Solved! Is the Surface Book i5 2016 Too Dated? (For casual, non-video, graphic design)

Oct 31, 2018
I'm a casual graphic designer and I'm looking for a new 2-in-1. I don't do any gaming or video editing, but photo editing and many-layered vector design.

I've come across what I believe is a good deal ($1200) on a Surface Book from 2016 (Intel Core i5-6300U/256GB SSD/8GB RAM). It has a dedicated NVIDIA graphics card [940M(X?)] and has amazing reviews from when it was released, especially for graphic design, but is it now too dated? Should I consider something else?

Thank you so much, in advance, for your help.

Oct 31, 2018

Thanks so much. I'm happy you feel the way I do, but I was hoping for a suggestion more based on graphic design capability and the demands current software may have on processors, RAM, and video cards these days, considering it's from 2016 (or earlier). What do you think?

There is not that much speed difference in new CPUs vs ones a few years old, and it's very unlikely the software got that much more demanding. Graphic Design is a very generic thing, like "multitasking", "light gaming", "student". If you know what software you will be using, look up the system requirements for that software.