Is the ratio of value and power between a pc and a laptop getting better or worse?

David_24

Estimable
Aug 26, 2015
It seems like its easy to get a modern i7 for 2k where as a computer like that would for like 1500 or less.

When I went to the store 5 years ago they said an equivilent laptop would be twice as much.

Solution
Depends on the price-segment. You can have very cheap laptops, which perform horribly, but can be compared to very poor and old stock left in stores. You also have fat gaming laptops which, if on special offer, can be close to a mediocre desktop. But again, the odds of getting more power for the money in a laptop vs a desktop is much worse, except for special deals and exceptions.

These exceptions are more numerous, if still few, compared to before.

Palewing

Estimable
May 9, 2015
If you want a slim laptop, then yes, you will pretty much pay twice the price for the "same" performance. If you are willing to get a fat, heavy laptop, there are some decent value laptops out there. But don't forget that a laptop-screen can be worth several hundred dollars in itself.

TJ Hooker

Honorable
Apr 15, 2014

Depends on which processor. If you're looking at the low power -U mobile parts, where i5s and i7s are still dual core with HT, then yes. Otherwise they're pretty much the same chip as the desktop variants, only clocked lower. So the performance gap is only as large as the gap in clock speed. Something like a i5-6300HQ actually stacks up pretty well against desktop i5s.
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Core-i5-6300HQ-Notebook-Processor.149424.0.html

First you suggest a relatively simple comparison, laptop vs desktop, then you threw in TIME. Was this last variable a freebie or are you really asking this variable through time?

David_24

Estimable
Aug 26, 2015

Ya i specifically wanted to know if laptop technology is catching up to desktop price/value wise or falling behind.

Palewing

Estimable
May 9, 2015
Depends on the price-segment. You can have very cheap laptops, which perform horribly, but can be compared to very poor and old stock left in stores. You also have fat gaming laptops which, if on special offer, can be close to a mediocre desktop. But again, the odds of getting more power for the money in a laptop vs a desktop is much worse, except for special deals and exceptions.

These exceptions are more numerous, if still few, compared to before.

Solution