is HDMI bi-directional?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shislandguy

Commendable
Apr 13, 2016
I have a home entertainment system with a bad blu-ray player. The 5.1 sound system and speakers are still good. All the replacement blu-ray players only have HDMI ports, not the standard 4.2mm speaker ports that the HTS system has?

I am trying to figure out a way to only replace the blu-ray player, and not buy a new HTS? If HDMI was bi-directional, I could run a HDMI cable from the new blu-ray player to the old HTS, and still use the existing speakers? Will this work? IF not, any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance, folks.

Solution
as i thought , its a htib. sometimes you get lucky and they have good support for auxiliary devices and sometimes they either dont or do not support 5.1. it looks like yours might work but you should try.

new dvd player hdmi out-> htib control box hdmi in
htib control box hdmi out -> tv hdmi in
set htib control box to hdmi 1 or 2

that should work. if you do not get 5.1 sound and only stereo, its likely a limitation like i spoke of earlier.
specify. what model and brand home entertainment system?

4.2mm is not a standard for audio. 3.5mm (1/8") and 6.3mm (1/4") trs is. sometimes rca is also used on some setups.

now, will running hdmi to the old system work? that depends on a bunch of what ifs including what the system is capable of. a model number/brand/manual would be needed to determine this. i will say that if your set has an avr and is not one of the low end systems AND if it supports hdmi(arc) you might be able to make it work. if your system is ancient and takes analog input for audio then you can pull that off hdmi with an extractor so you can also make that work.

again, we need details if you expect a correct answer.

shislandguy

Commendable
Apr 13, 2016
Thanks for the reply, and apologies for not posting the specifics earlier.

The HTS in question is a Samsung HT-EM54C.

as i thought , its a htib. sometimes you get lucky and they have good support for auxiliary devices and sometimes they either dont or do not support 5.1. it looks like yours might work but you should try.

new dvd player hdmi out-> htib control box hdmi in
htib control box hdmi out -> tv hdmi in
set htib control box to hdmi 1 or 2

that should work. if you do not get 5.1 sound and only stereo, its likely a limitation like i spoke of earlier.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.