Is there any way to put a password or encrypt a whole internal disk drive?

Pawniac

Estimable
Apr 3, 2014
As the title says, I want to encrypt, or put a password on the files I have in my disk drive, and have them stay locked even if the drive is ejected and connected to a different PC.

I'm sure system files can't be encrypted, but I want to encrypt documents, pictures, etc. I am currently using Folder Lock (trial version) but it's my first time using it and I have no idea how secure it is or if it fits the job.

Thanks.

Solution
Look into EFS, its windows file encryption. that would be the easiest way to encrypt everything. Depends upon how secure you need things to be. For even more secure you can start looking into things like truecrypt(etc)

BitLocker is also a windows encryption feature, more secure than EFS would be I assume.

DeadlyDays

Honorable
Mar 29, 2013
Look into EFS, its windows file encryption. that would be the easiest way to encrypt everything. Depends upon how secure you need things to be. For even more secure you can start looking into things like truecrypt(etc)

BitLocker is also a windows encryption feature, more secure than EFS would be I assume.

Solution

Pawniac

Estimable
Apr 3, 2014

I'll look into BitLocker and TrueCrypt, much appreciated. I need to encrypt the files so that in the worst case scenario, someone with knowledge on the matter can't decrypt them.

eatmypie

Honorable
Sep 12, 2013
Truecrypt? Truecrypt uses extremely outdated code from years ago 'No longer maintained. The only one based on the same code but updated and maintained would be Veracrypt and it actually works very well. The initial installation setting your passwords, PIM, Keyfile only take a few minutes. Then depending on your computers speed like I did it on my older 2011 netbook about a week ago takes 30mins to 2 hours. What you would do with Veracrypt just for basic folder encryption is you would make what are called volumes that each time you login you wouldn't be able to see until you decrypt and mount the volume. You can either makes these volumes visible or completely hidden until you mount them. This is more of a solution to simple local content encryption, you would need another application if you wanted to encrypt and store your folders in a cloud and so on.