is my laptop underperforming?

XenoPhim

Estimable
May 24, 2014
i have a toshiba laptop, and most websites (Game debate is one of them) tell me that i should be able to run skyrim at medium-high settings. But i get about 20fps in cities and when adventuring, i get about 35fps, and this is when im running it at LOW.

Specs
Intel i5-4200M 2.5ghz (4 CPU's)
6GB DDR3 ram

i have two GPU's,
Nvidia Geforce 710m (clocked)
Intel HD 4600 mobile (clocked).
(i use the intel for skyrim because i heard it is a bit better)

Solution
First off, the Nvidia 710M isn't a very good GPU for gaming, even for a mobile GPU. Second, never ever use Intel integrated graphics for gaming, NEVER. To get more FPS, set anti aliasing (it eats away frame rates) option to off or maybe 2x, and anisotropic filtering to off to 4x settings. Try tweaking the options in the Nvidia control panel too, if you haven't. Also, have you set the power option to high performance? Have you ran maintenance within this month? What resolution are you playing at?

hatsamshuz

Estimable
May 18, 2014
First off, the Nvidia 710M isn't a very good GPU for gaming, even for a mobile GPU. Second, never ever use Intel integrated graphics for gaming, NEVER. To get more FPS, set anti aliasing (it eats away frame rates) option to off or maybe 2x, and anisotropic filtering to off to 4x settings. Try tweaking the options in the Nvidia control panel too, if you haven't. Also, have you set the power option to high performance? Have you ran maintenance within this month? What resolution are you playing at?

Solution

XenoPhim

Estimable
May 24, 2014

1024x640, and let me try playing with the nvidia control panel, then i'll get back to you.

XenoPhim

Estimable
May 24, 2014

Thanks a lot man, i messed around with the nvidia control panel, i turned off everything, and it works pretty well now.