Is Asus Vivobook 6GB ram and i5 processor sufficient for video editing / photoshop?

Sergeant Bertie

Honorable
May 22, 2013
I have purchased this Acer laptop and am awaiting delivery. I done so on the basis of it being 8gb ram, but am anticipating I might not like certain things about the laptop such as the plastic feel of it and the screen.

I much preferred the Asus vivobook when I was trying laptops out in stores. However, at the time I didn't know if 6gb ram was sufficient so that was the main reason I went with the Acer. Anyway, I looked at some speed tests in reviews of the Asus Vivobook and in many cases it performed faster than the equivalent Acer nd booted Windows 8 faster as well.

So my question is whether 6gb ram is sufficient in itself to run things like Photoshop or Adobe Premiere while also having other applications open like a web browser or Microsoft Word?

Inidentally if you are a Vivobook owner do you find that the keyboard is problematic. I have seen a few negative reviews about typing and problems with having to press the keys hard to get it to register on the monitor??

Solution
I only really hear positive things about Asus screens. I don't think their panels or calibration is absolutely the best, but they certainly look nice.

My experience with Acer laptops has been similar to rajaawad23's as well, although I can't comment on image quality comparison without actually being able to compare the two. :)

Oh, and regards to the system memory: Sometimes the manufacturer will advertise the max memory limit, when the system is perfectly capable of addressing more. The retailer may tell you it cannot be upgraded because they - and Asus, for that matter - don't want you to attempt to upgrade. It's more difficult to access the memory banks on these ultrabooks, and doing so almost certainly voids your...

rajaawad23

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
a celeron cpu is sufficient to run photoshop and a web browser. you have to look at which will render faster. I think you may benefit more from the 8gb ram plus the acer cpu is clocked higher than the asus, this will also benefit. I would take the acer.

Sergeant Bertie

Honorable
May 22, 2013

So you are saying it is a case of how long the laptop takes to edit images in the video / photo software, rather than the idea that the browser would not be able to run while the video software application is rendering changes to images / video??

Hey, as long as Google Chrome and Photoshop would run at the same time I would not be too fussy about waiting times. I will be working with some RAW image files fro my camera, so that might take up quite a bit of memory.

I have just realised those two laptops are the same weight, but I am torn between the two. I much prefer the Asus body. It says in the ad above that you cannot upgrade above 6gb ram, but I don't see why?? Surely if you removed the ram that is currently in there you could put more in???

Sergeant Bertie

Honorable
May 22, 2013
Partly the touch screen. I was also originally attracted to the Asus because it is thin and fairly light for a 15 inch screen, that is the less expensive model which is 2.1kg. I plan to take the laptop to library and elsewhere.

Of course I could go with a dedicated graqphics card but the guy in the shop said 8gb would be find without dedicated graphics. I didn't get to ask him about the 6gb ram one as I didn't know about it at the time. I have never used a laptop apart from my sisters so I am not sure touch screen will be a major feature for me but I do like the idea of it as an extra option.

Again, if any Vivobook owner's have feedback on the keyboard please let me know?

rajaawad23

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
http://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Adobe-Photoshop-CS6-GPU-Acceleration-161/
check this out, this is a benchmark on gpus for photoshop. apparently the hd 4000 (which comes with both laptops) are pretty good for photoshop.

from what I have read, ram does matter, 8gb will be faster than 6gb. but it will definitely work. so if you don't mind a few seconds wait you can get the asus.

System memory will matter less in performance as far as rendering time goes. I think 6 GB would be sufficient for you, but you know your needs better than I do. The CPU will matter more in the performance of Photoshop.

Also, the memory on the Vivobook (at least on the units we sell) can be upgraded from 6 GB. I'm not sure which model exactly you were interested in, but the S550CA-DS51T, for example, can be outfitted with as much as 16 GB. Other models may accept up to 12 GB.

Sergeant Bertie

Honorable
May 22, 2013
Hi guys, thanks for the knowledgeable replies. Perhaps the British retailer is stating that they already have used the sockets for expansion for an extra 2gb (one example I seen on the internet had a 4gb and an extra 2gb in the socket when the reviewers opened it up) but it would still be strange for the retailer to say it cannot be upgraded above 6gb.

Raja, as far as overheating goes I seen two reviews of Asus Vivobooks. They both came in at an acceptable level. If I remember rightly one was cooler than the Acer and the other was hotter, but the reviewers thought they were both acceptable.

At least brushed Aluminium feels cool to the touch, plastic doesn't feels so nice.

Prostar, do you think there is much difference in the display quality of the monitor between the Acer and Asus. I was looking at Youtube videos and the Asus looked brighter or something, but I'm not sure?

I feel bad for not being excited about my new laptop. It hasn't arrived yet and I am more concerned than anything. :??:

I only really hear positive things about Asus screens. I don't think their panels or calibration is absolutely the best, but they certainly look nice.

My experience with Acer laptops has been similar to rajaawad23's as well, although I can't comment on image quality comparison without actually being able to compare the two. :)

Oh, and regards to the system memory: Sometimes the manufacturer will advertise the max memory limit, when the system is perfectly capable of addressing more. The retailer may tell you it cannot be upgraded because they - and Asus, for that matter - don't want you to attempt to upgrade. It's more difficult to access the memory banks on these ultrabooks, and doing so almost certainly voids your warranty with the OEM.

Solution