is my computer safe from viruses and keyloggers?

vahvex

Commendable
Aug 12, 2016
so here is my situation

i had a 128gb ssd with windows 10
3tb hard drive for storage
256gb ssd with league of legends on it

i took out the the 128gb ssd with windowers 10 on it and put in my 256gb ssd in as a new windows drive and i put windows 10 on it again and i got it checked for viruses etc by IT people just last week my question is i can i know for sure my pc is safe from viruses, keyloggers and spyware? i don't know if i had viruses on my old 128ssd is there a way it can get on the 256gb ssd i am using now? i am super paranoid and whats the best programs i can use to stop these kinds of things infecting my computer?

Solution
Unless it is never allowed any data or connections from any other source (Flash Drives, CD/DVD Rom discs, Computer Network, Internet, etc...), no computer is 100% secure from virus, spyware or malware infections.

Use Best Practices when using the computer. Don't download anything you're not sure of. Don't click on anything you're not sure of. Stay away from third party installers when possible. Be smart about what you're doing and you can avoid most problems people experience.

Run Anti-Virus scans often. I run a scan every night even though, using the above best practices, I know it's not necessary. I use Avira anti-virus (free).

Run Anti-malware/Anti-Spyware scans often. I tend to run them once a week or when I notice any type of...
Unless it is never allowed any data or connections from any other source (Flash Drives, CD/DVD Rom discs, Computer Network, Internet, etc...), no computer is 100% secure from virus, spyware or malware infections.

Use Best Practices when using the computer. Don't download anything you're not sure of. Don't click on anything you're not sure of. Stay away from third party installers when possible. Be smart about what you're doing and you can avoid most problems people experience.

Run Anti-Virus scans often. I run a scan every night even though, using the above best practices, I know it's not necessary. I use Avira anti-virus (free).

Run Anti-malware/Anti-Spyware scans often. I tend to run them once a week or when I notice any type of performance discrepancy from the norm. I use MalwareBytes and Spybot: Search and Destroy (both free)

Again, there is no such thing as a 100% secure computer. Even with all of the above prevention techniques, it is still possible (though unlikely) for your computer to become infected.

-Wolf sends

Solution
The first line you can do is use common sense.

Don't open unknown attachements in email, don't download files via p2p/torrent that you don't know what it is, don't just go click happy and click on random links (especially anything related to gambiling, online gaming, social media, or adult sites).

After that just get a good internet security suite like Bit Defender or Kaspersky.

There is absolutely no way to keep your computer completely safe from viruses unless you never connect it to the internet and never insert a CD or USB drive. There is also many web redirects that look like you are infected but it is just in the browser, close the browser and reset the home page and you are good again. Just being mindful of your activities takes care of a good 75% of the threat right there.

william p

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2010
The closest you can get to this is to have no HDD connected, and run Linux from a closed disc on a DVD drive. but the minute you connect to the internet spyware can be loaded into memory.
You need several programs. Antivirus is obvious, then spyware, then malware, then rootkit detector.
I use Kaspesky Internet security, Malwarebytes anti malware, Spybot Search and Destroy, and Malwarebytes Anti Rootkit.
The anti rootkit is very important as it finds files that use Windows file names,and present the original files to most scanners.
Other options are utilities such as Rollback Rx, and Rollback Restore that run outside windows and can restore you hard drive to a previous state. Automatocally with every startup if you want. The computer must be clean when it's installed so the frist locked image is good.
Back ups should be done only on removeable media that is actually removed.
TOR anonymizer can hide your IP adress. Not having a fixed IP adress to start with is a good idea.
Another option is to run Windows in a virtual machine inside Linux.
I'm actually not paranoid. My computer really is under constant attack. I ran my laptop to play music and it connected to my network and a few minutes later I saw the HDD light flashing rapidly. My firewall was turned off, my AntiVirus corrupted, and 7 rootkit drivers detected. I played around with it for a while, then Rolled it back to the first restore image and took it off the network. I'm writing this on a computer running from a Linux Live DVD. This should keep you bust for a while.

william p

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2010
I'm running from a non RW DVD. When I boot from my Windows SSD I see Python script trying to load and get wrong OS message. When I run Linux I can view my Windows drive (when connected) and see the spyware files. Also there is now malware thet loads into the BIOS and can't be detected by scanners in any OS environment. I don't know the cure for that one.