Missy6874

Commendable
Apr 9, 2016
I am using an HP Pavilion G7 2314nr which came with Windows 8. I made recovery discs but I lost them.
I can get to diagnostics but not into actual Bios (unless I'm missing something.)
The Optimized DST passed But both Short and Long DST failed.
I have done the hard reset like HP recommends. And tried reseating the HD.
If I power it on and let it go it says it's repairing but just goes into an endless loop. A few times it showed BSOD with an error related to ntfs.sys then restarted into an endless loop of repair.
I did buy a new HD but am still hoping to recover some of the data.If there is nothing I can do to save my data, is there at least a way to recover my product key?
BTW, I have had trouble with corruption in the past. Plus, thanks too my big dog, the laptop hit the floor hard enough to completely shut down/break the screen(it was open and running at the time)
Thanks in advance, Missy

Solution
Your hard drive is probably toast. You might still be able to recover some files off of it, but you should stop trying to use/repair it immediately.
You can get restore disks from HP. It may also be possible to install windows and activate it using the built in key, but it will take some work. Take a look here:
http://superuser.com/questions/697253/clean-install-windows-8-1-or-windows-8-from-oem-key
Once you have a working computer, you can get a USB adapter or dock for your old drive. Try to connect it and copy your files to the new disk. If you have valuable data on the disk, you should have a data recovery service do this for you. You will have to decide how to balance the risk of losing everything with the cost of recovery.

Calculagator

Estimable
Nov 18, 2014
Your hard drive is probably toast. You might still be able to recover some files off of it, but you should stop trying to use/repair it immediately.
You can get restore disks from HP. It may also be possible to install windows and activate it using the built in key, but it will take some work. Take a look here:
http://superuser.com/questions/697253/clean-install-windows-8-1-or-windows-8-from-oem-key
Once you have a working computer, you can get a USB adapter or dock for your old drive. Try to connect it and copy your files to the new disk. If you have valuable data on the disk, you should have a data recovery service do this for you. You will have to decide how to balance the risk of losing everything with the cost of recovery.

Solution

Missy6874

Commendable
Apr 9, 2016
Calgulagator - I assume the post at your hyperlink site is the one that contains PRETEXT" & "Here is the process" Very good post BTW.
Anyway, I am pretty new to this so am a bit confused. Where exactly is the BIOS? I always thought it was on the HD but I read somewhere that it is embedded in the motherboard.
I bought a disc that contains all versions of windows 8 (among many other versions)I would have to assume it's retail version. It is advertised as having the ability to recover, restore, or reinstall. So now what do you suggest I do?
From my research, I think I need to install the new HD and proceed from there. But, I am so overwhelmed with too much information which has just created mass confusion!
If possible, could you reply with at least the next 2-3 Detailed steps to take? I sure would appreciate some solid direction from someone who knows what the H*ll they're doing. (Like you!)
Thank you so much. Melissa
NOTE: Only internet I currently have is my smartphone. I do have an OTG to flash drive adapter but no DVD burner. (Maybe access to a PC elswhere but unsure if he has a burner)
Again, thank you for your help!

ffg7

Splendid

Calculagator

Estimable
Nov 18, 2014
If you are able, I would recommend that you take your computer to a local repair shop or friend. They should be able to put in the new drive and install/activate windows for maybe $50.
If you want to do it yourself, you will need to do some research. You are correct in thinking you should replace the drive first. You can just start unscrewing things until you find your drive or you can search youtube to find a video of someone taking apart a similar model and follow their steps. Most HP drives only require you to take out a few screws, but it varies widely from model to model-I can't help much without being able to see what yours looks like.
Once you've replaced your old drive with the new, turn on your computer and stick in the windows 8 disk. It should boot up the windows installation. You may need to reboot or press a key indicated on your screen, but it should be automatic. Follow the steps to install windows.
If you are prompted for a key and can't find one under your battery, you can google and use a "generic" key. This will allow the installation to continue. You will have to do some work to get windows activated, but you can do that later with the instructions in the link I gave before.

Once windows is installed, you can try to recover your old documents with a USB to SATA adapter like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-2-5-Inch-Adapter-Optimized-EC-SSHD/dp/B011M8YACM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1460470271&sr=8-3&keywords=usb+to+sata
Once you plug things in, you should be able to see if anything is still accessible on your old drive: it will show up in windows just like a usb flash drive.