Is Directv really that pitiful compared to Comcast??

Sean

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
503
0
18,930
0
Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

I had no idea DTV was so lame as far as HD goes. Is it really true
that they only offer a few HD channels?

That's pathetic.

From Comcast I get:

PBS
ABC
NBC
CBS
FOX
Discovery HD
UPN
WB
ESPNHD
HBO
Showtime
Stars
Cinemax
INHD1 - (Special free HD channel)
INHD2 - (Special free HD channel)

I think that's all of them. I might have missed a couple.

Can one of you DTV rumpswabs list the HD channels you get?
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

Sean wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 18:45:26 -0000, Mike Hunt <in2sheep@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
> >On 2005-04-25, Jeff Rife <wevsr@nabs.net> wrote:
> >> Mike Hunt (in2sheep@yahoo.com) wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
> >>> I don't have DTVHD but according to their website, these are
available:
> >>>
> >>> WB
> >>
> >> DirecTV doesn't have a WB HD feed available.
> >
> >Ah, you're right, that one has to be picked up from an antenna. My
bad.
>
>
> You liar.
>
> Sean

Are you actually calling him a liar for making a mistake and owning up
to it? I could understand it if he claimed he never said WB was
available via DTV, but he didn't. And as soon as someone pointed out
the error he owned up to it.

What part of this is lying?
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

On 2005-04-25, Sean <none> wrote:
> I had no idea DTV was so lame as far as HD goes. Is it really true
> that they only offer a few HD channels?
>
> That's pathetic.
>
> From Comcast I get:
>
> PBS
> ABC
> NBC
> CBS
> FOX
> Discovery HD
> UPN
> WB
> ESPNHD
> HBO
> Showtime
> Stars
> Cinemax
> INHD1 - (Special free HD channel)
> INHD2 - (Special free HD channel)
>
> I think that's all of them. I might have missed a couple.
>
> Can one of you DTV rumpswabs list the HD channels you get?

I don't have DTVHD but according to their website, these are available:

ABC
NBC
CBS
FOX
Discovery HD
WB
ESPNHD
NFL Sunday Ticket
Universal HD
HDNet
HDNet Movies
HBO
Showtime
Pay Per View
SPICE

Like you, I think that's all of them but may have missed a couple. Pretty
similar I would say.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

Mike Hunt (in2sheep@yahoo.com) wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
> I don't have DTVHD but according to their website, these are available:
>
> WB

DirecTV doesn't have a WB HD feed available.

--
Jeff Rife | "One minute we were spanking each other with
| meat, and the next minute it got weird."
|
| -- Joe Hackett, "Wings"
 

Sean

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
503
0
18,930
0
Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 16:34:49 -0000, Mike Hunt <in2sheep@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>On 2005-04-25, Sean <none> wrote:
>> I had no idea DTV was so lame as far as HD goes. Is it really true
>> that they only offer a few HD channels?
>>
>> That's pathetic.
>>
>> From Comcast I get:
>>
>> PBS
>> ABC
>> NBC
>> CBS
>> FOX
>> Discovery HD
>> UPN
>> WB
>> ESPNHD
>> HBO
>> Showtime
>> Stars
>> Cinemax
>> INHD1 - (Special free HD channel)
>> INHD2 - (Special free HD channel)
>>
>> I think that's all of them. I might have missed a couple.
>>
>> Can one of you DTV rumpswabs list the HD channels you get?
>
>I don't have DTVHD but according to their website, these are available:
>
>ABC
>NBC
>CBS
>FOX
>Discovery HD
>WB
>ESPNHD
>NFL Sunday Ticket
>Universal HD
>HDNet
>HDNet Movies
>HBO
>Showtime
>Pay Per View
>SPICE
>
>Like you, I think that's all of them but may have missed a couple. Pretty
>similar I would say.



Pretty similar until you note that the "local" channels come via an
antenna.

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/imagine/HDTV_programming.dsp

Then you're down to.

ESPNHD
UniversalHD
Discovery HD
HDNET Movies
HDNET
(Those are the $10.99 per month HD package)

Also available
HBO
Showtime
HD Pay per view
HD Spice

So, no dillweed. It's not pretty close.

It's pretty pathetic.

Sean
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

To Sean: What is the definition of a "rumpswab"?
No dictionary or thesaurus I have found says that this is even a word.Or
do you like making up idiograms that have no conection to the lexicon in
the real world?
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

On 2005-04-25, Jeff Rife <wevsr@nabs.net> wrote:
> Mike Hunt (in2sheep@yahoo.com) wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
>> I don't have DTVHD but according to their website, these are available:
>>
>> WB
>
> DirecTV doesn't have a WB HD feed available.

