Solved! Is it possible?

Nov 18, 2020
after researching online I came across your article "How to spy on your neighbors With a USB TV tuner" because its happening to me. However, the article does not instruct how to combat that from happening.
Any suggestions before I go upstairs with a baseball bat

Solution
Thank you for responding, I follow router security protocol as best I can. However, I am not sure how much the electrical wiring system comes into play. I have a smart tv and fire stick and use ethernet connections for both, I am not sure but it seems like the upstairs tenant is watching my movie streams along with me 1) is that possible ? 2) if so what would she be using. 3) how can I combat the technology to stop her

Movie streams, as in from Netflix, etc...? How do you know they are watching the same thing you are at the same time? It's possible they got your logon and password, but as far as them cloning your video going to the TV to go to their TV, over random wireless signals, that is impossible. That article you read...
Only way to prevent wireless signals from leaving your room is to build a metal box around it. There is almost no chance that anyone would bother doing this to you though, you may want to put in some details about what exactly is happening. I have yet to see someone thinking they were being hacked by a neighbor or someone else that actually was, it's always simply some technical issue they did not understand.

Nov 18, 2020
Only way to prevent wireless signals from leaving your room is to build a metal box around it. There is almost no chance that anyone would bother doing this to you though, you may want to put in some details about what exactly is happening. I have yet to see someone thinking they were being hacked by a neighbor or someone else that actually was, it's always simply some technical issue they did not understand.
Thank you for responding, I follow router security protocol as best I can. However, I am not sure how much the electrical wiring system comes into play. I have a smart tv and fire stick and use ethernet connections for both, I am not sure but it seems like the upstairs tenant is watching my movie streams along with me 1) is that possible ? 2) if so what would she be using. 3) how can I combat the technology to stop her

Movie streams, as in from Netflix, etc...? How do you know they are watching the same thing you are at the same time? It's possible they got your logon and password, but as far as them cloning your video going to the TV to go to their TV, over random wireless signals, that is impossible. That article you read was about tiny changes that they used to detect very tiny data not a streaming movie. We are talking about data many thousands of times smaller than you would see in a video or even simpler things like music. And unless your neighbors happen to be expert computer engineers there is no chance they are doing anything of the sort even to see what you are typing.

If you think they are on your connection you just need to change your WiFi password and your account passwords to whatever services you use. Make sure the account options do not have any strange email or phone numbers added to them.

Solution
Nov 18, 2020
Movie streams, as in from Netflix, etc...? How do you know they are watching the same thing you are at the same time? It's possible they got your logon and password, but as far as them cloning your video going to the TV to go to their TV, over random wireless signals, that is impossible. That article you read was about tiny changes that they used to detect very tiny data not a streaming movie. We are talking about data many thousands of times smaller than you would see in a video or even simpler things like music. And unless your neighbors happen to be expert computer engineers there is no chance they are doing anything of the sort even to see what you are typing.

If you think they are on your connection you just need to change your WiFi password and your account passwords to whatever services you use. Make sure the account options do not have any strange email or phone numbers added to them.

Thanks for input, Interesting. Maybe I should start from the beginning so you know how I arrived to the original question. When I moved in, the upper tenant was already here. These are older apts and the previous landlords offered basic Direct TV to all, so the electrical wiring can come into play. When the Spectrum Installer came out he commented to me that the system was in dire need of an upgrade I brushed it off and my thinking was "just get me connected". The very next day another Installer came out from Comcast and I thought that was strange because in this area of Buffalo NY the only game in down is Spectrum. The Box for all access and cables (coaxial) leading from- to- individual Apts. are outside of my window so Im watching this guy do his thing and all of a sudden I happened to notice that the lights on my router turned color, the same color that when I reboot my router periodically it turns to. I thought that was strange. I made Spectrum come out and check on 3 different occasions .onetech did give me a MoCa filter.
I purposely started doing tests , out of the blue I would turn off my tv or turn off Fire stick, or my favorite, (on my sony tv you can turn off the picture and just have sound), all of which sends her scrambling around upstairs like her checking on why all of a sudden she went blackout. So now maybe you can see why I arrived here. There is not much info besides a your assistance I found out online. But I needed to know because it would never cross my mind to steal anything from anybody but nowadays ......

So really what happens is when you turn off your TV it seems the person upstairs also loses her TV? This can actually happen since many of the remotes are programmed to the same frequency so if they have the same brand stray signals can affect the other set also if it's in range. The router status lights could have simply changed as the tech was working on the connection. If you remove the cable or kill signal to it the router lights will reflect that. There is absolutely nothing here that I see that the neighbors are actively stealing your information, especially since you have no idea what is actually happening upstairs when you turn things off. If anything you should go check with them if you controlling your devices is also sending a signal to the other apartment with a test. What may be possible is that the cables got crossed or split so your cable connection is split to theirs, but that does not really affect anything for you unless they start ordering PPV movies that show up on your bill. If the other tech was a friend of theirs and split someone's signal for them that would be pretty illegal. You can have your cable company check that.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2020
Hang the 9, Thanks Interesting , I just got curious , I have been laid off since March and I probably have way too much time on my hand, lol but I appreciate you taking the time to give me some input