Solved! Is my bose lifestyle 5 system compatible with the Vizio P-series TV?

Mar 17, 2019
Hello,
Can I use my Bose lifestyle 5 system with a new Vizio P series TV?
Right now I have it connected to my 2005 Mitsubishi DLP, which I will be getting rid of. The system is connected through the Xfinity DVR box. Sometimes the surround sound on all 5 speakers work, sometimes they don"t, not sure why.
Thanks

Solution
From what I see online the Lifestyle 5 seems to be a 2.1 channel system that doesn't have surround speakers. Perhaps what you have is a Bose 5.1 cinema system?
If your old TV was connected to the Bose with an optical audio cable then you should be able to use that same connection with your new TV.
If it was connected with analog audio cables then you may need an optical to analog converter to connect the Bose since headphone or analog audio outputs are not as common as the optical output.
You would only get surround sound if the content was in surround sound unless you select a surround mode that would synthesize 5.1 from 2.0 material.
From what I see online the Lifestyle 5 seems to be a 2.1 channel system that doesn't have surround speakers. Perhaps what you have is a Bose 5.1 cinema system?
If your old TV was connected to the Bose with an optical audio cable then you should be able to use that same connection with your new TV.
If it was connected with analog audio cables then you may need an optical to analog converter to connect the Bose since headphone or analog audio outputs are not as common as the optical output.
You would only get surround sound if the content was in surround sound unless you select a surround mode that would synthesize 5.1 from 2.0 material.

Solution
Yes you can.
The Vizio P series has HDMI-ARC, digital audio, and analog audio outputs so there is no doubt you can connect the Bose. HDMI-ARC and digital audio are equally good. Analog audio would be not as good as either. HDMI-ARC requires both the TV and Bose to support ARC.
In all cases check the TV manual on how to use the output you select.
The surround sound mode you select on the Bose affects whether or not it will synthesize surround sound on non surround sound content. That may be why you don't always here all the speakers working.
If you use digital surround sound that allows for no leakage into channels when there is no audio so the speakers will only be heard when the you are supposed to hear them. On most content the center will be most used, the front left and right 2nd most used, and the surround speakers least used.
Analog surround sound like Dolby ProLogic derives center and surround channels from stereo so there is usually unintentional sound coming from more speakers than with Dolby Digital surround.

Mar 17, 2019
Yes you can.
The Vizio P series has HDMI-ARC, digital audio, and analog audio outputs so there is no doubt you can connect the Bose. HDMI-ARC and digital audio are equally good. Analog audio would be not as good as either. HDMI-ARC requires both the TV and Bose to support ARC.
In all cases check the TV manual on how to use the output you select.
The surround sound mode you select on the Bose affects whether or not it will synthesize surround sound on non surround sound content. That may be why you don't always here all the speakers working.
If you use digital surround sound that allows for no leakage into channels when there is no audio so the speakers will only be heard when the you are supposed to hear them. On most content the center will be most used, the front left and right 2nd most used, and the surround speakers least used.
Analog surround sound like Dolby ProLogic derives center and surround channels from stereo so there is usually unintentional sound coming from more speakers than with Dolby Digital surround.

That's exactly what is happening and I want to correct it with this new TV. My speaker wires run thru the walls, which is what I prefer, but somewhat old school. Is there a way I can upgrade my bose system that has HMDI that would enhance my system completely. Maybe in terms of using these same speakers and adding something like a Bose AV3-2-1 series II. Or just upgrade my Bose system, with something that would work and still use these same speakers.
Thank you so much for the information.
Randy

Mar 17, 2019
Hello,
Here I am again. The system that I want to upgrade is my old (1995) Bose Lifestyle Model 5 Music Center AM/FM/CD Player System. Once again, is it possible to upgrade everything and still use the existing speakers since I have the wires and speakers in place? I want to know if and what Bose system I can upgrade to use with my new Vizio Series-P TV, with HDMI.
Thanks again,
Randy