Ah, you're right, that one has to be picked up from an antenna. My bad.
 

Sean

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
503
0
18,930
0
Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 18:45:26 -0000, Mike Hunt <in2sheep@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>On 2005-04-25, Jeff Rife <wevsr@nabs.net> wrote:
>> Mike Hunt (in2sheep@yahoo.com) wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
>>> I don't have DTVHD but according to their website, these are available:
>>>
>>> WB
>>
>> DirecTV doesn't have a WB HD feed available.
>
>Ah, you're right, that one has to be picked up from an antenna. My bad.


You liar.

Sean
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

On 2005-04-25, Sean <none> wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 16:34:49 -0000, Mike Hunt <in2sheep@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
>>On 2005-04-25, Sean <none> wrote:
>>> I had no idea DTV was so lame as far as HD goes. Is it really true
>>> that they only offer a few HD channels?
>>>
>>> That's pathetic.
>>>
>>> From Comcast I get:
>>>
>>> PBS
>>> ABC
>>> NBC
>>> CBS
>>> FOX
>>> Discovery HD
>>> UPN
>>> WB
>>> ESPNHD
>>> HBO
>>> Showtime
>>> Stars
>>> Cinemax
>>> INHD1 - (Special free HD channel)
>>> INHD2 - (Special free HD channel)
>>>
>>> I think that's all of them. I might have missed a couple.
>>>
>>> Can one of you DTV rumpswabs list the HD channels you get?
>>
>>I don't have DTVHD but according to their website, these are available:
>>
>>ABC
>>NBC
>>CBS
>>FOX
>>Discovery HD
>>WB
>>ESPNHD
>>NFL Sunday Ticket
>>Universal HD
>>HDNet
>>HDNet Movies
>>HBO
>>Showtime
>>Pay Per View
>>SPICE
>>
>>Like you, I think that's all of them but may have missed a couple. Pretty
>>similar I would say.
>
>
>
> Pretty similar until you note that the "local" channels come via an
> antenna.
>
> http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/imagine/HDTV_programming.dsp

No, they don't.
ABC HDTV channel 86 or 87
NBC HDTV channel 82 or 83
CBS HDTV channel 80 or 81
FOX HDTV channel 88 or 89
etc.

These are DirecTV HD feeds. The Off-Air Antenna is Optional. It is true
that only select markets with eligible customers (probably ~85% of the
millions of DTV customers) get all these channels, but more DirecTV
customers can get these "local" HD channels than Comcast customers, plus
DirecTV is actively filling in the holes to get that number up to 100% of
the millions of customers.

>
> Then you're down to.
>
> ESPNHD
> UniversalHD
> Discovery HD
> HDNET Movies
> HDNET
> (Those are the $10.99 per month HD package)
>
> Also available
> HBO
> Showtime
> HD Pay per view
> HD Spice
>
> So, no dillweed. It's not pretty close.
>

You left out the football package which is one strong reason why certain
people even get DirecTV - for the HD sports.

Sean, you're such a lier.
 

Sean

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
503
0
18,930
0
Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 18:53:19 -0000, Mike Hunt <in2sheep@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>On 2005-04-25, Sean <none> wrote:
>> On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 16:34:49 -0000, Mike Hunt <in2sheep@yahoo.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>On 2005-04-25, Sean <none> wrote:
>>>> I had no idea DTV was so lame as far as HD goes. Is it really true
>>>> that they only offer a few HD channels?
>>>>
>>>> That's pathetic.
>>>>
>>>> From Comcast I get:
>>>>
>>>> PBS
>>>> ABC
>>>> NBC
>>>> CBS
>>>> FOX
>>>> Discovery HD
>>>> UPN
>>>> WB
>>>> ESPNHD
>>>> HBO
>>>> Showtime
>>>> Stars
>>>> Cinemax
>>>> INHD1 - (Special free HD channel)
>>>> INHD2 - (Special free HD channel)
>>>>
>>>> I think that's all of them. I might have missed a couple.
>>>>
>>>> Can one of you DTV rumpswabs list the HD channels you get?
>>>
>>>I don't have DTVHD but according to their website, these are available:
>>>
>>>ABC
>>>NBC
>>>CBS
>>>FOX
>>>Discovery HD
>>>WB
>>>ESPNHD
>>>NFL Sunday Ticket
>>>Universal HD
>>>HDNet
>>>HDNet Movies
>>>HBO
>>>Showtime
>>>Pay Per View
>>>SPICE
>>>
>>>Like you, I think that's all of them but may have missed a couple. Pretty
>>>similar I would say.
>>
>>
>>
>> Pretty similar until you note that the "local" channels come via an
>> antenna.
>>
>> http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/imagine/HDTV_programming.dsp
>
>No, they don't.
> ABC HDTV channel 86 or 87
> NBC HDTV channel 82 or 83
> CBS HDTV channel 80 or 81
> FOX HDTV channel 88 or 89
> etc.
>
>These are DirecTV HD feeds. The Off-Air Antenna is Optional. It is true
>that only select markets with eligible customers (probably ~85% of the
>millions of DTV customers) get all these channels, but more DirecTV
>customers can get these "local" HD channels than Comcast customers, plus
>DirecTV is actively filling in the holes to get that number up to 100% of
>the millions of customers.
>

