Solved! Is it possible to short a laptop battery?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 10, 2018
Hi all, I have an acer vn7-793g laptop. I recently made the mistake of opening it up to clean dust from the fans with canned air while the laptop was "asleep" but not shut down. Thankfully I only rotated the fans, but now the laptop won't run on battery power. It still recognizes whether or not the battery is there and says the charge is 100%, and thankfully nothing else seems to be broken. Did I short the battery by manipulating the fans on a "live" machine, or is it more likely that I shorted or ruined some motherboard connection responsible for routing power? Thanks!

Nov 10, 2018

Thanks! I tried this and nothing happened. I was supposed to hold down the power button for 60 seconds with both the battery out and the power cable disconnected, right? I tried it and then put the battery back in. The laptop still won't run on battery but can still detect the battery.

Nov 10, 2018

Thanks for the advise. Is it possible that I shorted something on the motherboard or ruined the connection between the battery and the motherboard? The laptop can still sense when the battery is plugged in and everything else seems to be working fine. Also, would it be a good idea to remove the battery since it's not working and could potentially be a problem?

Nov 10, 2018

I'll try it and see how it goes! Do you think it will be safe considering there may be a problem with the battery? I also ordered a new battery to see if that could solve the problem. I'm just worried that I ruined some connection on the motherboard that won't let any battery work at all.

amd4lif3

Estimable
Oct 20, 2014
the motherboard is probably fine as the pins are really thick doubt you damaged it, also u have the detection so its safe.. i had the same issue with a dell lattitude left it on charge overnight the battery just needed calibration ahahah

Nov 10, 2018

Thanks again! I'll give it a shot and will post the results tomorrow. I'm still a little worried that the charging circuit might be damaged though.

Nov 10, 2018

I turned the laptop off and let it charge overnight, but it's still the same. Thanks though!

Nov 10, 2018

Will do. Will the laptop not being able to run from battery be a problem while updating the BIOS? Thanks!

Nov 10, 2018

I updated to the lastest BIOS and nothing changed. Thanks for the advise though! I ordered a new battery and that will hopefully solve the problem. I'm still worried that it's some hardware issue besides the battery but at least the laptop is working.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS