ISPs Soon Forced to Police Your Internet Behavior?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kentlowt

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006
[citation][nom]reddragon72[/nom]This would be the same as a family suing a car manufacture and a beer company cause a drunk driver killed one or more family members in a car crash caused by the drunk driver.[/citation]
This happens all the time. You must have been living under a rock.

bill gates is your daddy

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
[citation][nom]david714[/nom]ISPs don't have the technology to do this level of policing. If copyrighted content is compressed or encrypted how on earth will they be able to tell what it is? They may suspect you are downloading that new movie, but that's it...[/citation]

In America's NWO police state suspicion is all they need. Your ISP sees you pulling down 40GB worth of password protect files and guess what...they release your name to Homeland Security or whatever new big brother enforcement agency will be created for policing and there you have it.

We live in a world now of guilty until you prove your innocence and good luck with that one.

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
Okay so I take my Chevy car and run it into a family of 10 kids, can the family sue Ford for making the car? Didn't think so. IF this passes, I P R O M I S E a NON-PEACEFUL revolution in the U.S.

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
wow apparently everyone thought of the same idea that I did (with the car sue-ing view). And then the car company can turn around and sue the state government for putting the roads there and the state can turn around and sue the feds for requiring that there be roads to get to work.

G

I dont know if this has been said but come on!!!!!!!!!!
This would be like holding car manufacturers responsible for people who use a vehicle to get away from any crime. Or holding banks responsible for someone bouncing a check or what it clients do with their own money. Holding phone companies responsible for people using phone lines for illegal activities, or best yet holding a mall owner responsible for the shitty product its tenants stores sell. Get real people

mparham

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
What next. Are alcohol companies going to start suing Ford and GMC because someone baought one of thier cars and drove drunk? The only person that should be held liable is the person that does the crime. There will always be someone that misuses things, the rest of the people should not be punished and innocent users will bepunished under this plan. If Telco gets sued for what a customer does, what do you think they are going to do with the cost of the lawsuit and settlement. They will have to raise prices for everyone else to offset the cost. The film and music industry has a right to protect thier property, but they sometimes go too far. There are times you just need to relax and accept the enormous amount of money you are making and let the few bad ones go, or at least focus your efforts where the most damage is done.

asjflask

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
This sounds like a cheap way to really just use a cover story to get at gun manufacturers even more. So if Suzy shoots Tom and kills him, it's all of a sudden Remington's fault because she used one of their guns. It's the same crap -- our stupid government has interfered in the lives of citizens for too long and it has NO BUSINESS at all being involved in our lives or businesses. If you are a politician reading this F--- OFF!

skit75

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
What about encryption? Wouldn't the logical step after ISP police are installed be that, everyone just starts encrypting everything?

azxcvbnm321

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2008
Fine then, I don't think fining a pirate $250,000 and banning him from the internet forever is such a big deal either then.

Just listen to this kind of BS, this is exactly why harsh measures are needed, there isn't any other way anymore. You people who refuse to condemn pirating and won't do jack to pressure people not to pirate are forcing the rest of us to do something. If pirating could be made as socially unacceptable as drunk driving (which by the way was a joke at one time, no one cared if someone else drove drunk), then maybe all these new measures wouldn't be needed. But you people support piraters and so there isn't any other recourse but to use draconian laws to stop pirating because it has to stop.

A growing number of goods and services are digital. The future economy will increasingly focus on making these digital goods like music and other entertainment. If pirating continues unabated, then these future industries will be choked off, already record companies are having to downsize, I know that means nothing to you pirates, but that means thousands of layoffs and less people employed. We cannot let this go on, somewhere a stand has to be made and pirating has to be discouraged with harsh penalties that will make someone think twice about pirating even if chances are he won't be caught that one time. Just look over the posts on this board and you see no fear of pirating, no remorse, just pure greed. How can I get more? How can I keep on stealing and taking someone else's work without giving them due? And no, it's not up to you to decide how much to give, it's up to them to decide, if you don't like it, don't buy or make your own. You force this act. It's on you.

G

I couldn't give a damn about losing hollywood or the major music industry, we'll make out own entertainment - you tube during the writers strike - and read more books.

What no ones mentioned is how they go about doing this.
1. Your torrent client connect to peers on a particular torrent, the ip addresses are clear to anyone connected.
2. A body hired by hollywood et al uploads a torrent that they know is 100% illegal, or downloads 100% of 1.
3. They take a list of peer ips that have downloaded at least, say 5mb of a torrent.
4. They do a whois on the ip, find who hosts that range - the isp - and contact them citing the evidence and the record.
5. The isp now has knowledge of criminal activity and must act, else be held liable or culpable themselves; you witness a murder in the street it's ditto.
6. The isp will contact you forwarding the email from the third party and issue you with a warning or just kick you.
The solutions are obvious.

Status
Not open for further replies.