Is there any point in antivirus?

Louis H

Honorable
Dec 1, 2013
My Avira antivirus has picked up nothing ever and neither did microsoft security essentials when i used to use that, which should mean there's nothing getting through as 'real-time protection' is on. However when i ran malwarebytes just now it found 10 malicious objects which my antivirus scan didn't see!

Is this antivirus even benefiting me and if not should i have a different one?

STACKS ON DECK

Honorable
Dec 28, 2013
anti virus programs runs under certain conditions .. they let less potential threats pass cause they not harms you pc anyway and and these files are sometime developed by some low profile coders and left some unhandled excpetions . . antivirus softwares will let them pass until you force them to scan on it . .

Spectre694

Estimable
Feb 28, 2014
Malware spyware and Viruses are different sets problems not all will be caught by different programs that is why you should always run checks with other programs such as Malwarebytes.

Part of your problem is that neither of those are particularly great pieces of software.

Avast is a good antivirus as is AVG(bloated though) both free Norton is decent expensive though. Malwarebytes and Spybot are good for Malware and Spyware respectively.

Gee Bee

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014
Yes, it's benefiting you. I don't much about Avira. I used Kaspersky for years and have for a few months been using AVG Internet Security 2014 and i like it. However, i also Malwarebytes along side in real time and it's gets everything AVG misses because it's made for finding Malware. Antivirus\Internet security suites have to do so much more. People are going tout this or that based on personal experience, what the performance reports say in their ability to catch threats, Who responds to new threat with the fastest updates etc. Whatever you go with i would recommend using malwarebytes in real time, which means you have to buy. The free version will only scan with user input.

Hope that helps.