Is this 'Used' gaming laptop worth £800?

Jun 21, 2018
Hi I'm buying the DELL G3 i7 - 8750H, 1060 6GB MAX Q, 16GB RAM, 256 SSD.

from someone online (we are meeting in person so everything should be safe) and he ask for £800. Is the price worth it? He said its been used 4 months and I asked him to do a benchmark test and max temps he gets is around 85c and idle temp around 40ish.

I can get a brand new EVGA SC15 for £1000 is it worth spending £200 for the SC15? Specs are the same but the CPU is a 7700HQ.

Appreciate some advice thanks :)

Solution
For the gaming at 1080p 60hz, i'd take the Dell. It has a very capable CPU. A pretty good GPU. At 1080p the gtx1060 Max q is still a great performer. I'd prob take that. Second choice would be the The EVGA. Slightly less capable CPU, but great GPU chops for high/ultra settings at 1080p. Plus it has the 120hz panel. The GTX1060 will push 120hz/fps in a lot of games, not all and less so for newer games coming out.

For the newer tech, I'd take the Dell. I'd agree with vapour. I'd never buy second hand. You just don't know what kind of abuse it has received.

:) No, I'm not keithtalent on AT :)

Sorry for the late reply. I'm in Ireland so times difference is possible, but also because I'm having to work my butt off, so have little time to...

keith12

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2008
Hmmm good question. Some good and not so good things about each one :

The Dell with the I7 8750 has a great CPU. The GTX1060 Max Q is decent, but not a full speed 1060. Vapour's Asus, has a full sized GTX1060, but with a much weaker CPU, than either of the others. At that res, CPU clockspeed can really push a few more FPS out of a GPU. The EVGA is somewhere in the middle. It has an i7 7700hq which is still very decent (better than the I5 in the Asus, but not as good as the I7 in the Dell.) The EVGA has a full sized GTX1060 and also a 120hz panel.

Its a real tough one.

I'd choose the EVGA or the Dell. The CPU in the Asus along with only 8gb of ram really turns me off that one.

Jun 21, 2018

I still cant decide lol. Which one would you pick? I play PUBG and the upcoming Monster Hunter World if that helps.

Also are you Kiethtalent on AT? :D

keith12

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2008
For the gaming at 1080p 60hz, i'd take the Dell. It has a very capable CPU. A pretty good GPU. At 1080p the gtx1060 Max q is still a great performer. I'd prob take that. Second choice would be the The EVGA. Slightly less capable CPU, but great GPU chops for high/ultra settings at 1080p. Plus it has the 120hz panel. The GTX1060 will push 120hz/fps in a lot of games, not all and less so for newer games coming out.

For the newer tech, I'd take the Dell. I'd agree with vapour. I'd never buy second hand. You just don't know what kind of abuse it has received.

:) No, I'm not keithtalent on AT :)

Sorry for the late reply. I'm in Ireland so times difference is possible, but also because I'm having to work my butt off, so have little time to respond.

Good luck with the choice.

Solution