Is it possible to convert kitkat 4.4.4 CDMA "only" (not Global) to GSM?

nwgamelover

Honorable
May 25, 2014
I have a super nice Moto E that I just stuck in a drawer because I needed an unlocked GSM phone for my new company ( phone service). That was going on 2 years ago and just now I am finding that there is at least a possibility that this phone could been converted, and I could give it to my gal-friend who can't afford to buy a nice smartphone.

I found a lot of easy directions if my phone was a CDMA Global, but it isn't as far as I can tell because I can't pull up the "phone info" list that you get by putting in this code:

*#*#4636#*#*

When I put that in, after that final asterisk, it just vanishes. On my newere Moto E 2nd Generation, it comes right up and can be switched.

Is there any other option to turn this phone (the moto e 4.4.4 into a GSM?

Thank you in advance for any help. I so hate to see this phone just go to waste.

Solution
You can't convert a phone from GSM to CDMA or a CDMA to a GSM. They are completely different network types. The junk they post online about try this or that code, try this or that app, etc., is junk. Only a phone originally set to work as CDMA will work as such and the same goes for GSM. There are some rare phones out there that work on both, but they started out that way. Not converted or changed.

Sorry to say you either have to use it on the network type it was made for, or get a different phone to use the other network.
You can't convert a phone from GSM to CDMA or a CDMA to a GSM. They are completely different network types. The junk they post online about try this or that code, try this or that app, etc., is junk. Only a phone originally set to work as CDMA will work as such and the same goes for GSM. There are some rare phones out there that work on both, but they started out that way. Not converted or changed.

Sorry to say you either have to use it on the network type it was made for, or get a different phone to use the other network.

Solution

nwgamelover

Honorable
May 25, 2014
Thanks so much. I had a feeling that would be the verdict, but I so appreciate your reply. I'll see if I can sell it on Ebay or Amazon. First I'll find out which carriers use the CDMA and put that in my description so folks know ahead of time;)

Thank you again, Denise