Is the Motorola DROID Pro a BlackBerry Killer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

racermx187

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
This is what I have been wanting forever!! I love my Bold but hate the scroll ball. I have been wanting a Bold with a touch screen forever and now that there is a DROID that does this, it is even better

G

I believe we all have had enough of "this will or will not kill that." Do you think the public cares if the iPhone is killed by a new model Lionel train or blueberries are killed by Blue Jay? Enough of this idiocy.

jerreece

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
I'm really having a hard time choosing between a Droid X and Droid 2 for my next upgrade (May 2011). This could be an alternative phone as well, as a more direct replacement for my Blackberry Tour.

Though I think the full featured screen and such is a selling point I'm attracted to on the Droid X/2. Don't have much experience without a physical QWERTY keypad though.

jerreece

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
[citation][nom]racermx187[/nom]This is what I have been wanting forever!! I love my Bold but hate the scroll ball. I have been wanting a Bold with a touch screen forever and now that there is a DROID that does this, it is even better[/citation]

My BB Tour is the same way. Oh how nice it would be to use a touch screen to scroll!!! And still having the physical QWERTY is an advantage. At the same time though, that larger Droid X/2 screen option is appealing for web based stuff.

extremepcs

Distinguished
May 6, 2008
Coprporate email without BB Enterprise Server. What a concept. I ditched my BB months ago because I was sick of supporting a separate server just to get email and contacts to sync with Exchange. I hope Moto plays nice with MS so they aren't forced to remove the Exchange sync features.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
@lauxenburg: "The Android phone market is so saturated."

What could this statement mean? Do you find your local supermarket 'saturated' with food? Do you find the local Best Buy 'saturated with electronics?

Darkv1

Distinguished
May 30, 2009
I can see businesses switching users over to this to avoid having to run a BB server...as long as everything plays nice with Exchange.

G

When did toms become spammers heaven, get rid of this crap and ban these people and IP's from creating new accounts. eed45 and vovo its called craigslist

BoxBabaX

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
[citation][nom]jerreece[/nom]I'm really having a hard time choosing between a Droid X and Droid 2 for my next upgrade (May 2011). This could be an alternative phone as well, as a more direct replacement for my Blackberry Tour.Though I think the full featured screen and such is a selling point I'm attracted to on the Droid X/2. Don't have much experience without a physical QWERTY keypad though.[/citation]

My upgrade date is in March, and I don't plan on getting either of those. There will be MUCH better phones by then on Verizon!

suoeno

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
"Is the Motorola DROID Pro a BlackBerry Killer?"

I'm not in the NA market so I'll comment on what may or may not happen here in SEA region.Depending on Moto's speed of market entry (which is closely related to;carriers or unlocked etc) and pricing strategy,yes this model can be a BB killer.Fast or slow death however are highly debatable.

On paper this Droid PRO already won on pure hardware brawn.

Took 'em long enough with the original Droid/Milestone fiddled out about with carriers when they should have already knew that how it works in NA does not work the same way out here.In my country Malaysia it took right till this month for RIM to wise up and appoint a separate authorized distributor for BBs and this is after the hard realization that carriers here struggle to balance after sales support and people just aren't used to be told to sign into voice/data contracts just for any lower priced phone.Unlike what most authorized device-only distributors can provide.

rbarone69

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
[citation][nom]Darkv1[/nom]I can see businesses switching users over to this to avoid having to run a BB server...as long as everything plays nice with Exchange.[/citation]

Ya well the last 2.2 update screwed exchange support. The exchange doesnt work anymore and Verizon has not implemented an update to make it work! So ya, anyone who has a blackberry that works with the lastest updated Exchange the phone will not connect. They need to fix that FIRST! I really dont think rooting the phone to downgrade to 2.1 is a good solution...

Here's just a snippet of the people having problems:
http://community.spiceworks.com/topic/108223

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
Actually it's a good target. The Droid X aims after the potential iPhone users, Droid 2 aims after those who used the slideout keyboards (made popular by some earlier WinMo phones), and the Droid Pro goes after BB users. Brilliant actually.

Now that iPhone is coming to Verizon next year (WSJ article this morning...where's your article Tom?), we'll have to see what happens to Android sales.

wawa sxm

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
this just upsets me more that blackberry gave up on a bold with touchscreen....to me the bold is such a great phone it had the potential to be perfect...never was a fan of the storm or torch..if i was i probably would have gotten an iphone by now

Status
Not open for further replies.