Is this 42" plasma tv worth $100?

FlyingHigh85

Honorable
Aug 12, 2013
A neighbor is selling a ~7-year-old 42" Phillips plasma tv (model 42PF9631D-37). He says it has a strange problem: when the tv is cool, it turns-on and works fine, but once it is turned-off, it takes DAYS to turn back on. Also, he has to unplug it when he turns it off because LEDs on the tv start flashing.

He hasn't had a chance to show me the tv yet, but I suspect the problem may be bad capacitors. So IF the problem is just ~$10-worth of capacitors that need to be replaced, is it worth his $100 asking price?

Solution
If you feel comfortable in your ability to change the caps then I would ask you neighbor if you can give him the $100 IF you can get it working within a reasonable time period. You might loose a few bucks on the caps and your time but that seems a reasonable gamble. I would change any 85 degree caps while I was at it and maybe use a higher voltage too as the tolerances on the original parts could be to close to the actual operating voltages.

Chainzsaw

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2002
Depends on how hard/easy it is to replace the capacitors. If it takes you hours and hours and head ripping to fix it, it may not be worthwhile.

100$ for a 42" plasma is a pretty good deal if you can get it to work properly.

FlyingHigh85

Honorable
Aug 12, 2013
A new, similar tv costs ~$300. If I was certain that the problem was just a few bad capacitors, I would say that his asking price is fair, but I'm not SURE that's the problem. I was hoping that someone here might be knowledgeable enough to say "yes, this is the problem" or "no, that's not the problem, it's this..." The time it takes to replace the capacitors isn't an issue. I'm willing to spend a chunk of time this weekend replacing them. I have never swapped out caps, but I've read/watched some how-tos and I feel I have the tools and skills required. It's always good to learn a new skill.

Chainzsaw

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2002
Well it really does sound like a cap issue if it's turning on (eventually). Although I cannot say for certain as i've never replaced caps on a TV before.0

Maybe look for guides on the net to see if your model shows up - and see if it's possible to replace the caps.

FlyingHigh85

Honorable
Aug 12, 2013
I posted the same question on other forums.

On badcaps.net, some people who SEEM to know what they are talking about said there are two 3300microF 16V capacitors on the circuit board of the tv power supply that are likely the problem (one of the people claims to be a student of technology at Leeds Univ). He recommended Nichicon caps. Replacement caps (3300microF, 25V, 10000hrs @ 105C) can be bought on digikey for $2 each, so $4 total + shipping. He said the higher voltage rating is acceptable. Pics I've seen of the power supply seem to indicate that the original caps were only rated for 2000hrs at 85C. The person on badcaps.net recommend buying caps rated for a higher temperature because they are located in a hot spot near heat sinks. And, since the stock caps are only rated for 2000hrs, I'm surprised they lasted as long as they did. If the tv was on for 2-hrs/day, the 2000-hr mark would be reached in under 3-years.

On avsforum.com, they told me that Phillips is generally not a reliable brand and that I would likely be wasting my money. Not much help, technically.

If you feel comfortable in your ability to change the caps then I would ask you neighbor if you can give him the $100 IF you can get it working within a reasonable time period. You might loose a few bucks on the caps and your time but that seems a reasonable gamble. I would change any 85 degree caps while I was at it and maybe use a higher voltage too as the tolerances on the original parts could be to close to the actual operating voltages.

Solution