Straight from the DTV web site:

In cities where local off-air high-definition programs are available,
reception may vary based on geographic location. Not all shows are
broadcast in HD in all markets.

Now, let's hear from a DTV customer via his pvr blog:

I called today to see how that FCC ruling went and unfortunately,
DirecTV lost. If you get local channels in standard definition format,
you cannot get HD. DirecTV can only offer Over the Air (OTA) antennas,
which doesn't help me being out in the hilly regions away from
Portalnd, OR. They did say if I lived in LA or NYC, I could get local
channels in HD from DirecTV, but otherwise the rest of the country was
screwed. I don't think five channels of varying content are worth a
thousand dollar box (with constant HDMI problems) plus ten bucks a
month.

So your 85% soon to be 100% is pure bullshit.

Not surprising to see that in this NG. It's one of the reasons I still
post here. Shining the light on liars like Mike Hunt.


>>
>> Then you're down to.
>>
>> ESPNHD
>> UniversalHD
>> Discovery HD
>> HDNET Movies
>> HDNET
>> (Those are the $10.99 per month HD package)
>>
>> Also available
>> HBO
>> Showtime
>> HD Pay per view
>> HD Spice
>>
>> So, no dillweed. It's not pretty close.
>>
>
>You left out the football package which is one strong reason why certain
>people even get DirecTV - for the HD sports.
>
>Sean, you're such a lier.

I also left out all the HD sports programming on Comcast too. So what.

And i just proved who the liar is.

Sean
 

seth

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2004
348
0
18,930
0
Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

"Sean" <none> wrote in message
news:p1bq61p900equ6oosa1odgoknmvd9v51gu@4ax.com...
>
> Pretty similar until you note that the "local" channels come via an
> antenna.
>
> http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/imagine/HDTV_programming.dsp
>

Well, I get my HD locals from DirecTV. I have no OTA antenna and live in an
area where you couldn't get OTA locals without a large antenna ontop of a
very large tower.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

"Seth" <seth_lermanNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:2fdbe.205$GM3.65@news02.roc.ny...
> "Sean" <none> wrote in message
> news:p1bq61p900equ6oosa1odgoknmvd9v51gu@4ax.com...
> >
> > Pretty similar until you note that the "local" channels come via an
> > antenna.
> >
> > http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/imagine/HDTV_programming.dsp
> >
>
> Well, I get my HD locals from DirecTV. I have no OTA antenna and live in an
> area where you couldn't get OTA locals without a large antenna ontop of a
> very large tower.
>

Hmm, DirecTV doesn't yet carry *any* HD local channels. If you receive the
big 4 networks in High Definition from DirecTV they are part of the nationwide
HD networks service. These channels are available only to those in areas served
by a network owned local affiliate. See three ways to receive ABC HD on this page:
http://www.directv.com/see/landing/abc_hd.html
similar qualifications are used for HD programming from CBS, FOX and NBC networks.

Note also the words about the anticipated launch of new satellites which will
deliver local channels in HD. When the new satellites are in service a new dish
and receiver will be required to receive HD local channels from DirecTV in some markets.
The new satellites for HD will obsolete current DirecTV HD receivers.

