Is there a cheaper, less compact equivalent to Bose Soundlink Mini II (for Echo Dot)?

9t9redballoons

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010
Hi all,

I'm looking to buy speakers for my Amazon Echo Dot and I'm looking at the Bose Soundlink Mini II that you can order bundled with it on Amazon.

The impression I've gotten is that there are few portable speakers that can compare at that price (currently ~$180). What I'm wondering is if I could get comparable sound from a non-portable setup, say a basic 2.1 speaker system with two stereo speakers and a subwoofer.

Does that exist somewhere, and if so, do you have any suggestions? Ideally it would be less than $100, but I would spend up to $200 if it was better than the Bose speakers.

Since this would be for playing music from my Echo Dot, it would have to be connected either by Bluetooth or with a single 3.5mm audio jack.

Thanks!

Solution
the soundsticks linked are on the better side of things for pc speakers but i believe powered bookshelf speakers would be better.

products like the mackie cr3/cr4, audioengine a2, micca pb42x, krk rokkit 5 or similar are great little 2.0 systems you could use.

another option would be to get passive speakers and an amplifier. you could pick up for example a pair of klipsch (or insert other brand of your choice) bookshelf speakers and a mini amp. i personally really like the dayton dta-120 amplifier and for $80 it is money well spent. at 40wpc it will not push the speakers to their limit, but likely loud enough for general listening.

9t9redballoons

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010

Thanks for your response. How would bookshelf speakers compare to a 2.1 set like this? http://a.co/f9UOArP

the soundsticks linked are on the better side of things for pc speakers but i believe powered bookshelf speakers would be better.

products like the mackie cr3/cr4, audioengine a2, micca pb42x, krk rokkit 5 or similar are great little 2.0 systems you could use.

another option would be to get passive speakers and an amplifier. you could pick up for example a pair of klipsch (or insert other brand of your choice) bookshelf speakers and a mini amp. i personally really like the dayton dta-120 amplifier and for $80 it is money well spent. at 40wpc it will not push the speakers to their limit, but likely loud enough for general listening.

Solution

9t9redballoons

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010

Thanks! That's really helpful. What do you think of these? http://a.co/6ph9Kv6