Is this Program Legit?

Nigh

Honorable
May 12, 2013
This one: http://www.coderbag.com/Programming-C/Disable-CPU-Core-Parking-Utility

It says it will unpark my CPU and make games run better. I saw it on the RealVision ENB page, so it seems like it should be ok, but I want to make sure before I do anything to my CPU. Also, if it is legit, will it work with my CPU? I checked in resource monitor and cores 1, 3, 5, and 7 are parked. I have a i7 4770k overclocked at 4.2 GHz with a CM Hyper 212 EVO. Will the unparking increase my temps a lot? Thanks for any help!

Solution
Cores 0, 2 , 4, 6 are real cores. Cores 1, 3 ,5, 7 are hyper threaded cores. If you don't load all of your real cores, then windows will place all task on them. When you get those cores full, windows starts throwing tasks at the hyper threaded cores.

The parking of cores is a power saving feature. Once you start using them, the cores unpark. This is an automatic process on a low level and does not require a special software. The only thing you will achieve by using that software that you posted there is to increase your electricity bill. It will not give you any performance increase whatsoever. Moreover, it is likely to degrade performance, since it is editing critical windows files. My advice is - don't fix what is not broken. That...

Shneiky

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2011
Cores 0, 2 , 4, 6 are real cores. Cores 1, 3 ,5, 7 are hyper threaded cores. If you don't load all of your real cores, then windows will place all task on them. When you get those cores full, windows starts throwing tasks at the hyper threaded cores.

The parking of cores is a power saving feature. Once you start using them, the cores unpark. This is an automatic process on a low level and does not require a special software. The only thing you will achieve by using that software that you posted there is to increase your electricity bill. It will not give you any performance increase whatsoever. Moreover, it is likely to degrade performance, since it is editing critical windows files. My advice is - don't fix what is not broken. That software is for stopping cores being parked so they will be always unparked, not for increasing performance.

Solution

PyjamasCat

Honorable
Mar 20, 2013

^Yep. Windows can decide whether you need the extra performance or not anyway. If a core is parked, it isn't needed. If your on a powersaver plan, switching to high performance will get more performance than that program.