Is there a Way to Isolate Devices on Same Network from Each Other?

atrueidiot

Commendable
Oct 2, 2016
Suppose a person has 4 devices on their home network (for example: a desktop; a laptop; a cell phone; and chrome cast).

And suppose one of those devices has malware on them, which could possibly spread through the LAN and infect other devices.

Is there some way to isolate all these devices from one another, while still having them each individually remain connected to the router/LAN/home network?

If so, how?

Jester Maroc

Honorable
Apr 30, 2013
Many routers can create a guest network which will only give them access to the internet and not to any devices on the local network. In order to help we need to know what router/network devices you have installed at you home network.

USAFRet

Illustrious

If a device can 'see' another device on the LAN, it is possible for one to infect the other.
Malware and viruses are evil like this.

Best way to prevent an infection? Don't get an infection in the first place.

Now...cross platform/multi platform infections are not common. Phone->PC, for instance.

atrueidiot

Commendable
Oct 2, 2016

My "story" is here, Jester:
http://www.techist.com/forums/f51/did-malware-hackers-infect-my-entire-household-need-help-278311/#post2187082 (Techist)

and here:
http://security.stackexchange.com/questions/138546/did-malware-infect-my-entire-household-need-help/138547 (Stack Exchange)

and on other forums like CNET, Bleeping Computer, Computer Forums, etc. (even here at Tom's Hardware lol)

The links above (I posted the same story) give the background information for my problem. But, in regards to your question, I currently have the following:

Verizon Fios internet
Actiontec M1424WR Rev. I router
1 Laptop (new and never connected to the internet)
1 iPAD (old and previously compromised, but reset/erased back to factory settings)
2 Chromecast units connected to our two TVs
1 Printer (which has WiFi)
2 Cell Phones (both are WiFi enabled, but neither has ever connected to the internet)
1 device called "Unblock Tech" that allows my parents to watch foreign TV shows (this thing is connected to our router)

Right now, our router is unplugged, as I am wiping/erasing/resetting devices and trying to clean/secure my router, before hooking things back up.

Jester Maroc

Honorable
Apr 30, 2013
It seems like you already got some excellent help from carnageX at techist.

You do not have the network hardware required in order to create two isolated networks that access the internet via the same router (gateway).

However, cleaning up your devices should be your primary objective (even if you need to do a clean Windows installation on your PC).

Secondly, stay away from suspect websites and keep your devices updated (both Windows and Antivirus).

If you follow carnageX's suggestions and also do the above you should be safe. Consider your ordeal a great learning experience!