Is an i3 cpu good for a personal laptop?

grimlockPH

Estimable
May 20, 2014
Will the i3 (1.8 GHz, dual-core w/HT, im not sure which specific model, but maybe 3rd gen) be okay for daily web browsing, office documents and presentations, and 2d autocad? I should be doing some multitasking, like web browsing while drawing 2D plans in autocad or office work while web browsing. It has 4GB RAM. 500 GB HDD SATA. definitely Intel HD 4000. It's an Acer E series laptop. thanks in advance.

HEXiT

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011
my sis has an i3 dual with ht and to be honest its pretty decent for what it is. video playback is smooth, windows itself is responsive so yeah an i3 on a lappy is decent. the onboard gpu isnt great but should allow some games to play, just dont expect miracles as you still have to meet minimum requirements to play aaa titles.

maddogfargo

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
Yup, an i3 would be great for that. It's a little better for AutoCad than an AMD CPU and if you are not gaming you won't miss the extra cores of an i5 or a discrete GPU. Should work out nicely.

grimlockPH

Estimable
May 20, 2014

Nice to hear that. but its only 1.8 GHz?

grimlockPH

Estimable
May 20, 2014
but it's only 1.8 GHz, and a lot of people are hateful towards intel hd 4000. I should be buying a Lenovo G410 with i5-4200M with its IGPU, but stock went out.

HEXiT

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011
if the levono is an option its a better 1 if your thinking gaming. the other 1 is really for media but will play some games like i said.(sims/sim city basically games that dont need a fast cpu).
so if you have the option of the levono you may be better off ordering it and have it delivered when they get new stock in. most shops will order something thats currently out of stock if a customer places an order for it. so dont be to quick to jump to the lesser cpu equipped system. see if they will take your order and have it delivered within a reasonable time frame first (email them and ask they should get back to you within 48 hours if there a reputable stockist).

grimlockPH

Estimable
May 20, 2014

They said I should wait till july for new stocks,okay, but they've already got new stock of Godforsaken performing machines with high prices just yesterday. By the way, I've found a Lenovo G510, with i5-4200m, 6GB of RAM, 1TB, for 2740 SR or php32,000. I dont know if it has a dedicated GPU. but it should be better for that low price.. It's from Silicon Valley cs at Saudi. I have a relative working at Qatar so it should be fine to deliver it there. i3 really is enough for basic users with some multitasking but i think i5 will do it better. tnx 4 d response.

TRENDING THREADS