Is it worth getting a DAC for my Audio Technica M40xs?

CampfireCat

Estimable
Jan 3, 2016
I recently ordered an audio technica m40x on amazon along with a blue snowflake mic to replace my (now refunded) shitty gaming steelseries headset after doing some research. I'm now worried that my onboard sound won't be enough to provide me with the quality I need to enjoy my new headphones, even though in the past I've had no problems with my Gigabyte 970A-D3 motherboard's onboard sound.

Sorry if this is the wrong category I'm new to the forum.

Solution
you should still be fine with onboard if you did not have any issues in the past. i would give that a try first.

if you feel you do not like it anymore, there are two options:
-soundcard (soundblaster z, xonar dx, etc). whats nice about them is that you have virtual surround as an option.
-external dac+amp (fiio e10k, etc). whats nice about them is a physical control knob. no virtual surround... just stereo 2.0.

technically theres a third option of using your onboard and just getting an amplifier.. but those cans are not hard to drive so thats not required and i'd just use onboard instead.
you should still be fine with onboard if you did not have any issues in the past. i would give that a try first.

if you feel you do not like it anymore, there are two options:
-soundcard (soundblaster z, xonar dx, etc). whats nice about them is that you have virtual surround as an option.
-external dac+amp (fiio e10k, etc). whats nice about them is a physical control knob. no virtual surround... just stereo 2.0.

technically theres a third option of using your onboard and just getting an amplifier.. but those cans are not hard to drive so thats not required and i'd just use onboard instead.

Solution