Is the PSP Phone a Eureka Moment For Microsoft?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eyemaster

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
I disagree with what you are saying. The WP7 commercials talk to me greatly and have me considering one. In and out quickly is what I would want in my next phone. I hate spending time getting to some peice of information on a phone, I would rather have it there within one click (touch) than having to type in anything or go through any menu system.

I have yet to try out a WP7 device, but the commercials are speaking to me and I can't wait to try one out to see what I will pick next (WP7 or Galaxy S type of phone).

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
I think thier failure was in their carriers. People are tired of AT&T. The pricing is a bit too high and it fails to do what Microsoft accels at. Offer a wide array of people a superior device for less.

CsG_kieran_2

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2010
Only thing that we can call successful from MS is windows, even though its a half hearted copy of OS/2 (IBM). Credit to there first full blown OS.... yeah, it was Vesta.

Nice view you giving there :) my WF7 sucks...

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
Maybe they are just saying it wrong. I don't think people mind spending time with their phones, they just don't want to spend more time than required. I had a previous incarnation of the Windows phone, and found it took too long to find things and do things with the phone. It was much quicker with the iphone to pick it up and for instance find the calculator. I switched for this reason. Now MS has gone even one better with their live tiles. Rather than having to go through several steps to do something, you can get to it directly through the live tile.

But their advertising still needs to be more "cool" and "hip" to attract the braindead masses that buy most of the phones.

miloo

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
Xbox 360 phone ? sounds good ~
anyway i had no idea why sony would come up with a psp phone since its own psp go is crap
it sell cheaper than a psp 3000 now

Dont get me wrong, PSP go is a cool device, what make me think that psp go dont work out is those fxxking game that I cant get, like those latest big title etc "monster hunter portable 3rd"
even those game company are not supporting digital download or may be delay the release on PSN, whatever. just make me want to sell my psp go for a psp 3000.

I m not sure how psp phone gotta survive

peace ~

sultansulan

Distinguished
May 29, 2010
And last time, Microsoft won the OS war, this time it's Google - that's great for consumers, as it's an open source OS that wins, meaning Android's monopoly won't hold back innovation (unlike the Windows monopoly, where only Microsoft could drive things forward; this time everybody can).

angelraiter

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007
I agree with Falchard, but I also am confused about what the WP7 is. The article pretty much says it all, imo. I've seen commercials, I've seen some demos and whatnot and i must say, I feel more attracted to other devices. I have an iPhone 4 and my mother has a Sony Ericsson X10, so I've had some contact with Droid, also, a couple of friends just got the Galaxy S and it looks great! I don't really see microsoft battling out for their space in this market. Also, technologically, the WP7 also leaves room for improvement, especially in the graphics chip and battery life, from what I can tell. The phone and the marketing behind it just feel weird to me, feels rushed.. IDK.. I thought about waiting on the WP7 but I got a great deal on the iPhone and I already had the 3GS so I ended up going for it, mostly cause of the apps I had, but I must say, the screen and battery are awesome! Nothing out there can beat the iPhone in those 2 criteria! I couldn't be happier with it! When you put the iPhone 4 or the galaxy s next to a WP7, it makes it a really hard buy..

G

The price of AT&T is too high? I think all the plans are too high, but they're sustained because of their oligopoly. That said, I found AT&T's family plans cheaper than Verizon's, but more expensive than T Mobile's. I'm less sure about Sprint's plans. Nonetheless, AT&T and Verizon are clearly the "big dogs" of U.S. mobile. I do wish Google had followed through on their bid to own the 700 MHz spectrum and become a mobile carrier, but I'm not sure how much you have to dilute an oligopoly before there is real competition....

hixbot

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
I'm waiting for a smartphone with cutting edge CPU and GPU, dual analog controllers, and an open gaming platform.

Let me know when it's available.

G

What are the names of the phones people are so distracted by? I "really" want one!

daglesj

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2007
Its only phones. Do we really have that little of importance in our sad little lives that this is actually even vaguely important?

I find folks that obsess over phones and such things very very sad.

rhino13

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
I'll be happy buying most any phone who's name is not preceded by an 'i'.
I'm not as much of a fanboi as a hater I guess.

In truth I am excited by Zeus though.

G

Wow.. I bet you wrote this from your iPhone...

Maybe you should put it down for a couple of hours and actually test out a WP7 phone.
I've had an iphone 3g, 3gs, and 4. I got a windows phone 7 phone for my wife and 2 days later sold my iphone and got myself an htc surround.

Microsoft did an amazing job on this phone, has had a really successful launch in terms of sales, bugs, and overall user ratings, and has perfectly implemented gaming and a way for future gaming to evolve greatly over time..

With the programming language being used for apps (silverlight .net), the possibility for future advanced gaming on these phones is incredible. You very possibly will see cross platform games being released for 360 and windows phone 7 within the next couple years.

*Seriously, what was the point of writing this article...
"There is no need for a device that is better than Android or the iPhone."
That sums it up perfect.. The windows phone 7 is here to stay, get over it. I wouldn't be surprised if it overruns the iphone in a couple years as blackberry is already doing (in reference to blackberry phones outdoing iphones in internet usage last month)..

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]mikehenken[/nom]Wow.. I bet you wrote this from your iPhone...Maybe you should put it down for a couple of hours and actually test out a WP7 phone. I've had an iphone 3g, 3gs, and 4. I got a windows phone 7 phone for my wife and 2 days later sold my iphone and got myself an htc surround.[/citation]
You obviously didn't catch the subtelty that Tuan is trying to convey
Technologically the phones are great, but that is not what he is talking about
What he is talking about is image, branding and placement within a market
WP7 phones are as powerful and capable as the Sony Zeus for gaming, but where Sony have hung their hat squarely on it being a PSP "gaming" phone there has been no aggressive marketing campaign by MS to push WP7 as an "Xbox" phone.

If they had then it may or may not have affected sales but it would at least have cemented an idea in the minds of the public that this phone is the opne to pick ahead of its rivals if you want to play games.

Perhaps MS needs to focus 3 month long campaigns towards its strongest points:-
Xbox gaming
Social networking
Multimedia
...in that order

G

I'm an Android user, and I doubt I will switch. However, there is one element of the WP7 interface that I love: the big icons.

I know that you 20yr old gadget lovers will laugh at this. However, most people's eyes go through major shifts in the 40 to 50 year old range. If we assume phone users are from 10 to 70 this means that almost half of them are in the older age range, and yes, we use smartphones also.

The little battery meter on my android has a percent remaining, but I can't read it. Likewise with some of the small type on various widgets. A big bold icon with numbers of emails would be great.

Again I know this will be a laughing matter for some of you. However, if your goal is market penetration, then you need to think about the needs for different market segments, and I would predict that users older than, say 45, is a large enough segment to think about.

hiruu

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2007
I like my WP7, and i use it ALOT. Not sure who are these people keeping it in their pocket all the time, but there are tons of things to do with the phone...I'm on T-Mobile, and it's great.

Status
Not open for further replies.