MicroMarx

Estimable
Dec 17, 2014
OK let me be straight. I loathe mobile gaming.

For these reasons:

heat, mobile devices overheat like crazy since they have no fans and incorporating them in a small form factor in the future looks tough.

Power, mobile devices are small (duh) so packing some real power in them is near impossible.

Screens, screens are so small, seriously I'd rather look at a 32 inch display in all it's glory over a cramped 10 inch.

Controls, oh my days is it frustrating to play with touch controls, they are weird unresponsive and cramped. Yes you can get controllers but then it isn't mobile anymore because I'd need to carry my phone/tablet plus my Xbox controller making it so inconvenient.

AAA titles, let's be honest, developers already are wary of PC because of piracy (EA, UBISOFT,VALVE, etc.) And mobile gaming means digital distribution or nothing. Imagine companies not being able to sell in disks which are still piratable but it's rarer (consoles)

So do you guys think mobile gaming is the future?

Solution
This is a loaded question...

Shortsighted profit happy companies and 'expert' consultants are always touting something new and interesting as 'the future of X Y Z'.

It's more often a fad or hype than truth.

Think about the difference between fast food -vs- a great restaurant. Fast food is quick and easy to make and get, but also quickly and easily forgotten. What people will remember the last time they had a really great steak and wine/beer. Quality is how you establish your reputation and long-term profitability.

OriginalCadaver

Estimable
May 24, 2014
No, there is a future in mobile gaming and plenty of money to be had, but you will never get the immersion and quality that you get from a good pc or even gaming console. I would lean more towards the future being the VR stuff like Oculus Rift, Morpheus...once they figure it out. Try playing a game like Elite Dangerous in full VR, you will feel disappointed by just about anything else you play.

maddogfargo

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
This is a loaded question...

Shortsighted profit happy companies and 'expert' consultants are always touting something new and interesting as 'the future of X Y Z'.

It's more often a fad or hype than truth.

Think about the difference between fast food -vs- a great restaurant. Fast food is quick and easy to make and get, but also quickly and easily forgotten. What people will remember the last time they had a really great steak and wine/beer. Quality is how you establish your reputation and long-term profitability.

Solution