no power management driver (ACPI) option in my bios or provided by dell for my model, and last thing i've tried cpu-z it shows 1.2 or 1.3 Ghz

xfisthebest

Estimable
Dec 27, 2018
which app did you run while CPU-Z showed a max. frequency of only the lowest possible 1.3GHz?

Which operating system are you using?
OS: Windows 7 home premimum x64 (as support by dell for my laptop ) i mean drivers are available.
i tried windows 10 and 8.1 too both showed 1.20 or rarely 1.22 ghz in the cpu speed (task manager)
the load i put is by using bluestacks mostly,
also cpu-z test can itself take laptop on it's limits without opening any thing. (Tested on other laptop)

xfisthebest

Estimable
Dec 27, 2018
in hwinfo you can have a look at the max. frequency the CPU reached at any time. Try this tool running while userbenchmark tests your system

uninstall all processors in device manager, restart and try again
i tried hwinfo with benchmark, it goes 1.27 maximum not more than that, i am scared to uninstall processor driver, can't find on internet to install them again if i messed up, processor: P8400

Status
Not open for further replies.