On this page, DirecTV indicates HD local channels are received with an OTA antenna.
http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/imagine/HDTV_localchannels.dsp
 

seth

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2004
348
0
18,930
0
Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

"Jack Ak" <akjack@excite.com> wrote in message
news:f%ebe.6819$J12.2542@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com...
>
> "Seth" <seth_lermanNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:2fdbe.205$GM3.65@news02.roc.ny...
>>
>> Well, I get my HD locals from DirecTV. I have no OTA antenna and live in
>> an
>> area where you couldn't get OTA locals without a large antenna ontop of a
>> very large tower.
>
> Hmm, DirecTV doesn't yet carry *any* HD local channels. If you receive
> the
> big 4 networks in High Definition from DirecTV they are part of the
> nationwide
> HD networks service. These channels are available only to those in areas
> served
> by a network owned local affiliate. See three ways to receive ABC HD on
> this page:
> http://www.directv.com/see/landing/abc_hd.html
> similar qualifications are used for HD programming from CBS, FOX and NBC
> networks.

Well, those big 4 are local to *me* as I am part of the NY DMA. They are
the same bog 4 I receive as part of my SD locals. Call them what you wish,
but they are my locals.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

On 2005-04-26, Dr. Personality <affable@no.com.invalid> wrote:
>
> I do not understand why people insist on responding to this moron.
> Sean already knows he's wrong. He's a troll. He calls people liars
> and worse. He's dicking with you. Why play with him? The sooner you
> all stop, the sooner he'll disappear again.

There are two main reasons I do it.

First is for the newbies here. People who are new might not know Sean is
a dip and actually think there is validity to his posts. They may
continue to think that until/unless someone posts a follow-up to Sean
showing how he is a dip.

The second reason is for google people. If someone is doing a search and
finds one of his posts, they may believe there is some truth in his posts.
When people follow-up and talk of his errors, these follow-on posts should
be found by google as well so people searching for real help and answers
will see to not rely on Sean's posts for anything.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

Follow up post to Sean:
I am really glad that the Comcast pay cable service really works for
you,I really do.But,you know what?? Comcast does NOT go everywhere
Sean.......AND......SATELLITE DOES!!
For those folks like me where cable companies just refuse to lay cable
or where they do not think upgrading a small cable outfit is worth the
trouble (like in my case),satellite is a real good option to have.
Now to semantics: Did you know that a cable company is just a glorified
SATELLITE system multiplexed to a neighborhood? Instead of a small
micro-dish like I use,they use a 60 to 90 foot SATELLITE DISH (yes,I
said SATELLITE DISH!) to deliver your signals to you.Oh.you already knew
that??! Well gee,the technical superiority of cable versus satellite is
actually part and parcel of the same thing.....
CABLE=CATV (Community Antenna TeleVision).
Until the day that cable (read: Comcast) stops
"blowing off" (ignoring) small TV markets like mine,I guess I will just
have to keep using my
FOR NOW,superior small satellite dish!
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

In article <116r5vsc1vsam2c@corp.supernews.com>, Mike Hunt
<in2sheep@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On 2005-04-26, Dr. Personality <affable@no.com.invalid> wrote:
> >
> > I do not understand why people insist on responding to this moron.
> > Sean already knows he's wrong. He's a troll. He calls people liars
> > and worse. He's dicking with you. Why play with him? The sooner you
> > all stop, the sooner he'll disappear again.
>
> There are two main reasons I do it.
>
> First is for the newbies here. People who are new might not know Sean is
> a dip and actually think there is validity to his posts. They may
> continue to think that until/unless someone posts a follow-up to Sean
> showing how he is a dip.
>
> The second reason is for google people. If someone is doing a search and
> finds one of his posts, they may believe there is some truth in his posts.
> When people follow-up and talk of his errors, these follow-on posts should
> be found by google as well so people searching for real help and answers
> will see to not rely on Sean's posts for anything.


Actually, I see your point, especially the bit about correcting his
obvious errors. Thanks for the explanation.
 

Sean

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
503
0
18,930
0
Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 20:05:55 -0400, "Seth"
<seth_lermanNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:

>"Jack Ak" <akjack@excite.com> wrote in message
>news:f%ebe.6819$J12.2542@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com...
>>
>> "Seth" <seth_lermanNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:2fdbe.205$GM3.65@news02.roc.ny...
>>>
>>> Well, I get my HD locals from DirecTV. I have no OTA antenna and live in
>>> an
>>> area where you couldn't get OTA locals without a large antenna ontop of a
>>> very large tower.
>>
>> Hmm, DirecTV doesn't yet carry *any* HD local channels. If you receive
>> the
>> big 4 networks in High Definition from DirecTV they are part of the
>> nationwide
>> HD networks service. These channels are available only to those in areas
>> served
>> by a network owned local affiliate. See three ways to receive ABC HD on
>> this page:
>> http://www.directv.com/see/landing/abc_hd.html
>> similar qualifications are used for HD programming from CBS, FOX and NBC
>> networks.
>
>Well, those big 4 are local to *me* as I am part of the NY DMA. They are
>the same bog 4 I receive as part of my SD locals. Call them what you wish,
>but they are my locals.
>

Lucky for you you are in LA or NY. As the pVR blog guy stated, the
rest of the country is screwed.

