Israeli Authorities Confiscate iPads, Block Imports

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]ss78[/nom]Fact: Jobs IS the new Hitler![/citation]

Comparing Steve Jobs to a man that enslaved and murdered millions of people and started a world war that would kill millions of others. Bravo.

G

Wireless implicated in health issues? Not in any credible, proven way. You're smoking crack. Try worrying about the dangers of dihydrogen monoxide.

thrust2night

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2007
Why don't they just launch an IsraeliPad and provide those to the people whose iPads they have confiscated. This way their slaves ... I mean citizens get to use products approved by their Master ... I mean government.

zachary k

Distinguished
May 14, 2009
this is stupid, why does everyone feel like they need their own wireless standard. lets just have ONE standard, i don't care if it the American, or European standard, we just need one.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
Interesting. The over simplicity of an Apple product has hurt it tangibly here.

Couldn't the iPad use a built-in GPS chip to determine it's country, and then make sure to adjust the wireless signal oblivious to the customer?

tpi2007

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
There must be some undisclosed detail missing here.

If this were true, then no Americans could travel to Europe with their laptops. That's just ridiculous, and it just doesn't happen.

Uberragen21

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009
America just found another reason to stop supporting Israel. Now to get the wealthy Jewish in America to stop filling the pockets of politicians will be the difficult part. Israel has been causing commotion in their region for decades, and has had the support of America for WAY too long. This just goes to show how militaristic Israel has truly become. Some day we'll rank them right up there with the militaristic countries like Russia, China, N. Korea.

backin5

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
[citation][nom]Repelsteeltje[/nom]Device not kosher? :p[/citation]

Well, Passover was just two weeks ago, and the iPad does look a bit like a matza. Maybe if airport security were to open fire on it with a machine gun, it would have resembled a matza even more, and maybe then it could have been certified as Kosher.

tearlach2

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]Comparing Steve Jobs to a man that enslaved and murdered millions of people and started a world war that would kill millions of others. Bravo.[/citation]
I believe it is an apt comparison. Either Hitler or Obama.

dauthus

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009
[citation][nom]uberragen21[/nom]America just found another reason to stop supporting Israel. Now to get the wealthy Jewish in America to stop filling the pockets of politicians will be the difficult part. Israel has been causing commotion in their region for decades, and has had the support of America for WAY too long. This just goes to show how militaristic Israel has truly become. Some day we'll rank them right up there with the militaristic countries like Russia, China, N. Korea.[/citation]

Can the apple-fanboy anti-israel fanatics please stop posting non-sensical bullshit? The comments here should be about legitimate and technical reasons for banning Ipads, not your personal racist vendettas.

Luscious

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
[citation][nom]Repelsteeltje[/nom]Device not kosher? :p[/citation]
My exact first thought as well.
[citation][nom]backin5[/nom]Well, Passover was just two weeks ago, and the iPad does look a bit like a matza. Maybe if airport security were to open fire on it with a machine gun, it would have resembled a matza even more, and maybe then it could have been certified as Kosher.[/citation]
LOL!

raskarpas

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
This whole thing doesn't sound Kosher to me, as an israeli citizen.
While iPhones weren't officially sold here, they were 'smuggled' across customs in 100s of thousands - someone must have lost money on it, probably iDigital that was marketing them after 2-3 years.
So i bet someone in the Comm. Ministry (which is completely redundant and useless in this country btw) got a fat bonus to issue this kind of restriction.

It sure has nothing to do with military frequencies, saying that is admitting complete ignorance in so many fields, both military and RF :p

Zingam

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
[citation][nom]belfryjeffrey[/nom]Wireless implicated in health issues? Not in any credible, proven way. You're smoking crack. Try worrying about the dangers of dihydrogen monoxide.[/citation]

Steve Jobs is in fact a Lebanese and that means he is a mortal enemy to Israel by birth. No wonder why they forbid the iPad there.

raskarpas

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
This is even more ridiculous if you consider the fact, that thousands of Israelis are buying laptops @ USA and bring'em over here. These laptops are also compliant with USA WiFi standards aren't they? And yet no one stops them at customs.
Even though I am closer to being an Apple hater rather than a fanboy, this is discriminating to say the least.

Status
Not open for further replies.