Is Asus gl502vm worth buying???

Samazing

Commendable
Feb 25, 2016
Hello everyone,
I am currently in college and I want a laptop that can handle day to day work as well as gaming without breaking a sweat. I am considering Asus gl602vm since it has gtx 1060. It dosent have much reviews and I am more worried about its plastic build, it's thermals and it's speaker sound. Is the unit good??? Should I buy it???

Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated. I live in India and will ship the laptop from USA (It will still be cheaper compared to laptop bought from here).

Help appreciated. :)

Samazing

Commendable
Feb 25, 2016
I was considering a Sager but they don't provide any warranty in India. I read some people receiving some faulty units.
Should I still go for sager???

master lame

Commendable
Dec 2, 2016

Which one have you bought?
I am also from India trying to find a good laptop under $1500 and warranty applicable in india

Samazing

Commendable
Feb 25, 2016

I have Asus gl502VM... And I am pretty impressed. Thermal management is good... It never gets above 75 degree Celsius (GPU temp)... Fan is a bit loud but quieter than the other, similar kind of laptops. A teeny bit of flex but at this price, no complains.
Over and all I am pretty happy with this unit.

Buy the plain stock laptop. GL502VM-RB71 and add SSD of your own if you want. It will be cheaper that way

master lame

Commendable
Dec 2, 2016

Thanks and I was planning for the same. Also is it equipped with thunderbolt 3?
Also have you enquired about warranty in India from any officials and will you be buying the extended warranty?

Samazing

Commendable
Feb 25, 2016
I am confused about thunderbolt 3. At Asus website, it is displayed that the external dock will be supported by GL502VM and that isn't possible until it has thunderbolt 3 though at the GL502VM official product page, there is nowhere mention of thunderbolt 3. I haven't tested it out yet.

It has a global warranty of 1 year and yes I will most probably extend it down the line.

master lame

Commendable
Dec 2, 2016

Thanks man you were very helpful

pondweed

Estimable
Apr 18, 2014
I have heard rumours of the GL models thermal throttling. Especially with a high end GPU like the 1060.
I don't have first hand experience with it though, so I'd suggest looking online for some reviews that included a 100% GPU + CPU stress test for +15mins, to check temperatures/thermal throttling.
I stumbled across this website which seems to included comprehensive temperature/cooling tests in its reviews:
http://www.anandtech.com

Good luck, what ever you get I hope you enjoy it

ashleysuja

Honorable
Dec 13, 2013

Dude can you tell me where you bought your laptop from. i cant find it in any online stores in india.

master lame

Commendable
Dec 2, 2016
It isn't available online in India but you can buy from any other country and import it if you can

master lame

Commendable
Dec 2, 2016

Hey have you extended the warranty? If yes how and what was the cost. Mine will be coming in mid february and have you faced any issues yet? Also how is it's service in India?

prateekarora1998

Estimable
Mar 15, 2014

How much did it cost you for shipping, customs, and from where did you got and shipped all your experience of importing plz share thanx

master lame

Commendable
Dec 2, 2016
Total cost of laptop in INR was Rs 85345 but no idea about customs

r0rschach

Prominent
Jun 4, 2017

Where did you import it from...the total cost after customs from USA crosses 1 lakh mark