According to the math of Mike Hunt, LA + NY = 85% of the country and
apparently an epidemic will soon wipe out the rest of the US because
he claims the 85% will soon rise to 100%.

Sean
 

Sean

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
503
0
18,930
0
Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 19:36:01 -0700, SAC441@webtv.net (SAC 441) wrote:

>Follow up post to Sean:
>I am really glad that the Comcast pay cable service really works for
>you,I really do.But,you know what?? Comcast does NOT go everywhere
>Sean.......AND......SATELLITE DOES!!

Wrong.

Lots of people can't install a dish where it needs to be.


> For those folks like me where cable companies just refuse to lay cable
>or where they do not think upgrading a small cable outfit is worth the
>trouble (like in my case),satellite is a real good option to have.
> Now to semantics: Did you know that a cable company is just a glorified
>SATELLITE system multiplexed to a neighborhood? Instead of a small
>micro-dish like I use,they use a 60 to 90 foot SATELLITE DISH (yes,I
>said SATELLITE DISH!) to deliver your signals to you.Oh.you already knew
>that??! Well gee,the technical superiority of cable versus satellite is
>actually part and parcel of the same thing.....
>CABLE=CATV (Community Antenna TeleVision).
> Until the day that cable (read: Comcast) stops
>"blowing off" (ignoring) small TV markets like mine,I guess I will just
>have to keep using my
>FOR NOW,superior small satellite dish!


Good for you. Too bad you don't have access to Comcast. They do a
great job in my area.

Sean
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

> What part of this is lying?

No it's just Sean making his pathetic attempts to participate. He's really
a sad soul, so much free time and so much cluelessness.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

On 2005-04-26, Sean <none> wrote:
>
> Lucky for you you are in LA or NY. As the pVR blog guy stated, the
> rest of the country is screwed.

It isn't normally smart to take one person's personal blog and apply it as
the overriding rule of the world.

> According to the math of Mike Hunt, LA + NY = 85% of the country and
> apparently an epidemic will soon wipe out the rest of the US because
> he claims the 85% will soon rise to 100%.

Now you're just making up stuff. I never said LA + NY = 85%, plus the
rise in my percentage was due to DirecTV putting up new satellites to
cover additional areas not already listed below.

The areas, according to DirecTV themselves, that can get a HD "local" feed
is as follows:

Atlanta, GA
Austin, TX
Baltimore, MD
Birmingham, AL
Boston, MA
Boston, MI
Chicago, IL
Cleveland, OH
Columbus, OH
Dallas-Fort Worth, TX
Denver, CO
Detroit, MI
Flint, MI
Fresno, CA
Green Bay, WI
Greensboro, NC
Hartford, CT
Houston, TX
Kansas City, MO
Los Angeles, CA
Marquette, MI
Memphis, TN
Miami, FL
Milwaukee, WI
Minneapolis, MN
New York, NY
Orlando, FL
Philadelphia, PA
Phoenix, AZ
Pittsburgh, PA
Providence, RI
Raleigh, NC
Salt Lake City, UT
San Diego, CA
San Francisco, CA
St. Louis, MO
Tampa Bay, FL
Toledo, OH
Washington D.C.

You go ahead and figure out what percentage of the population doesn't live
in (or near) one of these cities.

Shawn
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Streaming Video & TVs 2
M Streaming Video & TVs 2
F Streaming Video & TVs 1
N Streaming Video & TVs 3
L Streaming Video & TVs 3
S Streaming Video & TVs 3
T Streaming Video & TVs 2
W Streaming Video & TVs 1
D Streaming Video & TVs 1
D Streaming Video & TVs 2
S Streaming Video & TVs 1
A Streaming Video & TVs 1
F Streaming Video & TVs 1
S Streaming Video & TVs 4
C Streaming Video & TVs 1
M Streaming Video & TVs 2
D Streaming Video & TVs 7
J Streaming Video & TVs 1
P Streaming Video & TVs 3
G Streaming Video & TVs 1

ASK THE COMMUNITY