Is this a good laptop to buy?

zool33

Commendable
Sep 19, 2016
Hi, I want to get myself a laptop, and I've searched the internet for quite a while. I stumbled upon this offer.
The price is 3000 PLN which is around 860USD/720EUR/640GBP. Is this good enough?

It has been used for half a year, and is still on warranty until May 2019. Here are the specs:

CPU : Intel Core i5-6200U
GPU : Intel HD Graphics 520 / AMD Radeon R7 M360 2GB
RAM : 16 GB
DRIVE : 480GB SSD
SCREEN : Full HD 14 inch

Are there better choices in this price range?
Thank you for your answers.

Solution
Taking into consideration that the ThinkPad e460 is a used laptop for 3,000 PLN, you can get something that is brand new and more powerful. Having said that, ThinkPads are pretty much designed as a semi-rugged laptop that take a beating since they are certified to operate in harsh conditions for the US military; referred to as "MIL-SPEC". There have been demonstrations of fully cups of water poured on top of a ThinkPad's keyboard with no affect on the laptop itself since it has built in drain holes. These laptops have also been drop from about 3 to 4 feet onto a hard floor and 9 feet onto what seems to be a thickly carpeted floor and still continue to operate. Doing that with a typical laptop generally means you need to pay to get the...

severinsen70

Prominent
Oct 15, 2017
For your price point I'd be looking at 7th gen i7's/8th gen i5's. The 6200U is an old dual core cpu and the GPU is pretty weak. A 940mx (entry level ultrabook gaming gpu typically) is much more powerful.

It also depends what you want in a laptop, a smaller form factor(ultrabook) will typically have lower components but a higher battery life.

rgd1101

Don't
MERGED QUESTION
Question from zool33 : "Help me choose a laptop"

zool33

Commendable
Sep 19, 2016

This laptop cant be sent to my country and sadly the prices here are outrageous, the laptop you listed costs 1100 USD (3800 PLN) in my country.

Difficult to say because there could be import taxes in Poland that increases the price of the laptop compared to the US. For example, in Australia the price of laptops seem to sell for about 30% to 40% more compared to the US when converting the Australian price to back to US dollars.

The Polish Zloty is very weak compared to the US dollar; 1 PLN = about $0.30 USD. That would definitely have an effect on price. Based on the exchange rate alone a $500 USD laptop would cost roughly 1,667 PLN before any import fees / tax.

Taking into consideration that the ThinkPad e460 is a used laptop for 3,000 PLN, you can get something that is brand new and more powerful. Having said that, ThinkPads are pretty much designed as a semi-rugged laptop that take a beating since they are certified to operate in harsh conditions for the US military; referred to as "MIL-SPEC". There have been demonstrations of fully cups of water poured on top of a ThinkPad's keyboard with no affect on the laptop itself since it has built in drain holes. These laptops have also been drop from about 3 to 4 feet onto a hard floor and 9 feet onto what seems to be a thickly carpeted floor and still continue to operate. Doing that with a typical laptop generally means you need to pay to get the laptop repaired or simply buy a new laptop.

For 3,100 PLH, I recommend you consider the MSI GV62 which has a 7th generation quad core i5-7300HQ (2.5GHz base, up to 3.5GHz with one core), nVidia mx150, 1080p screen and 1TB hard drive.

http://allegro.pl/msi-gv62-i5-7300hq-8gb-1tb-mx150-fhd-ips-zestaw-i6945263438.html

The nVidia mx150 is basically in between a nVidia GTX 950m and GTX 960m. The ThinkPad's R7 M360 is a budget GPU that is about equal to a nVidia 920m. A little better than integrated graphics, but far worse than the mx150. The ThinkPad only a has a dual core i5-6200u CPU; good enough for games that only uses at most 2 cores. Basically, this means the MSI laptop is far better than the ThinkPad (a business laptop) when it comes to games.

The ThinkPad does have a SSD compared to the hard drive in the MSI laptop. That makes the laptop boot up faster and feel more responsive. However, while it is possible to play a very demanding game like the Witcher 3 on the MSI laptop at 1366x768 and medium settings... you can forget about even attempting to play that game with the ThinkPad at 1024x768 resolution on low settings.

Solution