Is it possible to change a laptop's GPU?

legendkiller

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2011
You can BUT there's risk to it... What you'll need is a more powerful brick(otherwise it'll die fast even when charged) and HEAT... That GT 410m probably just have one heat pipe...

jthill909

Honorable
Nov 6, 2012
To put it simply...no, you can't. There is a tiny shrivel of hope when it comes to upgrading laptop gpu's, but for the mass majority it's either impossible or so risky/hard that it becomes pointless to do so.

I do know that it is possible to run a desktop gpu on a laptop by connecting it externally, but that method is also tricky and costly and should ultimately just be avoided especially since you already have a gaming desktop.

Bubbles12

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013
Alright, thanks you two for the responses!
It doesn't matter anyway, as this question was more out of curiosity than a practical one.
I just wanted to relax in bed, and play Minecraft, or spectate League of Legends matches. : )

legendkiller

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2011

You can easily do this by having thunderbolt on both Laptop and Desktop and use the cable... My friend have a dell laptop(with thunderbolt) and he got a $6000 desktop(with 2 GTx 690) and he could play FarCry3 on both laptop and desktop maxed out... all the graphic and cpu processing of FC3 on laptop is going to the desktop and is being processed on the desktop...