Is it worth upgrading an old laptop?

SardaoVoador

Prominent
Apr 14, 2017
Hi everyone!
I have an old laptop that's dragging itself on Win10. Although it is about time for another cleanup, it was never really fast.
I'dd like to buy replacement desktop, but I don't think the time will come soon enough. Would anyone please advise if memory replacement, SSD instalation or any other possible upgrade would make any serious difference, performance-wise?
Since, for now, I'm stuck with this one, I plan to keep on using it as a MSOffice PC, websurfing and, occasionally, some Sketchup (it actually performs better at that than I expected it to).
I have been reading a lot of tutorials on desktop building, but I have no idea what to do with this setup, nor what it will sustain without bottlenecking, nor if its worth it. Bellow is the summary from HWiNFO64 (link). Will post detailed specs if needed, with this or any other system specs software advised.
Thanks everyone!
http://

Solution
You cant add more ram as 4gb are maximum if i remember it right, so only way how to make big difference is getting ssd, that would make your notebook much faster in response as your hdd is slowest part. And don't worry about having only sata2, you can only saturate sata3 with large file transfers and for normal work it is more than enough.

Mister_MO

Commendable
Jul 28, 2016
You cant add more ram as 4gb are maximum if i remember it right, so only way how to make big difference is getting ssd, that would make your notebook much faster in response as your hdd is slowest part. And don't worry about having only sata2, you can only saturate sata3 with large file transfers and for normal work it is more than enough.

Solution

SardaoVoador

Prominent
Apr 14, 2017
Thanks for the quick reply! I don't know much about SSDs. Do you figure that , for a system like this, I should buy based on the most capacity for my money or is it an incorrect aproach?

Mister_MO

Commendable
Jul 28, 2016
Ye, as long as you dont plan using this ssd in newer pc cheap one with higher capacity will be fine as even cheapest are much faster than hdd and still have nearly zero access time. Ssd differ based on iops - input/output operations per sec, higher number means faster reading of smaller files, but even cheapest one now most iops than highend few years ago.