ISPs to Start Throttling Pirates, More by July 12

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

K2N hater

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
This is pretty much a guess game as most apps used for pirate (as well as legit) file sharing can be set to encrypt anything. So what we're to see is that any encrypted connection that transmiths or receives a lot of data will be flagged as pirate. Sounds bad enough? Now figure they won't mess with businessmen who pay a grand for dedicated links so anyone willing to remove the throttle will have to pay high as well.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]wiyosaya[/nom]What is encrypted is the packet payload. Headers cannot be encrypted because IP traffic routing would not work.Through a VPN, though, what will be in the unencrypted header is the IP address of the VPN server and the client, i.e., downloader's IP. What would not be in the header is the source IP of the server where the file is located.Going through a VPN like this would make it difficult at best for an ISP to trace based on the IP of a file hosting site. It will not, however, mask high-volume traffic - as others have pointed out to me - to any computer that is downloading mass amounts of data.Absolutely correct. Thanks for pointing that out.[/citation]
When someone uses VPN to conceal piracy, the ISP does know that large amounts of data is transferred between the client and the VPN server. But that's it! Since transferring a large amount of data isn't illegal, the ISP is powerless.

At work for example, everyday we store a backup of our data on a remote server through a secure VPN. At the end of the month we have quite a large amount of data transferred using a secure VPN, this doesn't means I'm doing anything illegally.

G

[citation][nom]HEXiT[/nom]all you gotta do is switch to a provider that wont throttle you. [/citation]

There's a better option: Just cancel your account. You get enough people doing it, the company will either get greedier, change their ways or go bankrupt.

G

Cloud sharing via purchased share space is the next form of piracy

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]All they have to do is monitor your bandwidth.... I was doing that 10 years ago when I worked in the NOC for an ISP. Very easy to pick out offenders and very easy to shut their modems down.[/citation]
i don't think our contracts mention anything about data cap....let them try....i will sue their ass off...easy money...as long as you stay withing your speed cap the amount of data you download should not be their concern

ProDigit10

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010
we knew this would happen some day!
That's why many frantically downloaded and hoarded data for a moment like this!
All they have to do is now enjoy their libraries of data,which most likely will give them enough stuff until the end of their lives!!

poxenium

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2009
Next stop, you'll be strip searched on the street by policemen and you'll get a warning stamp on your hand: DIGITAL CONTENT SMUGGLER nr. XYZ...

3BRP

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2010
The future is magnet links - no .torrent files to host or download, nothing to track or intercept. No way to know who created the file and no way to stop it. They will never win.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
How are they able to tell if you download a piece of software legally or not? after all it is legal to download a crack to a game you own or a digital copy of a cd you've bought (at least here).
Maybe they don't even need proof that you're a pirate in order to sanction you? a sort of guilty until proven otherwise system where any potential threat to the oppressor will simply be silenced until it runs away?

computernerdforlife

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
I purchased Borderlands on Steam on sale and the game did not run. After a quick google search: "Borderlands Steam won't start" it shows that it has not been adapted to Windows 8. Format, new nvidia Windows 8 drivers, disable physx,... It just wont work for anyone with Windows 8.

Torrent the same game: I get an physx error at startup but the game works. So now I play the non-legal version at night. I purchased the legal version that both Steam support and Borderlands choose not to help me with. This is why this is necessary - stupid devs.

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
The problem I have with this is that people who use e.g. Netflix or Youtube and download legal content will also be scrutinized, and possibly throttled. Why? Because it is in the best interest of the ISPs (in particular the cable cos) not to be diligent about preventing such mistakes.

"Oh... you mean you weren't actually pirating all of those movies you downloaded from Netflix? Well, isn't that just a kicker! Let's sort all this out. In the meantime, you can still use your Comcast Movies on Demand of course! Isn't that great? And our service will never cause you to be scrutinized for potential piracy, I can assure you!"

Yay. Where's Sherman Antitrust when you need it?

magicandy

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2008
This won't change anything if you have Cox cable for internet. They already work with publishers to send out warnings/shut people off for repeat piracy offenses. They also throttle anyone that uses more than their monthly bandwidth cap (which is usually reasonable; mine is 250 GB/mo for their 30 mbps teir), regardless of piracy.

Basically as long as you're on a private tracker and you encrypt your torrents, you're fine. Don't be an idiot and use Pirate Bay. It only takes a few seconds of being connected to a torrent that's being monitored by publishers for Cox to be sent the notice to warn you. It's all automatic know. Connect to a pirate bay torrent > be detected by automated monitor > instantly get e-mail warning from Cox. It happens in seconds and three times means you're banned from Cox.

magicandy

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2008
[citation][nom]magicandy[/nom]It's all automatic know. [/citation]

That should read "It's all automatic now". Why does Toms' edit button in the forums randomly vanish at times?

bucknutty

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2010
How do they know that what your downloading is ilegal or not? For example what if i want to reinstall steam on a new drive and i want to download every game in my library. I got about 100 games at about 10 gigs each. Will they be able to tell that what I am doing is legal? Lets say i decided to only download 1 game per day for 100 days? I dont like the idea of automated anti piracy counter measures?

Megaupload is a good example, sure the site had sketchy content but not all was bad, I have friends in bands that put all their MP3s there. Totally free to Download (thier music sucked so no one would buy it) but the point it is if i download thier free music from a sketchy site am i now labeled a pirate by the robocop system?

Crush3d

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
They don't actually care about piracy or what you are downloading.. they really only care that you are using an immense amount of bandwidth relative to casual users that only browse facebook and use google. This costs them money and the "piracy" topic is a perfect veil to disguise their true incentive for putting this system in place - reduction of bandwidth usage to save money.

audioee

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2007
I will guess that net neutrality rules are out the window when this goes into effect. Legal sites such as Netflix, YouTube, Steam, etc. will have their IP addresses registered with the ISP on some sort of "Do not block / throttle" list and all sites that have questionable content will not be allowed on the list unless they agree to some sort of content monitoring & tracking.

So much for a living in a country run be the people for the people. Capitalism at any cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.