Is it a good idea to buy a 1930's Electrohome tube radio and record player?

elizabethaengen

Prominent
Nov 28, 2017
The seller states that it is a three speed record player and the tube radio still works. I am just wondering if this would be a good purchase? I have a crosley record player which I am looking to get rid off as I have some very old collectible records that I would like to play but also keep in good condition instead of all scratched up. I would prefer a vintage looking if not actually vintage record player. Maybe there is a different modern model I should be looking at. I do not know much about record players, so any advice would be appreciated.

Solution
Any turntable of that vintage is not going to be very good at preserving your records. Won't sound very good by modern standards and be mono. The tube radio will be AM only so might not be of much use.
If you like the cabinet then buy it for that. You can then gut it and put in a system.
Which turntable you get would depend on whether you need 78rpm and what budget you have. Lots of options to choose from.
Any turntable of that vintage is not going to be very good at preserving your records. Won't sound very good by modern standards and be mono. The tube radio will be AM only so might not be of much use.
If you like the cabinet then buy it for that. You can then gut it and put in a system.
Which turntable you get would depend on whether you need 78rpm and what budget you have. Lots of options to choose from.

Solution