Is this refurbished laptop worth it?

violentrl

Honorable
Apr 20, 2012
Here is the laptop:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834231238

I've never owned an Asus product and I think they're a reputable brand. Overall it seems like a fantastic deal but I've never bought refurbished products before so if anyone with similar experience can tell me if this is worth buying, I'd like to know. My current laptop is starting to get problematic with constant crashes to the point where it's unbearable at times. I'm pressed for budget as well and if someone can link me to a better laptop, I wanna see that as well.

Solution
It suppose if you plan on playing games that can take advantage of 4 cores, then it makes sense.

Personally, I would go for a quad core and that extra $100 also includes a higher resolution screen (which will lower performance), and 8GB of RAM instead of 6GB. I use my laptop for more than just games. A quad core provides better video encoding performance and while a 1366x768 resolution screen is fine for playing games, it's not really enough for multi-tasking which I tend to do a lot. Also the 1600x900 resolution screen makes it easier to snipe at long range especially when not using a scope.

ronintexas

Honorable
Dec 10, 2012
I have had great experiences with refurbished products and bad ones....NewEgg will back you 30 days on the laptop, and ASUS is a good brand.

One of the great ones - In 2003 I bought a refurbished 19" Dell Monitor (LCD), and it is still going strong....it has been going longer than 3 other monitors I have purchased new.

dextermat

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007
Here's the way I see it:

Why spend 700 $ on a used laptop witch by the way had problems and you only get 90 days warranty on it.
You can probably have something the same price and similar specs but with a full year warranty.

Refurbishing companies has to step up to the plate and take responsibilities on what they sell.
Personally I would never buy used laptop because you never know what gonna happen.

I would go for the following Lenovo Y410p for $699 new.

http://shop.lenovo.com/ca/en/laptops/ideapad/y-series/y410p/

The Lenovo Y410p has the GT 750m with DDR5 RAM instead of the more common DDR3 RAM. This means it should be almost / just as powerful as the GT 660m.

It suppose if you plan on playing games that can take advantage of 4 cores, then it makes sense.

Personally, I would go for a quad core and that extra $100 also includes a higher resolution screen (which will lower performance), and 8GB of RAM instead of 6GB. I use my laptop for more than just games. A quad core provides better video encoding performance and while a 1366x768 resolution screen is fine for playing games, it's not really enough for multi-tasking which I tend to do a lot. Also the 1600x900 resolution screen makes it easier to snipe at long range especially when not using a scope.

Solution