Diamond_G

Prominent
May 11, 2017
I heared that if i have a vm and make a shared folder to read-only,viryses can't escape the guest that easily anymore...should i belive it because i just want to experiment with viruses on a vm.Also please tell me other things to keep in mind when doing this.Thanks.

Solution

The 'chances' are 100% if the virus is written to do that, and has write access to something else.
'Read only' mitigates that possibility a lot. But I still wouldn't trust it. Especially with a system (or VM) I am purposely infecting.

But as said...if the virus detects that it is in a VM...it may just shut...

mdd1963

Distinguished
Let's not confuse 'virus' with malware....

If you are dealing with true destructive malware designed to spread on networks, it is best to isolate the system you are testing from others, even if intent is only infecting a VM contained within.

Have a full image backup of the host, in case something goes wrong.

Diamond_G

Prominent
May 11, 2017

1.is using NAT network and no shared folders considered isolating?
2.Is a read-only shared folder safer than no shared folders?

USAFRet

Illustrious
1. Viruses can absolutely escape a VM.
2. Viruses can also detect being in a VM, and simply shut down. Rendering your investigation and experimentation useless.

Best and safest way to test/investigate/play with viruses and other malware is with a fully airgapped other system.

Diamond_G

Prominent
May 11, 2017
What would be the chances for a virus to escape the vm?
Also is NAT network and a read only shared folder a safe way to do this?

USAFRet

Illustrious

The 'chances' are 100% if the virus is written to do that, and has write access to something else.
'Read only' mitigates that possibility a lot. But I still wouldn't trust it. Especially with a system (or VM) I am purposely infecting.

But as said...if the virus detects that it is in a VM...it may just shut itself down. Giving you no real results.

Solution