Is the Lenovo Thinkpad Edge E540 my best choice?

grasss

Estimable
Jul 2, 2014
I need a new laptop/notebook/ultrabook (I don't know) for a computer science study since I don't have one yet.
It will not be a replacement for my desktop PC.

After a day of searching on the internet the lenovo thinkpad edge e540 (20c6004gmh) seems to be the best for me.
But I still want to post this thread because you guys might know some better laptops.

1. What is your budget?
less than 800 euro (~1100 USD).

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
15,6 inch.

3. What screen resolution do you want?
I don't care but I would not mind if it happens to be full hd.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Portable.

5. How much battery life do you need?
More than 6 hours general use (web surfing/ typing)

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
No

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
Mostly school work, programming, compiling, lots of typing probably so I would like a nice keyboard.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
I prefer an SSD with 128gb of storage or more.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
-

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
At least 4 years.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
I don't care.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
I have no experience with laptop brands but I think I like Lenovo because they make laptops with nice keyboards.

13. What country do you live in?
The Netherlands

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
Will use the laptop probably only for programming, web surfing and school work.
I want a good keyboard since I will be typing a lot.

I would like to be able to get through a whole day at school (maximum 6-7 hours) without the need of a recharge.
A speedy cpu and reasonable amount of RAM would also be nice

I hope you guys can either confirm that the E540 is a good choice for me, or if you can recommend me a different laptop.

Solution

grasss

Estimable
Jul 2, 2014

That laptop is too eexpensive for me (cheapest solution with an SSD costs 970 euro)

Why don't you like Lenovo?
Is it the design or do they have low build quality?

lenovo is good overall i just don't like the lenovo e thinkpad series thats all. I think the thinkpad t series is better .

from the link I saw the cheapest solution without any addons is 670 euros if you use the discount code.
You can then buy a ssd for like 53 euros for a 128gb or 90 euros for 256GB

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00KFAGCWK/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&psc=1&s=computers

grasss

Estimable
Jul 2, 2014

you are looking at the english version of the site which shows pounds which is not the same as euro's (1 British pound =
1.25681019 Euros)

I've never thought about buying an SSD seperately but it will actually save me money if I install one myself.
I just looked at the ThinkPad S540 which I configured for € 762,91
compared to the E540:
A slightly faster CPU
Double the ram
Better battery

I will actually save 50 euros If I choose a 500GB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm (cheapest),
and buy an 250GB SSD seperately for 90 euro.

Do you think this is a good choice or should I take a closer look at other brands than Lenovo?
Thanks in advance

s540 is a good choice for your needs. btw you can also save on ram if you buy a ram stick and install it yourself.

Solution